Master Minded and the 2 mile division

So what happened to Master Minded today? Was it just a blip or sign of things to come? Imo even off level weights he would have been beaten by Well Chief. Timmy didn't use the whip at all today and is still trying to protect and save Well Chief. He also did two very bad mistakes. At the 2nd last he was on his knees and I thought he lost the race there, but he picked up and finished strongly. While MM was way below his best, I think Well Chief wasn't at his best either. Same would have happened in Ireland if Big Zeb hadn't hit that last fence so hard. He would have won that race. If you look at Master Minded's form in the last two years, he only has beaten Petit Robin, Tidal Bay and Voy Por Ustedes. Hardly any of these can be called a true superstar. Certainly the first two aren't. And Voy Por Ustedes has never had the speed to be able to challenge over 2m. Last year in the Champion Chase Timmy Murphy was afraid to ride Well Chief aggressively, because it was his first run for more than two years. And while I will never say Master Minded is a bad horse and a bad winner of two Champion Chases, I think this is the first year he will actually need to do something to prove he is the best 2 miler. Big Zeb is improving. Well Chief has always been a proper grade 1 horse and I hope he's ok in the morning and his legs are fine. Kalahari King is another one, who could potentially be a nice 2m contender. And Twist Magic ran a blinder in the Haldon off top weight on soft and he also seems to have all his troubles behind and seems to stay true 2 miles these days. Barker from the Mullins yard is another horse, who is said to be improving and with an outside chance. I for one am absolutely thrilled that the Champion Chase can again be called a proper contest and not just one horse race and no competition whatsoever. It's good for racing and it's good for betting. Let's see if Master Minded really can come back from this blip and prove everybody that he is the best horse. Kauto Star did it last year. Only time will tell if MM can do the same. But there are some exciting times ahead in the 2m division :ok

Re: Master Minded and the 2 mile division As you know, I'm not big on the jumps but do agree the 2m crown is much more interesting this term. Personally, I still think Master Minded is the one to beat and, come big race day, will be tough to beat. Can't be backing Well Chief as it seems too fragile, whilst Twist Magic IMO isn't top class. Should be a nice race but Ruby is still in the box seat:ok

This thread has more posts. To see them, you'll need to sign up or sign in.