Lord Sam ready to rule ??

Wetherby 2.40.... LORD SAM Jump racing really gets into its stride tomorrow with the running of the Bet 365 Charlie Hall Chase at Wetherby and it will be fascinating to see how Lord Sam fares as he comes into the range of the big guns for the first time. Victor Dartnall's rising star has a remarkable record, having won nine times in ten career outings and he could hardly be crabbed for his only defeat as he finished third to Hardy Eustace in the Royal & Sun Alliance Novices Hurdle at the 2003 Cheltenham Festival. The lightly-raced eight-year-old ran four times in novice chases last season and won the lot, rounding off his campaign with a neck victory over Hi Cloy at Punchestown over a trip that was short of his best. He will obviously have to improve further if he is to make his mark out of the novice ranks, but he has any amount of scope and the three miles one furlong of the Wetherby contest should be just right. It's a big ask against some real top-notchers, but Lord Sam is taken to win this Grade Two event to continue his rise up the ladder. Whould be interested in anyone elses views :ok

Re: Lord Sam ready to rule ?? Im interested in Grey Abbey if we get a bit more rain up here Scottish national champ runs from the front and gets on well with graham lee,like i say ground my only concern Sir Remb - i feel its far too early in the season for him - i really fancy him late in the season,was on 40/1 ew at chelt in march - but ive already backed him for the grand national next year Should be a crackin race tho - expect a good gallop up front by Arctic Jack to stretch them early Bring on the jump season !!

Re: Lord Sam ready to rule ?? To be honest I'd rather take Lord Sam in this one. I know Sir Rembrandt won Best Mate very close in the Gold Cup, but this isn't the gold cup...Wetherby is a completely different track and I'd rather take the up and coming star - but really I won't be betting, will be a great race to watch ;)

Re: Lord Sam ready to rule ?? This is more like it, a proper discussion about a race. If this was a handicap Sir Rembrandt would be giving away at least 10lbs to the rest on official figures & he would have to give 17lbs to Lord Sam. So if Sir Rembrandt runs anything like near his best form the rest, including Lord Sam will need to show a big improvement. With Artic Jack & Grey Abbey likely to take each other on up front it should be a truly run race on soft going. The only one with a recent run is Tugeonev & I can't see this one lasting out the trip. Artic Jack doesn't look quite good enough to take this & Sue Smith's other runner Royal Emperor has won two but been on the floor twice from five starts over fences, a C & D winner tho'. Grey Abbey has also won over C & D, goes well on a left handed track & is the one in the race you'd expect the handicapper to have an accurate assessment of. This is the one rated 10lb behind Sir Rembrandt & they're off level weights here, so unless Grey Abbey improves & FTO this season at the age of ten this is not likely, then Sir Rembrandt will need to run below his form for Grey Abbey to figure. Lord Sam is four from four over fences, however in three of those races he made mistakes & it will be interesting to see how his jumping holds up if this is a truly run event. Needs to find at least a 10lb improvement on what he's done so far IMO. Sir Rembrandt goes well fresh & at eight years old is still open to as much improvement as any of these. Will like the ground & the stronger the pace the better. The best form in the book is the Gold cup second, if he is ready FTO & all the others apart from Turgeonev are in the same boat then he must take all the beating. All the best, Rio.

Re: Lord Sam ready to rule ?? Im with jeffers on this and im gonna go with the Lord sam. quote from paper this morning " Reported by his trainer to be fit enough to return to action and can prove too strong for the likes of Sir Rembrandt and Royal Emp to pocket the £40,000 prize

Re: Lord Sam ready to rule ?? He will obviously have to improve further if he is to make his mark out of the novice ranks, but he has any amount of scope and the three miles one furlong of the Wetherby contest should be just right. It's a big ask against some real top-notchers.:o As stated earlier he needed to improve to win this, needs plenty of schooling i think:wall

Re: Lord Sam ready to rule ?? It will be interesting to see where connections go next with Lord Sam, the talk was the King George on Boxing day but it looks like back to the drawing board. A good spell of schooling & a softer option somewhere to get confidence back would be the best bet. Lord Rembrandt ran a good race, as Francome & Fat Al said he now looks a big fine sort & wherever he goes next he must take some beating. Take nothing away from the winner, I was wrong & he ran right up to his form & maybe even better. Again it will be interesting to see where he goes next, that was Grey Abbeys 13th win & all came on a left handed track, theres no evidence he wouldn't go right handed but the only time he's tried was way back in a bumper at Carlisle. A good thread this, more of the same to come I hope. Rio.

Re: Lord Sam ready to rule ?? Just back from weekend away - didnt see the race but me acc has been credited with a due winner - ha ha ha -got 8.0 early on - had word from the stable he should run a big race (me part of a synd that has one in training with HJ Johnson) - was it a decent contest then? :tongue2 Just gettin back to the Sir Remb topic - like i said ive backed him to win the 2005 national at 50/1 - anyone think he will go that route? I see they cut grey abbey to 25/1 to win it

Future plans Some quotes from the Racing Post. Grey Abbey. “He’ll have a quiet time until after Christmas as he gets better in the spring,” said Johnson, not sure where Grey Abbey will be seen next, but giving strong hints where the gelding - the Tote's 20-1 joint-favourite for the Grand National - will be in the spring. “He’ll definitely be entered in the Gold Cup and we might have to go to Cheltenham now,” said the trainer, playing down a possible Aintree challenge due to the possible burden of top weight. Cheltenham not Aintree is definitely at the forefront of part-owner Steven Roper’s thoughts. “We got 40-1 for the Gold Cup with Victor Chandler in August,” said Roper, making the Gold Cup case for Grey Abbey. “He jumps and he stays on any ground. He’ll definitely get the Gold Cup trip, whereas we think Best Mate only just gets it.” Sir Rembrandt. “I’m delighted. He really needs in excessof this trip but I needed to run him and he’s been beaten by a very good horse. We’ll see how he comes out of this but he could take on Best Mate at Exeter,” Robert Alner is thrilled with Sir Rembrandt Lord Sam. “I’m notparticularly sure he enjoyed the ground and I don’t think he seemed to enjoy being held up. We’ll try and find an easier option for him and go on from there,” Lord Sam’s trainer Victor Dartnall must go back to the drawing board At this point I suspect that Sir Rembrandt will be aimed at the Gold cup rather than the National, he's still only an 8yo & should be approaching his peak now. It depends what he does on his next couple of starts, if he wins or runs well at Exeter then I can see him having one more race before the Gold cup, we shall see. Rio.

Re: Lord Sam ready to rule ?? No need to be worried about shouting your mouth off mate. Any extra info is more than welcomed on here. At the end of the day if we choose to back it or lay it or not bother it's up to us. The more info we get the bigger picture we see:ok

• 1 month later...

Re: Lord Sam ready to rule ?? Lord Sam reappears in a hot looking contest tomorrow at Sandown, only five runners but D'Argent looks the only one to be safely ruled out. Lord Sam is reported to have had intensive schooling since Wetherby & I shall be watching this race with interest, not one to get involved with betting wise tho'. Rio.