BBOTD - 7th of August

3:10 Newmarket - Spirit Of Sharjah - 1pt WIN @ 22/1 (Bet365) Another longshot, but one that I think has a solid enough chance. Got no luck in running on last two outings, had to switch his run last time out and ran on well near the end to be 3 1/2 lengths behind St Moritz in 7th. He has since had a month off and should strip better for that little rest and with a top class 7lb claimer on board I feel that weight and the jockeys abilities can see him go very close if getting those gaps. He has won in Listed company before and is back to a turf mark that I feel he can be competitive off, especially with the 7lbs taken off his back. It looks a tough race to call but there are many doubts to be had about numerous members of the field with many seemingly out of form and a few stepping up in class. This fellow certainly has the ability to make a mockery of this price and is rarely beaten by far. If he gets the gaps I'm adamant he'll place at least, it's a doubtful if in such a large field but with 4 places paid I think he's certainly worth a small each way bet. Would be surprised if he goes off anywhere near 22/1.

Re: BBOTD - 7th of August Capercaillie 5.05 Ascot 25-1 Stan James (BOG) Each Way Started its career with 2 wins from 2 races and looked to be going places but flopped twice in Group 2 company, beaten by 7 lengths and 6 lengths ad then also flopped at listed level, beaten by 12 1/2 lengths. 2 wins were both over 5f and has plenty of speed. Had a break and then had one run this year at Doncaster when it still showed the ability to quicken from 2f out but faded to 4th of 5 when headed at the 1f pole. Johnstone was adamant that this was a group horse and it was clearly held in high regard to be thrown straight in at Group 2 level after its initial 2 wins. I still believe he will get it right with this horse, maybe a change of tactics and if he does the 25-1 will look massive. He is still in fair form with 16 winners in the last 14 days. If that last race was about needing the run for fitness then today could be the day it finally wins again and shows some of the class and promise the trainer believes the horse has. No ground concerns, won on good to firm 1st time out.

This thread has more posts. To see them, you'll need to sign up or sign in.