Cricket: West Indies vs South Africa - ODI Series & Twenty20 Internationals

As ever with world cricket these days, one series/tournament ends and another begins. West Indies host South Africa for 2 twenty20 matches and 5 ODI's. It's begins on Wednesday and it's all on Sky. Having had 3 weeks of Caribbean action, hopefully we can all take advantage and nail yet more profit over the next few weeks :dude. Schedule:

Wed May 19 18:00 GMT | 14:00 local 19:00 BST 1st T20I - West Indies v South Africa Sir Vivian Richards Stadium, North Sound, Antigua 39.png 26 - 29° C ci_weather_rightarrow.gifimg_weather_close.gif Forecast Scattered Showers Click here for 10-day-Forecast
Thu May 20 18:00 GMT | 14:00 local 19:00 BST 2nd T20I - West Indies v South Africa Sir Vivian Richards Stadium, North Sound, Antigua 39.png 26 - 29° C ci_weather_rightarrow.gifimg_weather_close.gif Forecast Scattered Showers Click here for 10-day-Forecast
Sat May 22 13:30 GMT | 09:30 local 14:30 BST 1st ODI - West Indies v South Africa Sir Vivian Richards Stadium, North Sound, Antigua
N/A
Mon May 24 13:30 GMT | 09:30 local 14:30 BST 2nd ODI - West Indies v South Africa Sir Vivian Richards Stadium, North Sound, Antigua
N/A
Fri May 28 13:30 GMT | 09:30 local 14:30 BST 3rd ODI - West Indies v South Africa Windsor Park, Roseau, Dominica
N/A
Sun May 30 13:30 GMT | 09:30 local 14:30 BST 4th ODI - West Indies v South Africa Windsor Park, Roseau, Dominica
N/A
Thu Jun 3 14:30 GMT | 09:30 local 15:30 BST 5th ODI - West Indies v South Africa Sabina Park, Kingston, Jamaica
N/A

Re: Cricket: West Indies vs South Africa - ODI Series & Twenty20 Internationals The 1st of the two twenty20's is tomorrow night. 7pm start. I'm going to take 3 bets here. I was close to backing West Indies at 5/4 but with this being the 1st time this ground has been used since that farce of a test match with England last year I'll leave the match and see how the ground is now. 3pts D.Sammy's Performance Pts - 24&Over 5/6 Bet365 Points are scored as follows: 1pt per run, 10pts per catch & 20pts per wicket. I think Darren Sammy was one of few success stories in the world twenty20. He took wickets and scored runs for the Caribbean outfit and I see no reason why he can't continue that here. As with the 3 wickets used in that tournament, I expect this to be low and slow and that suits Sammy's bowling nicely, especially if there's a bit of variable bounce which there could be after the farcical scenes of the sandy test match here last year. He's equally capable of covering this with the bat too as he showed in a couple of matches in the world cup. He's never too far away from the catches either so he's got 3 genuine ways of scoring which leads me to taking the overs here. 1pt S.Benn Most Economical Bowler 4/1 Stan James Only these 6 count: Suliemann Benn, Johan Botha, Dale Steyn, Jerome Taylor, Morne Morkel and Dwayne Bravo. I like Suliemann Benn in this market. Johan Botha had the best economy rate in the world twenty20 but I think the West Indies batsmen are better players of spin than the South African's. I think the South African's are awful players of spin. We've seen before that Suliemann Benn can open the bowling and do it very effectively. He's hard to face because he bowls from a big height and he gets the ball to spin. I think this wicket will play well for him and given how poor the South African's are at playing spin I think Benn is a good bet here. Botha rates as the main danger but hopefully Gayle or Pollard can get stuck into him and at 4/1 Benn will land the spoils here. 1pt D.Miller Top South Africa Batsman 12/1 Betfred Not many people will have heard of David Miller and to be honest I don't know a great deal more about him either. However he clubbed 115 off 60 balls against Bangladesh A recently and looking at his stats he looks a promising player. He averages 40 in 7 twenty20 matches, and 35 through 27 one day matches, both at a strike rate of over 100. Even his 1st class average is solid at 30.33 through 22 matches. We saw in the world twenty20 that this is a batting lineup that is struggling so Miller could well come in and have a go without much to beat. He's clearly a hard hitting batsman who should play spin well if he's smashing ton's of a Bangladesh attack so everything's set up for him to go well at a 12/1 which could turn out to be a big price when the dust settles on this one.

