Cricket: India vs South Africa - ODI Series

Having shared the test series, India and South Africa now play in a 3 match ODI series this week. The opening match is tomorrow and it's all live on Sky. Schedule:

Sun Feb 21 09:00 GMT | 14:30 local 09:00 GMT 1st ODI - India v South Africa Sawai Mansingh Stadium, Jaipur 34.png 14 - 30° C ci_weather_rightarrow.gifimg_weather_close.gif Forecast Mostly Sunny Click here for 10-day-Forecast
Wed Feb 24 09:00 GMT | 14:30 local 09:00 GMT 2nd ODI - India v South Africa Captain Roop Singh Stadium, Gwalior 32.png 13 - 28° C ci_weather_rightarrow.gifimg_weather_close.gif Forecast Sunny Click here for 10-day-Forecast
Sat Feb 27 09:00 GMT | 14:30 local 09:00 GMT 3rd ODI - India v South Africa Sardar Patel Stadium, Motera, Ahmedabad
N/A

Re: Cricket: India vs South Africa - ODI Series Just the one for me in this opening ODI. No outright bets for this series. 5pts India vs South Africa 1st ODI - Under 7.5 6's 5/6 Blue Square In 16 previous ODI's in Jaipur, only two of the matches have had more than 7 6's, one of them had 8 and the other was the match MS Dhoni hit his magical 183 in which contained 10 6's from his bat alone. Generally though, this isn't a big ground for 6's and with both bowling attacks being the way they are I didn't envisage this being a bit 6 hitting series. South Africa, as a general rule don't hit too many 6's while India are missing Yuvraj who is one of their bigger 6 hitters. The curator says this is only a 270 track which is a low score by Indian wicket standards so I'd imagine the wicket may get a bit tacky. The match is a day/night match where dew may well come into play and make 6 hitting even more difficult as we go along so I'll have a solid bet on the unders in this opening match of the series.

Re: Cricket: India vs South Africa - ODI Series

Sport Cricket
Event 1st ODI: India v South Africa
Selection India
Strength 10/10
Date 21/02/2010
Bookmaker/Price Sportingbet @ 1.83 (Back)
Reasoning India at home always very strong in ODIs. Coming off test success seemingly with a lot of batsmen in form I fancy them in this first match. Obviously both good sides and should see a few flipflops but I expect India to start well in this series.

Re: Cricket: India vs South Africa - ODI Series 2 points - S.Africa 1st ODI @ 2.18 BF India are missing some key players in Gambhir, Yuvraj and Zaheer. Their bowling attack looks weaker than S.Africas penetrating attack and a number of Indias batsmen will dislike the shorter deliverys from Morkel. Smith missing for S.Africa is obviously a big negative, however I personally see this game as a coin toss, so am happy to take S.Africa as underdogs at around 6/5.

Re: Cricket: India vs South Africa - ODI Series Two for me: 3pts - India to have highest first 15 overs score - 5/6 (totesport) India will open with Tendulkar and Sehwag who are amongst the more rapid scorers in world cricket. If Sehwag stays in for the full 15 that alone should be enough to settle this bet. Even if he is dismissed early, Kohli is no snail when it comes to scoring runs so India's runrate shouldn't be an issue. On the other hand South Africa are more conservative by nature especially given the absence of their talismanic opener and captain. Gibbs is obviously a danger but he hasn't been that great of late. Weighing all this up I'm happy to back India to outscore SA in the first 15. 2pts - India to hit most sixes - 11/10 (paddypower) India are missing Yuvraj who is obviously a big blow but they do welcome back Yusuf Pathan who has been in devastating form on the domestic scene. If a spinner is bowled at him I fully expect them to go the distance. Added in the mix the likes of Sehwag, Dhoni and Raina sixes should come. South Africa's main sixes men would be Gibbs and Duminu in my eyes and the latter has been in terrible form so I'm happy to side with India at better than evens.

Re: Cricket: India vs South Africa - ODI Series Actually I've inexplicably forgotten Albie Morkel when talking about SA's main sixes men but nevertheless still happy to go with India as Albie hasn't played for quite some time so may well be a little rusty coming into this.

