Virgin Poker: £5 to £1000 (£70.05 on Day 34)

GaF

Re: Virgin Poker: £5 to £1000 (£21.74 on Day 9)

I havent thought about bankroll management really yet - hasn't been an issue - I just play the smallest tables :tongue2 In looking to move up (using the 5% cash/STT and 2% MTT rules) I need the following approximate bankrolls to buy into higher value games: STTs €1+10c always allowed €2+20c needs €44 (£40) €3+30c needs €66 (£60) €5+50c needs €110 (£99) €10+€1 needs €220 (£198) €15+€1.50 needs €330 (£297) €20+€2 needs €440 (£396)
Are all the STTs you're playing Coolers? Probably you could risk a slightly smaller bankroll for those, as the variance is smaller than a standard STT, depending on whether your EV is also smaller.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Virgin Poker: £5 to £1000 (£21.74 on Day 9) Yes I'm only playing Cooler STTs. I'm confident that my EV is higher in them than in standard STTs. At €1 they are turbos - which will increase variance a bit. What do you think a reasonable bankroll strategy would be for these? Half? (i.e. never buy in for more than 10% of bankroll)

Re: Virgin Poker: £5 to £1000 (£21.74 on Day 9)

Yes I'm only playing Cooler STTs. I'm confident that my EV is higher in them than in standard STTs. At €1 they are turbos - which will increase variance a bit.
The fact that they are turbos might lower EV per game, but I don't see why it should have much effect on your variance.
What do you think a reasonable bankroll strategy would be for these? Half? (i.e. never buy in for more than 10% of bankroll)
Something like that, maybe, though obviously it depends on your win rate.

Re: Virgin Poker: £5 to £1000 (£24.48 on Day 10) The following is making some dubious assumptions: you never drop down in stake, and all results are completely independent (you don't have spells of playing better or worse than your average). But it may help quantify the difference between coolers and standard 10-seater STTs with 5/3/2 payout. Suppose in both cases your ROI is +10%, and that in the case of the standard STTs that's made up of equal numbers of 1st/2nd/3rd places. In order to have less than a 10% chance of going broke playing at $1.10: For coolers, you need at least a bank of around $10.30. For the standard STTs you need around $31.20.

Re: Virgin Poker: £5 to £1000 (£35.59 on Day 15) According to PokerTracker - my total play time in tourneys has been 9.68 hours - my cash table time has been 2.85 hours - so that's about 12.5 hours - about £2.50 an hour - sure nowhere near a wage, but pretty respectable IMO from virtually nothing :)

Re: Virgin Poker: £5 to £1000 (£47.44 on Day 16) :ok Not bad GaF - I'm currently on £61.80 from the initial £5 - almost wholly from 2 Cashes in Vrolls (£25 per Time). The rest from profit earning the Vroll Hands - aren't you just tempted to try a less disciplined Bankroll approach and offset the Risk of Ruin against the Risk of Losing Interest through grinding €2 Coolers ?? (I just can't get my head around grinding the €2 Coolers)

Re: Virgin Poker: £5 to £1000 (£47.44 on Day 16) They're turbos, so dont take long - I've only played about a dozen of them, and I've cleared them into €3 games already and pretty close to €5 - I dont really think of it as much of a grind - I think it would be a far bigger grind if I fell back to a euro or something and had to build up again from there.... I'm unlikely to let the challenge beat me - it's more likely a question of time - so I feel a strict bankroll strategy is the best way to minimise the time it takes.... And nice going :ok

Re: Virgin Poker: £5 to £1000 (£47.44 on Day 16) Ah .... decision deceisions - at €3 I now have the option of "Cooler", "Quick Cooler" and "Turbo Cooler" - I feel my ev would be highest in the "Cooler" .... but my ev/hour - not a clue :unsure Anyone who subscribes to sharkscope able to delve into my previous results and offer any advice?

Re: Virgin Poker: £5 to £1000 (£25.04 on Day 19)

Nothing specific - just lost a lot of games :lol :lol :lol
You had us worried! :spank I thought you might have got addicted to the scratchcards and blown your whole bankroll. :cry Sorry, I shouldn't tease. :$ If you're being aggressive enough with your bankroll to almost multiply it by ten in 16 days, then you're bound to have occasional big percentage losing runs. You still have over five times your initial bankroll, and I'm sure you'll be back to 10x before long. :ok