MTV Europe Music Awards - Best Male

I'm having only my third maximum bet ever on - yes - the MTV Music Awards. The Best Male nominations are:- Usher, Robbie Williams, Justin Timberlake, Nelly & Jay-Z.. Looking at that group of singers, Robbie, Justin and Nelly had better years in 2003 (when they were releasing their key albums). Ok Robbie has just released a 'Greatest Hits' album in the past couple of weeks, but surely too late? Jay Z is a possible outsider, but Usher is the 'main man' of 2004 and has one of the of the MTV songs of this year - 'Yeah'. You can back Usher at a ridiculously good price of 4/9 with Blue Square (he is 1/5 with Bet365) - Fill yer boots as the saying goes!! :ok

Re: MTV Europe Music Awards - Best Male I've done an article for the Inside Edge website about two weeks ago about this (even boasted about it in General Chat, I'll dig it out on Friday morning to show off how much of a loser I am if I get n/one, two or even three out of three right). Yeah, unless something happens between now and Thursday or that this is a complete fix (and it usually is), Usher should pick up at least two awards (Best Male and Best Album). The odds suggest OutKast despite not putting in an appearance (I dunno, they may be sitting in the audience) look 'certainties' to get Best Group and Best Song. Beyonce might get Best Female but I'm thinking it will probably go to Anastacia or Alicia Keys (the 'turn up and we'll give you something for it' principle). A slight plunge has gone on Maroon 5 to get Best New Act from looking at the odds but I've already hedged my bets between them and Franz Ferdinand.

Re: MTV Europe Music Awards - Best Male My brother told me about this yesterday, and just put £90 on Usher @ 4/9. That's the most i've ever had on a single bet before, but not worried as it should be like printing money..! ;) Stereoman, just checked out your article, but had trouble getting into the Inside Edge site. Wish I'd had known about this when Usher was evens! :o I hope you don't mind me posting the article.

