** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

What makes a good system?

Hi guys I am just wondering what contributing factors you all take into account when making up your own football systems. Is there any point in using past 4,5 or 6 games? As this wouldnot take into account who the opponent was? Do you use previous goals scored and conceeded? Do you use league positions? Do you use a weighting scoring system for use with your chosen factors? Any help would be appreciated. Regards Dave

Re: What makes a good system? Hi Dave! Having found this forum only last December, I would see myself as an amateur when it comes to football systems. Everyone has their own ways coming up with their own systems. Personally, I would look for trends in the odds and results for the past 5 seasons of major leagues like EPL, Serie A, Primera, etc. (The data is all available at http://www.football-data.co.uk) Based on what has worked or has not worked for the past 5 seasons, I would see if there is something to pick up from it. Back-testing can be a lot of hard work but it helps a little if you could use Excel. Then comes the betting strategy, whether you want it to be level stakes, you want to increase/decrease stakes at certain points of the season. Of course, you can do a paper trail first before using real money. So far I have only 1 system to show: http://www.punterslounge.com/forum/f21/close-games-96371/#post1586317 Feel free to take a look if you are interested. There are many successful (and unsuccessful) systems in this thread. If you have the time, you can look at some of the more popular ones (the ones with more views). In the end, it's a little like trial and error. I believe with effort and hard work, there will be results. :)