Liquidity in trading

Hi there, I recently did an attempt to trade the unders in the France v China match, and though it was successful, it didn't pay out near what I had expected. Hell, the first 10 minutes the odds even rose above what I had backed (2.5), and it was only after 10 minutes that they started falling again, and I managed to sell the unders at 2.32. This isn't a pattern I've seen elsewhere, where the unders tend to fall right from the start really. Now, I didn't watch the game, so it could be that France ran straight into attack and thus caused a reaction in the market, but my initial thought was low liquidity. Atm, there's about £250k matched in the market - is this considered too little for this kind of trading? At what point to you consider a market to be "ready" for trading, liquidity-wise? I look forward to your replies :ok

Re: Liquidity in trading I didn't watch the game either, but I believe that only reason for such a trend of odds was the one you spotted - game probably looked attacking, so backers decided that unders are worth more than 2.50, therefore not accepting lower odds for time you mentioned. Liquidity of 250 k is very high, common for this market, and it surely was not reason for such a behaviour of odds. Match odds and over/under 2.5 are most traded markets, and they usually do not have troubles with liquidity. In my experience, in other less popular markets, there is no point to enter if there is less than about 2.000 EUR matched at beginning of the game; 5.000 is fair liquidity, and if there is 10.000, it is quite good, and there will be no problems to get bets matched. I said "at beginning of the game", but sometimes some markets can significantly increase their liquidity during game; for example, under/over 4.5 usually does not have very high liquidity; but if there are two or three fast goals (I mean early goals, or goals in short period of time, five to ten minutes, not very close to the end of game), its liquidity (as well as odds for unders) will suddenly rise. By the way, you say you sold at 2.32 after backing at 2.50; though, I think laying is considered as buying, not selling - one needs to buy at lower price and sell at higher price to make profit. :unsure

Re: Liquidity in trading Oh, I've always considered bookies as sellers rather than buyers... Anyways, thanks a lot for the reply, I must admit I thought I'd need higher liquidity than that, but this is great news, opens for more markets. Cheers! :ok

Re: Liquidity in trading

Oh, I've always considered bookies as sellers rather than buyers... Anyways, thanks a lot for the reply, I must admit I thought I'd need higher liquidity than that, but this is great news, opens for more markets. Cheers! :ok
You welcome! :ok I'm not sure for this terminology sell / buy, I don't use it, but I thought it's logical to buy low, sell high; that's why I put smiley :unsure above, maybe someone else will open some light onto it.