Playing hand face up

heniek31

I think only Washy and Eck knows whats happened. Ok, this was the weirdest hand, I have ever played. It would never happened online. It was live game in Luton. APAT European Amateur Team Championship. I have to give you bit of info, as whats at stake. Scenario: Its the last round of the competition. Poland and France on the same points. We are playing round of SnGs. We are down to 2 tables and on both tables HUs are played. Poland v England and France v cant remember :lol. If we both win or lose our HUs, we go to play offs. Otherwise the champ is elected. I started HU with 2.5k to 12.5k. When the hand occurred, I had 11.5k to 3.5k. At the time, France won other game, so I have to win to force the play offs. Hand: Brian folds (so I thought) and I had a quick glance at cards before throwing them to dealer. It was :Jc::Tc:. I turned them over just to show and pushed them away. I got shout at and it comes, Brian called the blind :$:$:$. So, I'm told, I have to play my hand face up :lol:loon:loon. I put my cards in front of me and dealer brings :8h::8d::9c:. Brian shoves immediately. What would you do remembering whats at stakes? Whats the logic behind his bet? First, I thought he doesn't have 8, cause I doubt he would've pushed, but then, he needs to protect his hand, as open ended is there. I can still catch runner runner. I know, I got one shot cause even if I lose, we will go even in chips. So?

Re: Playing hand face up So Brian has bet 3100 into an 800 pot. It will cost you 3100 to call to win 3900 (and the match). I think I fold. The blinds/pot/odds need to be a bit bigger before I call. Having said that, doing a bit of maths, there's nothing in it! If you fold, then you have 11k v 4k (ish) - which gives you 73% equity to win. If you call and If he has an 8, then you are about 25% to win the hand. If he has a 9, then it's a flip If he has 2 overcards, then its a flip If he has pretty much anything else, then you're a favourite I reckon you probably have 50% equity in the hand. That's 50% to win here and now. plus another 25% equity if you lose (and still have half the chips in play) - call and you have about 75% equity.

Re: Playing hand face up Just how tight is Brian in a heads up? If he has two overcards wouldn't he have raised preflop? If GaF's equity estimates are correct it is a marginal call...if you can't put him on overcards it would be a better call. It becomes a deeply psychological question when looking at the reasoning behind his bet...this is pretty much a unique situation and, having never seen this before, I can't get my head round it. I would however question the legitimacy of you getting your cards back having folded them to the dealer...the bets should have been his surely??? (Sure there is a similar thing in one of the pokerplayer mags...I'll see if I can find it and get back later.) Legality: (Referencing two Matt Savage decisions PP May and Sept this year.) Well it does seem to be the correct thing to allow the player his cards back...as long as his cards have not hit the muck. Penalties are imposed if a player shows his cards during play...however, for some strange reason, this is allowed in heads-up. So everything was fine here. ...but I still don't know what the ''correct'' move is although I think I'd have been tempted to call the bet. Worst scenario is to fold and be shown 45 which could tilt you.

Re: Playing hand face up

Just how tight is Brian in a heads up? If he has two overcards wouldn't he have raised preflop?
He is solid and very good player. I figured a few of his moves and stacks goes up and down on both end of the table. He tried to trap me few times, but in this hand, I got a feeling he's not.

Re: Playing hand face up

I think 88, 89, or 99 + is out of the question so call and :hope Worst case scenario you are back to level again :)
And I did call. My tactics in HU are, I will always take one, loose shot. Usually when if I lose and we go even in chips. I was already strongly considering calling his all in with 98s few hands before. That would have been really loose though. Anyway, I called and he turned over 93o, so I was actually happy with my call. Turn brought :2c:, which gave me 23 outs :loon, yet river bricked. Few hands later, he limped in and I pushed with AQ. He snap called with JJ (sneaky bugga), but I hit, won the game and forced the play-offs :D.

• 3 weeks later...