Re: Cricket: India vs South Africa - ODI Series Well what a game that was. With 40 overs gone I thought I had the most sixes bet sewn up with SA hitting only 2 sixes but Steyn and Parnell decided they wanted to interfere. The first bet came through however leaving me +0.5pts for the game.

Re: Cricket: India vs South Africa - ODI Series Good work in that 1st game, Westy. No joy for me but I'm going with one in the 2nd game. 3pts M.Dhoni's Performance Pts - 55&Over Evs Bet365 Points are scored as follows: 1pt per run, 10pts per catch & 25pts per stumping. I'm not usually a fan of taking totals over 50pts in ODI's but I rate Dhoni that highly that I'm happy to take this line. I think there's every chance of a stumping or two in this match as the wicket looks set to benefit the spinners more than the seamers. That in itself will benefit Dhoni with the bat because if the seamers turn out to be cannon fodder there isn't really a top line spinner in this South African squad so he should have a fairly comfortable knock with the bat. Despite only making 26 in the 1st game, Dhoni's in good touch with the bat after his ton in the 2nd test. If Sehwag is ruled out, India will need their captain to step up even more with the bat but with the chance of a big gain behind the stumps I'll take Dhoni to cover 55pts.

Re: Cricket: India vs South Africa - ODI Series Beat me to it, I was hoping for 50 and over for Dhoni but even so he's more than capable of of clearing that 55 line. Another player performance has taken my eye however. 3pts - Albie Morkel 34 points & over - 5/6 Now I'm not Albie's biggest fan and he doesn't look in the greatest of touch with bat or ball but this line looks particularly low for an out and out all rounder. All it would take is a few lusty blows with the bat and a cheap wicket with the ball for this bet to come in so I'm happy to go with it.

Re: Cricket: India vs South Africa - ODI Series Ta guys. Got a hunch that this isn't enough though :eek. Am at work so may not have the best price but I'll take this one. 2pts South Africa to win 2nd ODI 6/1 Blue Square It's not very often you can advocate backing a side to chase down 402 to win but this lot have got previous in this department and I think they've got the batting lineup to do it. More importantly they've got the bowling attack to do it against. Sreesanth is around as expensive as they come at the minute and Nehra isn't watertight either. Praveen could be a problem but then India are using part time spinners who could go for a few. South Africa have got Amla in now after he was stupidly left out 1st time round and with Steyn in at 10, this lot can bat. The pitch is one of those which is as good as it gets and if they pace it right I don't think this is beyond SA at all.

Re: Cricket: India vs South Africa - ODI Series The Albie Morkel bet of mine was void from the last game so will stick the 3pts on the following: 3pts - India to win 3rd ODI - 13/10 (totesport) As Frank says the odds have rocketed for India after the news that Sehwag and the batting maestro are being rested for this one but that won't deter me from backing India at a enticing price. India are missing a whole host of first team players but the replacements are no mugs at all, Dinesh Karthik has been in fine form and will most likely open with Murali Vijay. Then there is the likes of Kohli, Raina and Dhoni who have themselves been in good nick so I expect a good showing from them with the bat. You wouldn't be surprised if the South Africans have one eye on the plane home after taking two hurtful defeats so I'm more than happy to oppose them at this price.

Re: Cricket: India vs South Africa - ODI Series

Sport Cricket
Event 3rd ODI: Indi v South Africa
Selection India
Strength 10/10
Date 27/02/2010
Bookmaker/Price Betfair @ 2.40 (Back)
Reasoning Forgot to back India in the last match, so I'll try to make up for it here. Big price because Sehwag and Tendulkar are rested, but a lot of the Indian batsmen are in form and the replacement openers are good too. They're going for the sweep and with a lot of quality in the side I think they'll get it. South Africa have taken a narrow loss and an absolute battering, so not sure how they'll perform. The batting doesn't really seem cosposed, and all the bowlers have taken a tonking. They may even rest some players too. Big price on India.