inside_edge_head_pic_1587.png Thursday 18th November InsideEdge reader David Yung gives us his personal lowdown on this year's MTV Europe Music Awards - and shares his top tips for the event. The idea that this is an awards ceremony to celebrate all that's popular (definitely not the best) in Europe is, in my opinion, a sham. First of all, it's dominated by US artists. And second, it's supposed to be a showcase for US artists in Europe. Last year's show in Edinburgh cost the Scottish taxpayer a hefty sum of money just to help stage it and this time it's the turn of the Italians in Rome, who will have to shoulder what is most likely going to be another fairly mediocre show on Thursday, November 18th. This year's show is to be hosted by US hip-hop star and host of MTV's 'Pimp My Ride' Xzibit. After managing to get stars such as Christina Aguilera in 2003, P.Diddy in 2002, Ali G in 2001 and Wyclef Jean in 2000 it's a bit of a letdown, but it's a huge gig for Xzibit to host the event (the only people who are probably excited for him landing this gig is his friends, family and his business associates). The winners used to be picked by an 800-member "voting academy" consisting of key record executives in the music industry and MTV viewers from across Europe but NOW, it's only by online voting through the MTV Europe website (oh goody). The main rule of thumb here is....if you turn up, you're more likely to win. Three bookies have put up odds (Bet365, Blue Square and Skybet. Best prices will be notified and credited in brackets). Let's analyse who will collect the online votes of us European folk: BEST GROUP 2004 OutKast - 11/10 (Blue Square) Maroon 5 - 7/2 (Skybet) D-12 - 4/1 (Bet365/Blue Square) Black Eyed Peas - 11/2 (Skybet) Beastie Boys - 14/1 (Bet365) The Beastie Boys, Eminem and Maroon 5 are performing and the Black Eyed Peas are presenting. There's tremendous value in the Beastie Boys at a huge 14/1 with Bet365 as they're turning up to perform. Maroon 5 are surely going to be fobbed off with some other award despite performing. Eminem could go up to collect for his miserable backing band D-12 as he is performing. OutKast who haven't been announced as attendees or performers could easily do an acceptance speech by video. And that's the potential danger. ADVICE: NO BET Past Winners - Best Group 2003 *WINNER* Coldplay (Chris was at a film premiere with Gwyneth, couldn't attend the show in person and did an acceptance speech by video) Evanescence Metallica Radiohead The White Stripes 2002 *WINNER* Linkin Park (surprise winners but they were in the audience) Coldplay Red Hot Chili Peppers No Doubt U2 BEST SONG 2004 OutKast, 'Hey Ya' - 6/5 (Skybet) Maroon 5, 'This Love' - 3/1 (Bet365/Blue Square) Usher, 'Yeah' - 3/1 (Bet365) Britney Spears, 'Toxic' - 13/2 (Bet365) Anastacia, 'Left Outside Alone' - 14/1 (Bet365) Crazy bookies have priced up the wrong song and only Blue Square know it's supposed to be 'Yeah' and not 'Confessions'. This category is decided by SMS vote only so tread carefully. You'd have to assume that OutKast are rightfully the favourites to win here being the most downloaded ringtone of last year (must have helped Beyonce to a win in Edinburgh on last year's show). Danger here is Usher though who's ringtone is equally as popular (a nutty argument but that's mine). Be more than a little stunned if either of the ladies won this category. ADVICE: NO BET Past Winners - Best Song 2003 *WINNER* Beyoncé feat. Jay-Z, 'Crazy In Love' (was in the audience) Christina Aguilera, 'Beautiful' Evanescence, 'Bring Me To Life' Justin Timberlake, 'Cry Me A River' Sean Paul, 'Get Busy' 2002 *WINNER* Pink - 'Get The Party Started' (performed on the night) Enrique Iglesias - 'Hero' Nelly - 'Hot In Herre' Nickelback - 'How You Remind Me' Shakira - 'Get The Party Started' BEST FEMALE 2004 Beyonce - 8/13 (Blue Square) Britney Spears - 7/2 (Bet365) Alicia Keys - 11/2 (Bet365) Avril Lavigne - 10/1 (Bet365) Anastacia - 12/1 (Bet365) Alicia Keys has recently been added as a performer to do a duet with Usher. Anastacia can probably count on the vote of the Scandinavians being a recent winner at the Nordic Music Awards. Could easily be an acceptance speech by video from Beyonce though. No way MTV can drag Britney Spears from her self-proclamed 'break' from working. Avril Lavigne would be a surprise winner having not seemingly been invited to the Rome party. ADVICE: NO BET Past Winners - Best Female 2003 *WINNER* Christina Aguilera (was the show's host) Beyoncé Kylie Minogue Madonna Pink 2002 *WINNER* Jennifer Lopez (was a presenter) Britney Spears Shakira Kylie Minogue Pink BEST MALE 2004 Usher - evens (Blue Square) Robbie Williams - 5/1 (Skybet) Nelly - 11/2 (Bet365) Jay-Z - 15/2 (Bet365) Justin Timberlake - 15/2 (Bet365) Usually geared around the main draw for the night, this should EASILY be Usher's award to win. Nelly's there to perform as well so that's a slight worry but he's likely to get Best Hip-Hop to placate his presence (that award might go to the Beastie Boys though). Robbie and the Trousersnake's there to make up the numbers. Form guide from the MTV Video Music Awards suggest this is going to Usher who beat Jay-Z, Justin Timberlake, Prince and Kanye West to get Best Male Video. It's merely a coincidence that both Justin Timberlake in 2003 and Eminem in 2002 won both the corresponding VMA and EMA but I'm expecting this trend to continue, with Usher making it three-in-a-row. ADVICE: 5pts at 'evens' on Usher to win 'Best Male' at Blue Square. Past Winners - Best Male 2003 * WINNER* Justin Timberlake (was the main draw on a lacklustre night) Craig David Eminem Robbie Williams Sean Paul 2002 *WINNER* Eminem (was the main star for the night) Enrique Iglesias Nelly Lenny Kravitz Robbie Williams BEST NEW ACT 2004 Franz Ferdinand - 9/4 (Skybet) Maroon 5 - 5/2 (Skybet) Keane - 3/1 (Blue Square) Jamelia - 9/2 (Blue Square) The Rasmus - 12/1 (Blue Square) With no Best UK & Ireland Act award this year but strangely there is a Best Nordic Act award though, The Rasmus will surely be duking it out with The Hives but there's no reason why they should win this category unless the fix is in. This could go to any one of the three UK acts that are nominated (Jamelia's a presenter and she's got a song out in a couple of weeks time on the Bridget Jones 2 soundtrack). However, Franz Ferdinand and US band Maroon 5 are both performing at the awards, so it should be between those two. ADVICE: 1.5pts at 9/4 on Franz Ferdinand and 1.5pts at 5/2 on Maroon 5 at Skybet. Past Winners - Best New Act 2003 *WINNER* Sean Paul (a surprise winner but he turned up to perform at the show so they gave him an award) 50 Cent Evanescence Good Charlotte Justin Timberlake 2002 *WINNER* The Calling Avril Lavigne Royskopp The Strokes Shakira BEST ALBUM 2004 OutKast - 6/4 (Blue SQ/Skybet) Usher - 7/4 (Blue Square) Beyonce - 6/1 (Blue SQ/Skybet) Black Eyed Peas - 7/1 (Blue SQ/Skybet) Dido - 8/1 (Skybet) It would be a surprise if OutKast turned up to collect but Usher's the main draw and the last two shows have all been geared around folks who've been willing to attend and perform. It's surely between those two. Beyonce's busy with Destiny's Child, the Black Eyed Peas are mere onlookers as presenters and this is Dido's sole nomination. ADVICE: 2pts at 7/4 on Usher at Blue Square Past Winners - Best Album 2003 *WINNER* Justin Timberlake, 'Justified' (main draw for the night got this category as well) 50 Cent,'Get Rich Or Die Tryin'' Christina Aguilera, 'Stripped' Robbie Williams, 'Escapology' The White Stripes, 'Elephant' 2002 *WINNER* Eminem - The Eminem Show Coldplay - A Rush of Blood to the Head Kylie Minogue - Fever No Doubt - Rock Steady Pink - Missundazstood David Yung

