Privacy rights

PGremlin

Re: Privacy rights Hmmm... that's a practical argument Is that more important than that if you as a person don't want/trust a site with your banking and personal info and want them to remove your info? Do the pokersites "own" the personal information we give them? What if one of them is in financial trouble and decided to sell off all the personal info they have to avoid bankruptcy, would that be ok? Can't an ex-customer demand from a company to delete his financial files because he doesn't want to take the chance that his info get's sold or stolen? What are our privacy rights online?

Re: Privacy rights

Do the pokersites "own" the personal information we give them? What if one of them is in financial trouble and decided to sell off all the personal info they have to avoid bankruptcy, would that be ok?
That clearly would be a legal issue if it were to happen. Even if sites make you agree that they can hold your records, I doubt any put in the small print that they are allowed to sell the details.

I don't know the answer' date=' but my guess is that if anyone bothered to read the small print when signing up for these sites, instead of just ticking the "agree with terms + conditions" box, they would discover that they give up the rights to privacy.[/quote'] The terms and conditions override the privacy rights we have?

The terms and conditions override the privacy rights we have?
Under the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, I have a right to life. But if I go bungee jumping, I sign a form saying that the operators bear no responsiblity if I die. If I die, I have signed away my family's right to sue the operators. I imagine once you tick a box saying that they can hold your records, they can hold your records. Again, that's not the same as them passing records onto a 3rd party. Edit : Again, I am no expert, and just using my own judgement about what the situation will be.

Under the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, I have a right to life. But if I go bungee jumping, I sign a form saying that the operators bear no responsiblity if I die. If I die, I have signed away my family's right to sue the operators. I imagine once you tick a box saying that they can hold your records, they can hold your records. Again, that's not the same as them passing records onto a 3rd party. Edit : Again, I am no expert, and just using my own judgement about what the situation will be.
Thanks for thinking with me :ok I was thinking and wondered what my privacy rights were and after googling for a while I thought it might be a good discussion. btw, what got me thinking was this: =================================== This is Rem from the Support Team. xx xxx, please be advised that we can not remove your details from our database. However, rest assured that they will kept in full confidentiality. =================================== Why do I have to trust them? Don't believe they can't delete my details.

The terms and conditions override the privacy rights we have?
Not sure what "rights" you think you have ? all depends on local laws where the sites are based. Not sure there are many laws like this in the cayman islands or whereever

Not sure what "rights" you think you have ? all depends on local laws where the sites are based. Not sure there are many laws like this in the cayman islands or whereever
Good point :loon But let's take a UK based company like CanBet: http://www.canbetpoker.com/privacy.html They clearly refer to a Data Protection Act that protects Privacy rights in UK :ok ======================================================== 1. Data Protection Act Under the Data Protection Act 1998, we have a number of obligations to our customers with regard to the management of their personal information. This policy sets out the way in which we will deal with the information that you provide to allow us to manage your relationship with us. Under this act, we will ensure that all data is:
  1. Fairly and lawfully processed;
  2. Processed for limited purposes;
  3. Adequate, relevant and not excessive;
  4. Accurate;
  5. Not kept for longer than is necessary;
  6. Processed in line with your rights;
  7. Secure; and
  8. Not transferred to countries without adequate protection.

======================================================== So I guess UK based pokersites have better privacy terms then a certain pokerroom based in Antigua and Barbuda :sad