NBA Day II

Well yesterday was not a bad sart but it could have been better. 1-1 here in my posts as I won with the Lakers and lost with the late addition of the Kings. The Kings cut it to 6 with a minute to go to tease me, but could not hold on. I think it's important to notice lessons for the long term or the short term, and to keep track of certain things because they have a slight possibility of being important later. So after Day one it would be important to at least acknowledge that home teams and favorites went 3-0 to start the season. My play here today is going to be on a total: Over 193 Orlando / Milwaukee If the Magic have a strength it is on offense and the Bucks who have slumped in the first quarter of preseason games vow to come out scoring tonight. I don't expect to see Grant Hill in the lineup but Howard and Francis should keep the flow going and scoring ablaze in this game. Maybe some more later, best of luck to all, CB

Re: NBA Day II This goes back to yesterday's discussion but I thought I would post it anyway: In the NEW YORK DAILY NEWS, Ohm Youngmisuk writes that "on the eve of the season opener against the Miami Heat," Alonzo Mourning "warned" that "Jason Kidd's unhappiness" and his own "discontent over the Nets' offseason upheaval threaten to shadow the team for months until either player, or both, find a new home." Making matters even more difficult, "Kidd continues to rehab his surgically repaired left knee, which will likely keep him out for several more weeks." CB

Re: NBA Day II For me Clippers should win tonight, odds are around 1.60. Seattle will be disaster this year as 6 of their players are chasing stats as they are free agents next year. Similar situation with Clippers from couple of years ago. Also, Spurs should trash Kings since chemistry in Kings team is gone and they will hardly find their unselfish game again. Handicap should be beaten (7.5) Minesotta is better then NY, but odds are low.

Re: NBA Day II Rest of he Picks for tonight NBA Tonight

Atlanta / Phoenix Over 191.5

Phoenix to go "small" with Richardson, Steve Nash, Joe Johnson, Shawn Marion and Amaré Stoudemire as starters tonight. They will also move men in an out of the lineup keeping fresh legs in to keep the points flowing. Voskuhl will be the first post player off the bench. D'Antoni expects to use eight men in the first quarters of games. The Hawks will contribute some scoring as well, but watch this team in the next couple of weeks as they have a tough stretch of schedule coming up. After opening tonight at 9 against the Phoenix Suns, the Hawks play at Seattle on Friday night, then double back down the West Coast to meet the Los Angeles Lakers on Sunday night. The Hawks then will have one day to prepare for their home opener Nov. 9 against Cleveland. Philly +3 I don’t like to back road teams this early in the season as it could be costly like last night, but I like the sixers here. O’brien returns to the face Ainge a team he once coached so I believe he will be ready to play them tough. He also has motivated his team to play great defense in the preseason as well as putting up with a high tempo offense. Iverson will be at point guard and this is a spot I think he is most comfortable in and wit will show in the upset win tonight.

Kings +8.5

The spurs open the season tonight and in come the Kings fresh off a beating last night against the Mavericks. The bad news is the Kings defense did not look very good, but the good nes is hey don’t have to travel very far for his game. Miller and Barnes looked very good for the kings last night despite the loss and coach Adelmen was up to his mind games early in the season benching Bibby in favor of Jackson for most the game. That will not only inspire Bibby for tonight but I also think the play in the second half inspired the team for tonight’s contest. "I hate saying there was anything encouraging about a loss," Webber said, "but truthfully, I liked the way we played. Not in the beginning, but the way we played together in the second half." The Spurs are just 8-12 ATS in the last 20 against the Kings and will have a tough time covering this number tonight.

Raptors +2 The Raptors are a team that should have chemistry immediately as they return the most players from last year. I also was not impressed with Yao Ming last night and it looked like the Rockets were the Magic of last year with only T-Mac providing any offense. I don’t think it was the pistons defense that held Ming in check, but his ailing elbow giving him fits. Carter lost his court case, but he should have wrapped up in time to play tonight and will be happy to focus on basketball for a change. Carter demanded to be traded in the off season, bu since then has come around in a big way for this club. New head coach Sam Mitchell has provided the energy and the focus to keep Carter interested. He has also surrounded Carter with nice free agent pickups and drat prospects. Arauajo is raw but his big body alone will be useful to bang around Ming when he is helping Woods out. Alston at point was a big pickup for this team and will play a big role out the gate and in Carter, Bosh, and Rose already to score, I think the Raptors will surprise some clubs starting tonight.

Jazz -3.5

After the Lakers came out and silenced critics last night, the buzz would be that the Lakers are going to be a team to be reckoned with again this year. Not so fast my friend (in my best Lee Corso voice) The Jazz are one of the most improved teams in he off-season and overall will handle the Lakers tonight. The Lakers always seem to start slow on the road just 8-19 ATS in he first half of the season, and this game may be a little to close to Colorado for Kobe’s liking. I like the starting lineup that the Jazz put on the floor and hey also have depth on the bench and all of the players seem to be content in the roles they have. Andrei Kirilenko and Carlos Boozer will be the forwards, with Gordan Giricek at guard. The opening night center is Jarron Collins, a decision necessitated by Mehmet Okur's vision problems, not to mention his still-needs-work physical condition. The lineup allows Sloan to stockpile Matt Harpring and Raja Bell on the bench, a role they are well-suited for, the coach said. Expect tonight's game to be very loud and very quiet. The Jazz plan a huge indoor fireworks display during introductions, but they will also ask for a moment of silence to honor Sloan's wife Bobbye, who died of pancreatic cancer in June. . . . Harpring said the atmosphere around the Jazz is distinct from last season. "It's a new feeling, not the same as last year at all," he said, the result of rising expectations. "I liked being the underdog [last season]. But it's also nice to be recognized as a team that can win games. It's something we have to get used to."

I cannot see Mihm putting up the same night he had last night and that will make this team a one dimensional outside shooting team. They won last night, bu they were still outrebounded and the Jazz even bigger up front will take the boards and the game in easy fashion onight.

CB

Re: NBA Day II Just a couple of small bets today. Nothing too serious, CB. I won't really get involved in a big way for a couple of weeks. Will wait for the teams and lines to settle down a bit. Will certainly keep an eye out tho ;)