What to do when you are getting no respect?

rosco

After a bit of advice or how others handled the situation when their raises are called or re-raised when they are card dead but its important to pick up the blinds. played a deep stack tournament with 98 entrants. I had been table captain for the past 3 hours knocking many out and built a nice chip lead. then my raises were getting called and re-raised, I was flopping nothing and had to fold. at this point blinds were significant and with anties. between 30 down to 15 remained. after a couple of calls and reraises i felt my respect had gone a little and confidence took a hit. I was unsure what to do, I decided play tight aggressive with big hands. I had enough chips to make it to the final table but was too short stacked to make an impact. I dont think I played it right and should have taken more advantage of my chip lead so looking for advice on what other people do in that situation and stage of the tournament?

Re: What to do when you are getting no respect? If you have more chips than others, then it means you have more time than others - if the rest of the table are overplaying, then you can leverage your big stack by using the time it offers you to wait through your "card dead" period - a lucury your opponents dont have. Because you have been card dead to this point, does not mean you will be card dead in the coming cards - previous cards are no indicator of future cards. When blinds rise enough that you are feeling the pressure, and if the table is still playing light, but you cannot wait any more, then I tend to be "all in or fold" pre flop - if you're all in, then your opponents know that they cannot push you off a hand - they have no fold equity - it removes any chance for them of looking to push you off a hand post flop, and makes their more marginal hands less playable.

Re: What to do when you are getting no respect?

After a bit of advice or how others handled the situation when their raises are called or re-raised when they are card dead but its important to pick up the blinds. played a deep stack tournament with 98 entrants. I had been table captain for the past 3 hours knocking many out and built a nice chip lead. then my raises were getting called and re-raised, I was flopping nothing and had to fold. at this point blinds were significant and with anties. between 30 down to 15 remained. after a couple of calls and reraises i felt my respect had gone a little and confidence took a hit. I was unsure what to do, I decided play tight aggressive with big hands. I had enough chips to make it to the final table but was too short stacked to make an impact. I dont think I played it right and should have taken more advantage of my chip lead so looking for advice on what other people do in that situation and stage of the tournament?
I think shifting gears is a good tactic. Maybe in the execution you shifted from 6th gear to 1st gear? (tightened up to much?) Maybe you should have gone from 6th gear to one gear below what the rest of the table is doing? Oh when changing gears or switching lanes, the most important thing is not what you are doing on the road but keep watching what the trafic around you is doing to flow past the other players and avoid getting in a crash. Hope I make any sense here :lol PS, I agree what GaF is saying too if I understand him right :ok