** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

Taking a price on Betfair

A couple of hours I checked a price of a pick I was going for tomorrow. It was at 10, so I thought I better sleep on it incase if drifts overnight. I checked back about half an hour ago and it had dropped to 3.95! I can understand why early prices on exchanges fluctuate so much, but what happened next surprised me! I set the odds to back at 10, in the hope that it would be matched overnight, and it was instantly matched at 11.86! Does anyone have any idea why this happened?

Re: Taking a price on Betfair

A couple of hours I checked a price of a pick I was going for tomorrow. It was at 10, so I thought I better sleep on it incase if drifts overnight. I checked back about half an hour ago and it had dropped to 3.95! I can understand why early prices on exchanges fluctuate so much, but what happened next surprised me! I set the odds to back at 10, in the hope that it would be matched overnight, and it was instantly matched at 11.86! Does anyone have any idea why this happened?
Betfair early prices fluctuate a lot the night before a race, so I wouldn't read too much into it :ok

Re: Taking a price on Betfair

Sounds to me like you put your bet in to the machine at the exact same time the layer put his bet in. Then there was a non-runner (reduction factor to make the .86 part). Poor liquidity and punters taking their expected prices from poor sportinglife / racingpost website's betting forecasts the night before, can mean vast fluctuations from late night to early morning exchange prices. On one Goodwood race a couple of weeks ago, I put a price in to back a Garry Moore horse at 79/1. Amazed to see part of it taken in the morning and down to 16/1. SP 11/2, finished nowhere. The small amount traded would've meant I'd have lost had it won anyway, with all my other bets taken in to account. Also had a bit of 25/1 taken for the winner, SP around 12/1. Yet not enough of that was taken for me to show a profit either.:lol

Re: Taking a price on Betfair Yeah, any odds that have been put up to less than a £2 stake do not appear visible in the blue boxes, and you have to click the graph icon (right on the left of each row, next to the racecard number) to see the amounts waiting to be matched. For example if some layer wants to lay a horse at 50.0 to a £1.50 stake it will appear as £0 in the 50.0 box on that graph as it does not meet the £2 minimum bet. This may be because half of the bet was earlier matched, as mentioned above, or the layer themself may have adjusted his stake to get around the £2 minimum bet, as you can get around it in a few steps. There are times when the best visible odds in the blue boxes from the layers have been, say 10, backers were waiting to back at 16.0, I have wanted 12.0 but ended up getting some of the 14.0 that was left, but didnt see it because the money at that amount was less than £2...