Re: Cricket: West Indies vs South Africa - ODI Series & Twenty20 Internationals

1pt D.Miller Top South Africa Batsman 12/1 Betfred Not many people will have heard of David Miller and to be honest I don't know a great deal more about him either. However he clubbed 115 off 60 balls against Bangladesh A recently and looking at his stats he looks a promising player. He averages 40 in 7 twenty20 matches, and 35 through 27 one day matches, both at a strike rate of over 100. Even his 1st class average is solid at 30.33 through 22 matches. We saw in the world twenty20 that this is a batting lineup that is struggling so Miller could well come in and have a go without much to beat. He's clearly a hard hitting batsman who should play spin well if he's smashing ton's of a Bangladesh attack so everything's set up for him to go well at a 12/1 which could turn out to be a big price when the dust settles on this one.
Jeez... best available now StanJames and Willhill @ 10/1... Betfred into 8/1 already?!?!?

Jeez... best available now StanJames and Willhill @ 10/1... Betfred into 8/1 already?!?!?
Seems as though Betfred are pretty quick to react to my bets. Been a few times they've done that now. Stan James now into 5's on Miller but unfortunately he doesn't play so that's void. Windies have won the toss and put SA in.

Sport Cricket
Event South Africa v West Indies
Selection West Indies
Strength 10/10
Date 20/05/2010
Bookmaker/Price Betfair @ 2.52 (Back)
Reasoning South Africa won last night but I didn't think much of them to be honest. Batting was tricky and they got just about enough but didn't look very composed in general. After being very poor in the world cup dont' think of them as a strong side at the moment and can be beaten. Hopefully Shiv comes in for WI, they need a performance from Gayle or Pollard, and I think they'll level this little series tonight.

Re: Cricket: West Indies vs South Africa - ODI Series & Twenty20 Internationals Awful game last night on an awful wicket. Not going too mad tonight but I'll take one which I think is a smidgeon of value. 3pts West Indies Highest Opening Partnership 11/10 Stan James I'll try my luck here because I think the price is a tad big. South Africa only won the opening partnership by 1 run last night and I'm hoping West Indies ditch Fletcher tonight because without putting too fine a point on it, I think Fletcher is dogshit :lol. If we compare the opening partnerships of both teams in the world twenty20 they are very similar. West Indies 5 were 19 vs Ireland, 41 vs England, 22 vs Sri Lanka, 80 vs India and 5 vs Australia. South Africa made 21 vs India, 13 vs Afghanistan, 40 vs New Zealand, 19 vs England and 12 vs Pakistan. So out of the 10 opening partnerships, Windies had 3 of the highest 4 and more importantly had the better opening partnership against the two teams that both WI and SA faced. This is a bit of a lottery market in terms of anything can happen with a new ball but you have to say on the evidence of the past couple of weeks, the West Indian openers have been getting good starts and so at 11/10 in a market which isn't too far from 50/50 I'll take the home side to win the 1st wicket battle.

Re: Cricket: West Indies vs South Africa - ODI Series & Twenty20 Internationals Typical!! Miller top scores!!! Anyone know what his odds were? After shortening dramatically yesterday if would be interesting to know what he was going at today?

Typical!! Miller top scores!!! Anyone know what his odds were? After shortening dramatically yesterday if would be interesting to know what he was going at today?
12s again.

Re: Cricket: West Indies vs South Africa - ODI Series & Twenty20 Internationals Right the one day series begins tomorrow. Tomorrow's game is behind the red button. 2 outrights for me in a series I may not do a huge amount of betting in with so much cricket being played in England in the coming days. 2pts South Africa to win 5-0 5/1 Ladbrokes Normally I wouldn't touch a 5-0 whitewash at 5/1 but I think this could turn into a very one sided series very quickly. Under Ottis Gibson I thought the Windies would kick on but they've been awful and they don't look interested really. They rely so much on their captain it's untrue and against this SA bowling attack that's risky. Chanderpaul is a good player too but take them two out then other than the odd cameo from Bravo and Pollard, WIndies struggle with the bat. South Africa's batting isn't the best but their bowling attack did the business twice in the twenty20's which will give them confidence. Windies look little more than a shambles on the park at the minute which is a shame because I thought they were just starting to improve nicely under John Dyson before his paper reading incident cost him his job. That loss is very much the Windies loss and SA can prevail here. They are a pretty ruthless bunch so I've no worries about them letting up once the series is won so I'll take Smith's men to win this without losing a match. 2pts H.Amla Top South African Series Batsman 4/1 Bet365 This looks a decent price on someone who has completely made me eat my words in one day cricket in the last 6 months or so. I never had the bearded one down as a one day player at all but he's shown there's still room for the batsman who bats through while the others expand around him and it's a role he plays very well indeed. He arrives in the Caribbean in good form after a decent hit out for Notts over the last 6 weeks. Jacques Kallis is struggling with a niggle and may not play all 5 matches so that's a boost for Amla and looking at South Africa's batting, there may not be a lot else to beat. Consistency will need to be the aim of the game but similar to Jayawardene for us in the twenty20, a good start would go a long way to seeing this bet landed. The wickets should suit him, he plays spin well too and at 4/1 I'll take Amla to top the SA run charts in this ODI series.