Re: MTV Europe Music Awards - Best Male I'm gonna look a right coont on Thursday night/Friday morning if I lose on all three of my bets (I'll be down £225!). ....Inside Edge still haven't sent me, me £25! :( Watch some MTV in the afternoons to see if they're giving away any clues and have a look at the MTV Europe Music Awards website to see if MTV are gonna nobble my predicted winners with some surprise late additions to performers/presenters/whatever. EDIT: Andre 3000 from OutKast WILL be turning up so Best Album looks slightly iffy now for Usher to win. Hopefully Andre just gets up on stage to just collect for Best Group and Best Song and not for Best Album. Usher won on Sunday night at the American Music Awards so that should hopefully be a good omen, and he'll be turning up in Rome on Wednesday in time for rehearsals for his performance with Alicia Keys on Thursday night. Usher wins Best Male, I'm a happy chappy. He loses and I'm down £100. :eyes Franz Ferdinand or Maroon 5 don't take Best New Act and I will be fupping furious....and down another £100.

Re: MTV Europe Music Awards - Best Male Wtf? There WAS a Best Nordic Act and now there isn't? There wasn't a Best UK & Ireland Act and now there IS? NO! I've been looking at the 'wrong' website (general MTV Europe website is geared towards Scandanavia, the website you click through the MTV UK one has our Best UK & Ireland Act award in there). :( Well it should pave the way to Maroon 5 to win in Best New Act then. Just for a laugh here are my 'complete' predictions (bookies stopped taking bets around Monday anyway AND they only were prepared to do six at the most): BEST GROUP: OutKast (Andre 3000's turning up but he was a late addition, could still go to any of the other four). BEST FEMALE: Anastacia (or Alicia Keys. I haven't read that Beyonce's done an acceptance speech by video or that she's been added as a late addition. As far as I know Miss Knowles won't be in Rome today). BEST MALE: Usher (unless they decide to go with Nelly in a fit of pique but Usher's been collecting awards left and right and it's going to be odd if someone like Robbie Williams wins). BEST NEW ACT: Maroon 5 (a slight worry that Keane recently got 3 nominations over at the MTV Asia awards but it should be the US group's to lose) BEST ALTERNATIVE: The Hives (Franz Ferdinand gets Best UK & Ireland, The Rasmus gets Best Nordic Act, The Hives walk away with at least one award to be rewarded for what looks to be a good set). BEST ROCK: Linkin Park (the front man Chester Bennington's there as a presenter). BEST POP: Anastacia (more likely to win this than Best Female). BEST HIP HOP: Nelly (this is his consolation prize for not picking up Best Male....hopefully). BEST ALBUM: 'Confessions' by Usher (last time out, Justin got the first award of the night for 'Justified'. Hopefully something similar happens here.). BEST R'N'B: Alicia Keys (I don't want Usher to win this, for some reason I see it cuts his chances of winning the two I want him to win). BEST SONG: 'Hey Ya' by OutKast (odds were into 2/5 from 11/10 last week. Somebody out there knows something). BEST UK & IRELAND ACT: Franz Ferdinand (they turn up to perform, it should go to them). BEST VIDEO: 'Hey Ya' by OutKast (prone not to follow the 'consensus' and go with the 'popular' pick....oh look The Cure's 'The End of the World' video is up for contention. Look for Robert Smith as he's in attendance.). ....the show starts at 8pm UK time (there's also a live webcast) and I'm fully prepared for MTV in determining that I'm going to get fooked in the ass and go away empty-handed.

Re: MTV Europe Music Awards - Best Male 3 for 3, baby. No wonder I was cautious with my 'NO BET's....Best Female was won by Britney Spears with an acceptance speech by video. Generally spot on with my analysis though. I'll be chasing Inside Edge for my £25. ....worst thing about this was that Usher was 11/8 to win Best Male when Skybet opened their market as soon as the nominations were announced and they cut it to 8/11 and worse. Bad thing that I didn't put the hammer down on Best Album as 'Confessions' by Usher won the opening award of the night.