Question - Standard times and difference on different ground

Hello hope you dont mind me asking this Looking at courses and standard times for races and distances . what rule of thumb should I do regarding Firm G/F Good G/Soft Soft Heavy ground as Racingpost shows standard time on results card and then says slow by whatever or fast .The standard time they print as initial comparison is this the same no matter what type of ground or do they print adjusted standard time with regard to the conditions on the day. Sorry if this is a silly question but would love to know this . Also is there a rule to use depending on the ground conditions??

Re: Question - Standard times and difference on different ground As I understand it: Racing Post standard are an average of the best 10 or so times put up by horse with a BHA rating of 100 carrying 9st (on the flat) on good ground. Similar type of thing over jumps. It is the same standard time whatever the ground. On heavy the time might be 25 seconds slower than standard. It is up to us to judge each race by that standard time. Softer ground, poor quality race, slow early pace, can all effect a time. Also beware of rail positions, the actual distance run over can be 30 or more yards different to the advertised distance. With recent changes made to the course like Ascot, Doncaster and Haydock there is not as many races to compare standard times. So a horse may not need to put up such a good run to produce a "good" time.

This thread has more posts. To see them, you'll need to sign up or sign in.