Re: Cricket: West Indies vs South Africa - ODI Series & Twenty20 Internationals 3 for the opening match for me. 4pts J.Botha's Performance Pts - 27&Over 5/6 Bet365 Points are scored as follows: 1pt per run, 10pts per catch & 20pts per wicket. This line looks ridiculously low to me. In all but the Pakistan game from the super 8's onwards, including the two twenty20 matches before this series, Botha has covered this total. Now if he's covering it in 20 overs matches he could kill it in a 50 over match. He'll be involved in the match for long periods. He'll bowl his 10 overs, is a solid lower order batsman who is more than capable of scoring this amount with the bat if he gets the required time. I think he might get a bat too given the frailties this SA lineup has. He took 3/22 here on Thursday night and West Indies batsmen, Chanderpaul and Sarwan aside, are awful players of spin so I expect Botha's bowling to go well on this low wicket. He's also often at slip and close to the bat in the field as well so he's got 3 genuine methods of scoring so I'm on the overs here. 3pts 7 or more 6's 6/4 Sportingbet I've been priced in here I think. I was going to take the 5.5 line at 5/6 but I'll take a slightly bigger risk on getting an extra 6 at a much bigger price. Traditionally this wicket doesn't yield many 6's but I think we'll see a good wicket here given all the bad press this place has had in the past. There's still some big hitters on show in this match too. Gayle, Bravo, Pollard and Morkel and even Chanderpaul, de Villiers and Duminy can use improvisations to clear the ropes. In all the matches I've seen in the Caribbean recently there's been a gusty wind so it could be that we get a couple of cheap 6's that are hit with any wind. Boundaries haven't looked that big to me in the twenty20's so I'll take a chance on the overs here. 0.5pts ew D.Sammy Top West Indies Batsman 20/1 Coral (1/5 1,2,3) Darren Sammy is a capable batsman lower down the order for the West Indies as he's shown. I think it's fair to say this West Indian line up as a whole is poor and very hit and miss and a lot depends on the captain Chris Gayle. If SA get him early you can see Windies being 60/6 with Chanderpaul and A.N.Other leading a rescue mission. Sammy can be that person. He can knock it around but he can also tonk it when the need arises too and given there's a couple of "free wickets" in this side in the likes of Fletcher and Deonarine, at 20/1 I'm happy to take a punt on Sammy to top score in this opening ODI.

Sport Cricket
Event 1st ODI South Africa v West Indies
Selection Lay West Indies (Lay)
Strength 10/10
Date 22/05/2010
Bookmaker/Price Betfair @ 2.84 (Lay)
Reasoning Tried West Indies in the T20, but let's be honest they were *****. Totally messed up a pretty comfortable run chase and can#t see the batting producing over 50 overs. They just don't know how to put an innings together which in modern internation cricket is pathetic. South Africa were struggling a bit, but now after a couple of wins should have some confidence back. They are better over the 50 over game, and should be comfortable in this series.

3 for the opening match for me. 4pts J.Botha's Performance Pts - 27&Over 5/6 Bet365 Points are scored as follows: 1pt per run, 10pts per catch & 20pts per wicket. This line looks ridiculously low to me. In all but the Pakistan game from the super 8's onwards, including the two twenty20 matches before this series, Botha has covered this total. Now if he's covering it in 20 overs matches he could kill it in a 50 over match. He'll be involved in the match for long periods. He'll bowl his 10 overs, is a solid lower order batsman who is more than capable of scoring this amount with the bat if he gets the required time. I think he might get a bat too given the frailties this SA lineup has. He took 3/22 here on Thursday night and West Indies batsmen, Chanderpaul and Sarwan aside, are awful players of spin so I expect Botha's bowling to go well on this low wicket. He's also often at slip and close to the bat in the field as well so he's got 3 genuine methods of scoring so I'm on the overs here. 3pts 7 or more 6's 6/4 Sportingbet I've been priced in here I think. I was going to take the 5.5 line at 5/6 but I'll take a slightly bigger risk on getting an extra 6 at a much bigger price. Traditionally this wicket doesn't yield many 6's but I think we'll see a good wicket here given all the bad press this place has had in the past. There's still some big hitters on show in this match too. Gayle, Bravo, Pollard and Morkel and even Chanderpaul, de Villiers and Duminy can use improvisations to clear the ropes. In all the matches I've seen in the Caribbean recently there's been a gusty wind so it could be that we get a couple of cheap 6's that are hit with any wind. Boundaries haven't looked that big to me in the twenty20's so I'll take a chance on the overs here. 0.5pts ew D.Sammy Top West Indies Batsman 20/1 Coral (1/5 1,2,3) Darren Sammy is a capable batsman lower down the order for the West Indies as he's shown. I think it's fair to say this West Indian line up as a whole is poor and very hit and miss and a lot depends on the captain Chris Gayle. If SA get him early you can see Windies being 60/6 with Chanderpaul and A.N.Other leading a rescue mission. Sammy can be that person. He can knock it around but he can also tonk it when the need arises too and given there's a couple of "free wickets" in this side in the likes of Fletcher and Deonarine, at 20/1 I'm happy to take a punt on Sammy to top score in this opening ODI.
Are any of these bets, specifically the sixes, as we already have 5 of the required 7....voided by the few overs lost to the weather?? Cheers in advance!

