Royal Ascot - Day 3 - Thursday 17th June

4.25 Ascot WHITE DEVIL ran better than the bare margin of defeat showed last time out at Kempton and was fast finishing on the winner. He is still a maiden but has shown plenty of ability and with placed form over the trip he has stronger staying claims that some of these. The yard are in good form and the horse is open to further improvement. 33/1 Blue Square, EW 5.35 Ascot AGENT ARCHIE is improving nicely and has benefitted for the step up in trip to middle distances. He has been handed a 5 lb rise for his most recent success but with Kieren Fox on board he should remain competitive and the prospect of this longer trip also appeals. 16/1 Bet 365, EW

Re: Royal Ascot - Day 3 - Thursday 17th June Royal Ascot – Day 3 2.30 Norfolk There is only one yard to follow in the 2 year old races this year, and that is The Hannon yard. They have already played a strong hand in the form of Smart Suit in the Coventry earlier in the week, and they send ZEBEDEE to the races tomorrow. He has won both his starts this yard well, after being sent off odds on favourites each time. I was at Windsor for his debut run, and Richard Hannon told connections afterwards that Zebedee was ‘probably’ his best 2 year old. If that is true, then it could be game over for the rest of the field here tomorrow. There are a few classy looking types in the races, none less than Dinkum Diamond, but I do think that it will prove profitable to be faithful to the Hannon/Hughes combination that seems to be firing on all cylinders at the moment. Bet – BACK ZEBEDEE 3.05 Ribblesdale There are 2 horses I like the look of here, and they happen to fill the front to in the market. GERTRUDE BELL and PRINCIPAL ROLE do look to be worthy first and second favourites, and it could be down to these 2 to fight out the finish. Firstly, PRINCIPAL ROLE. She goes for the in form Henry Cecil yard, and is a high class filly, already having won twice. Between those two wins come sandwiched a couple of slightly disappointing runs, but the fact that she won so nicely last time out would indicate that she has found her feet once again this season, and has to be taken into consideration. The step up in trip to 1m4f should also play into Principal Role’s hands, as she seemed to be staying on strongly at the end in her recent Newbury victory. Gertrude Bell is a classy type, who ran in the Oaks at Epsom, but did not cover herself in glory that day. The step down in class may help her, but it would have to be a career best nonetheless to win this one. It is not out of the question though, and a market check is required to see if there is money behind her. Bet – BACK PRINCIPAL ROLE (take note on any move for Gertrude Bell) 3.45 – Gold Cup Traditionally the highlight of the week, the Gold Cup looks like to be a decent renewal and there are a good few who could have their say in the finish. I have heard good things about Manifest, who could provide the second winner of the day for Henry Cecil in this race. However, it is a runner at far larger odds who I think has been vastly under-rated. AKMAL won from the front at Sandown recently, and was not given that hard a ride in the process. It was an excellent ride from Richard Hills that day that won the race, and I am hopeful that the same can happen tomorrow. With a near 50% win strike rate, Akmal knows what it takes to win races, and I think he will relish the step up in trip. At odds of 16/1, he is a great value each way call in a tough looking race to solve. Bet – AKMAL (e/w) 4.25 – Britannia Another lottery for us to solve, and it was worth watching where the money went in the big handicap on Day 2. Market movers usually do well at the Royal meeting, so keep an eye out for any noticeable movements. There is one horse who I think could stand a very good chance in this super competitive race though, and that is HYPNOTIZED. Highly progressive, and lightly raced, Hypnotized should have much more to come. He has already won on 2 occasions, albeit in far smaller fields, but he knows what is needed to win races, and the trainer is having a decent enough season too. Michael Bell has won this race in the past, so knows what it takes to get a horse ready for this cavalry charge, and hopefully he will have done the same thing tomorrow, with Hypnotized coming home infront. Bet – HYPNOTIZED (e/w) 5.00 Hampton Court On paper, this is a really nice looking race, and one in which quite a few have chances. It is foolish to ignore a well fancied Luca Cumani runner however, and the money seems to have come for AFSARE today. He is a really progressive type, who will be competing in fancier races before long. It is hoped that he can bag this listed event before moving on to group company in the near future. He has already won on a number of occasions, at Newmarket and then at Doncaster. He has got o be feared here, especially as Fallon takes the ride, and there are few better judges than him at the moment. He is very well fancied to have too much in the tank for the rest of the field. If the Ballydoyle runners were in form, then Fencing Master would have a good chance, but there cold streak is getting worrying, and it is best to stick with the very well regarded AFSARE. 5.35 – King George V DANDINO can bring the day to a winning close in this 12f handicap. He is seeking a four-timer and it is a distinct possibility that he will get it. He was mightily impressive last time out at Epsom, when he stayed on really well at the finish. That was over 10f, and it is thought that the extra 2 furlongs he will tackle tomorrow will plat right into his hands. There is an interesting horse in the field in the form of London Stripe, but I think any value for Sir Michael Stoute’s charge has dried up. Bet – BACK DANDINO.

This thread has more posts. To see them, you'll need to sign up or sign in.