Newmarket - Sat 1st May

1.55 Newmarket A large field line up for a competitive renewal of the Sussex stakes but ITHINKBEST looks the one to be on. Sir Michael Stoute's gelding has improved since going handicapping and is perhaps a couple of pounds well in on his official rating judging by the manner of his latest win. He fits the ideal profile of the previous winners of this race - a lightly raced improving handicapper - and the yard infact saddled up the winner twelve months ago with Confront so know what is required to win the race. 6/1 VC Bet, EW 3.40 Newmarket The Palace House Stakes looks a scintillating race and my favourite horse in training, Borderlescott, is one of the twelve participants. However, I have cast sentiment aside here because at the prices I think TOTAL GALLERY is the bet of the race. Stan Moore's four-year-old made up into a really smart sprinter last term and in winning the Prix de L'Abbaye at Longchamp in October has proven he can mix it on the highest level. This Group three contest has to be considered an easier assignment and although Armour Propre is a smart prospect and ranks as a big danger I feel Total Gallery represents the value in the race at double the price. 6/1 Stan James, EW 4.15 Newmarket Swilly Ferry will be a warm order here, and rightly so, having not enjoyed a clear passage last time out. However, JACK MY BOY looks a nice each-way alternative at 20/1 having shown recent progression under David Evans. This race is a step up in grade and the colt has to defy a further rise in the weights. However, six furlongs on fast ground is his ideal conditions and at the prices I'm hoping he can run into a place. 20/1 Stan James, EW

Re: Newmarket - Sat 1st May Off to Newmarket thanks to TheBeekeeper and hopefully meeting up with Lars!! Anyhow my racecard reads as follow; 1.55 Newmarket Distant Memories is lightly raced and progressive but concern has to be his best form has come in ground with some cut. I am a big fan of Kaolak he is a useful front runner and was in cracking form last year perhaps not in that same sort of form BUT hasnt had ideal conditions racing on the AW and soft turf, return to quicker ground and if he looks good in the paddock I would be interested in him. Little to split the 2 Tartans in this race both shaped much better last time out than the bare results and shaped as if they were perhaps hitting some form, yard going much better recently again after a small lul, both not handicapped out of it and conditions to suit and could be my main players in the field. 2.25 Newmarket Small 5 runner field but probably a little uncompetitive, Godolphin off shoot have started the season well but still has a fair amount to find on Jukebox Jury who is a smart reliable sort who won a group 3 and 2 last year and 2nd on penultimate start in Canadian international, although well beaten on reappearance in dubai he should come on for the run (needed a run last year) and the blinkers should just bring him back into this and be hard to beat. 3.05 Newmarket The money has started to come for St Nick, but massive concern over O'Briens current form and will hold judgement until I see him in flesh tomorrow. But for me it is Xtension I think he is a smart 3yr old and has a very smart turn of foot and the step up in trip should help massively and any further softening of ground would also help. Awzaan is a useful sort and could be a saver if staying this trip and same for Al Zir who can be expected to progress again this season and is proven at this trip with a 3rd behind St Nick on last start. Probably a race I wont play much with other than my bet already on Xtension. 3.40 Newmarket So glad to be seeing Borderlescott in flesh he is a credit to connections and comes back for another season at the highest level, was a bit of a no show over seas but always an honest runner in this country and has recently had a racecourse gallop with glowing reports. Has gone well fresh before (3rd in this last year) and comes out best on OR but his mark may flatter him a little at this stage in his career but even so in a race I have little opinion in my heart will have the bet and probably a couple more from the paddock with my money on possibly the favourite if he looks well enough lightly raced but didnt progress as expected after winning this fresh last year. 4.15 Newmarket Absolutely no idea where to start typical newmarket 3yr old handicap, but i did watch Whozthecat's win last time out which was very impressive this is tougher but no reason to suggest a bold run isnt likely again especially if the money comes for him again stable renowned for a gamble. 4.50 Newmarket Quite like the look of the off shoot of Godolphin's runner Namecheck progressed well in 3 starts last year stepping up in trip each time and 3rd last time out in listed event when only beaten a head looks creditable for a stable currently doing well with limited runners and may spring a small surprise now stepping up further in trip. 5.25 Newmarket Absolutely no idea lol!! Paddock watch probably!

This thread has more posts. To see them, you'll need to sign up or sign in.