Re: Cricket: West Indies vs South Africa - ODI Series & Twenty20 Internationals Just checked the live commentary on live.cricketworld.com of windies v south africa and see that botha has 1 wtk and 1 catch. Can anyone confirm this as i had a good few quid on it.

Are any of these bets' date=' specifically the sixes, as we already have 5 of the required 7....voided by the few overs lost to the weather?? Cheers in advance![/quote'] The performance bet will be fine but the 6's has been voided which is particularly annoying as Pollard smacked the 7th one not so long ago :sad.

Just checked the live commentary on live.cricketworld.com of windies v south africa and see that botha has 1 wtk and 1 catch. Can anyone confirm this as i had a good few quid on it.
Correct, 3 runs, 1wkt and a catch more than cover his performance total:ok

The performance bet will be fine but the 6's has been voided which is particularly annoying as Pollard smacked the 7th one not so long ago :sad.
Typical, not often we get 6/4 on a sixes bet!!! :wall

Typical' date=' not often we get 6/4 on a sixes bet!!! :wall[/quote'] Would've been extra nice as it would've pretty much wiped out the twenty20 losses too. Thinking further ahead I could probably have done without that 2nd Botha wicket as his line will go up bigtime I would imagine :(. Still, he brought in his performance today so +2.33 for the day and back to -4.67 for the series. Another plus is it's one down with four to play for SA and Hashim Amla is almost in a match bet against de Villiers for the series top bat now with their tons and the next best being just 23.

Sport Cricket
Event 2nd ODI: West Indies v South Africa
Selection Lay West Indies (Lay)
Strength 10/10
Date 24/05/2010
Bookmaker/Price Betfair @ 2.86 (Lay)
Reasoning In the 1st game, both Gayle and Pollard, hell, even Sarwan got in, and they never looked like getting near the South African total. They just can't put an innings together and I'd be very surprised if that changed here. South Africa have now won 3 games and are looking better. Smith and Kallis failed in the last game but Amla and de Villiers hit excellent centuries and the top order now looks strong. The bowling was good and fielding sharp, all round they look a class above the West Indies.

Re: Cricket: West Indies vs South Africa - ODI Series & Twenty20 Internationals 2nd ODI is tomorrow afternoon. There's likely to be rain around so I won't bother with too much. I'll let the outrights play their way out. However there is a performance bet which line looks a bit low. 3pts R.McLaren's Performance Pts - 33&Over 5/6 Bet365 Points are scored as follows: 1pt per run, 10pts per catch & 20pts per wicket. Ryan McLaren is a very solid all round cricketer even at this level. Kent fans will know all about this guy and will know this total is well within his reach. He put up 53pts here on Saturday and that came not long after he took 5/19 in the opening twenty20 match last week. McLaren's a decent bowler who attacks with lines and lengths and bowling 1st or 2nd change he's likely to be bowling at the weak Windies middle order so could easily bag a couple of wickets. He's a more than capable batsman should he be required with the willow and he can take catches as well. He's a solid 3D cricketer and this line looks a bit low so I'm on the overs here.

Re: Cricket: West Indies vs South Africa - ODI Series & Twenty20 Internationals This series continues to frustrate me now. No joy today but for the 2nd time in the series a top bat has gone in the game after I backed it :wall:wall. The series moves away from Antigua now but I'm -7.67 for the Antigua leg. However it's 2 down 3 to go for SA and Amla is now 51 runs ahead of de Villiers and over 100 of anyone else so that looks a 2 horse race. Hopefully they'll come in and reverse the losses made so far :hope.

Re: Cricket: West Indies vs South Africa - ODI Series & Twenty20 Internationals A little way off yet, a week wednesday I think, but I wonder whether the 5th ODI in Jamaica may be in doubt? Thanks to this 'dudus' fella and his little army the Prime Minister has declared a state of emergency!! I can see the series being 4-0... and Amla 150 runs clear... and bookies finding a way to void these bets :puke

A little way off yet' date=' a week wednesday I think, but I wonder whether the 5th ODI in Jamaica may be in doubt? Thanks to this 'dudus' fella and his little army the Prime Minister has declared a state of emergency!! I can see the series being 4-0... and Amla 150 runs clear... and bookies finding a way to void these bets :puke[/quote'] Panic not mate. We're off to Trinidad for game 5 instead :dude.

Re: Cricket: West Indies vs South Africa - ODI Series & Twenty20 Internationals 3rd ODI is tomorrow. Finally we've got a change of scenery for this match. This one is in Dominica. I'm going with 2 bets. 3pts K.Pollard's Performance Pts - 40&Over 5/6 Bet365 Points are scored as follows: 1pt per run, 10pts per catch & 20pts per wicket. I held off taking Kieron Pollard's performances for a bit until he found some solid form and I think he's done that now. He covered this total comfortably in the 2nd ODI taking 2 wickets and scoring a fairly quick 29 and he also covered it in the opening ODI when he splattered a brisk 44 with the bat. Pollard's my sort of player when it comes to taking performance bets. He bats, bowls and is an extremely good fielder and when it comes together he can wrack up some serious points. There's no Sarwan in this match so Pollard may go up the order a bit which would do us no harm. There's also no Nikita Miller and although Suliemann Benn will play, Pollard may get a few more overs. Chuck in his catching potential and I think this is a line the big man can easily cover so it's the overs for me here. 3pts D.Bravo to beat D.Richards 5/6 William Hill Dwayne Bravo is going pretty well with the bat at the minute. He top scored with a lovely, fluent 74 off just 70 balls and looked like the classy all rounder we know he is. That's massive for the West Indies because he's a quality performer at his best but he's taken a long time to get back to his best after injury. Dale Richards is a totally different kettle of fish. Credit to him for scoring a solid if a little slow half century in the last game but his record on this ground in the two ODI's here against Bangladesh last year read scores of 1 and 20. Neither are likely to worry Bravo too much it has to be said. Bravo batted at 5 in the last game but with Sarwan out and Deonarine doing nothing he may be put up to number 3, especially now he's found his form. Bravo generally scores in chunks and I'm happy to be on him when he's in form so it's Dwayne Bravo to beat Richards here for me.

Sport Cricket
Event 4th ODI: South Africa v West Indies
Selection West Indies
Strength 10/10
Date 30/05/2010
Bookmaker/Price Betdaq @ 3.00 (Back)
Reasoning Taking a risk here, now Windies out to 3.00 for one of these games they might be a bit of value. They still can't put an innings, but have shown glimpses. In game 2 they were close after an excellent late knock by Sammy, and in game 3 they did really well with the ball. The batting effort in game 3 was shocking, but they might be able to put it together here. Smith has suggested he will rest players now the series is wrapped up, and it could be a good spot for West Indies to nick a win.

Re: Cricket: West Indies vs South Africa - ODI Series & Twenty20 Internationals Unfortunately Bravo got a beaut of a ball in the last game so -8.17 for the series coming into today's 4th match. As people will know, I don't like betting on dead rubbers but I'm surprised Pollard's performance hasn't gone up so I'll take that again today. 3pts K.Pollard's Performance Pts - 40&Over 5/6 Bet365 Points are scored as follows: 1pt per run, 10pts per catch & 20pts per wicket. Kieron Pollard has covered this total in all 3 ODI's thus far and it must be said, in the last 2 games he's covered it comfortably. So it's a bit surprising that this line is still at 40pts but I'm happy to take it. He scored 44pts in the 1st ODI, 69pts in the 2nd and then here in Dominica in the 3rd ODI he scored 70pts. He's bowling well and interestingly is bowling a lot of overs towards the end of the innings where the cheap wickets are bought and we all know about his batting. He's a top top fielder too so even though Windies are playing for pride I still think Pollard has no reason why he can't cover 40pts in this 4th ODI.

No offence' date=' but having backed 5-0... I hope they don't! A ton from Amla and a duck from de Villiers along the way!![/quote'] And preferably with a wicket for Pollard thrown in along the way ;).