Goal Rating System

Djordje

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Goal Rating System

What's the difference between a lay and backing?
Sorry to intrude on your thread, Djordje, but maybe I can point TastesLikeTuna in the right direction (probably to the nearest coast :lol.... Tuna.... sea..... get it?) Where a selection says, for example, "Back Barnsley", you should bet on Barnsley to win (Djordje quotes the best odds available). Where the selection says, for example, "Lay Swindon", you should bet on Swindon not to win. You can do this one of 3 ways..... (a) you can "lay" Swindon on a betting exchange site (e.g. Betfair), (b) you can bet on a "double chance" market (i.e. the opposition team to win, or a draw), or © you can bet on the opposition team with an Asian Handicap of +0.5 (e.g. Pinnacle). Option (a) will probably give you the best odds, with Option © and close second. The odds on Option (b) are usually the poorest. I hope this clarifies it. Djordje is getting excellent results so far, so I think it's worth putting a few quid on his selections. :ok

Re: Goal Rating System Hello Djordje, it is very interesting to see, that nearly your total profit is generated by the Back-Bets although the strike rate is negative. But that doesn´t matter as the average quote is well over 2,00. May be it is a good choice to concentrate on back-Bets and drop the laying bets ??? Best wishes and good luck ! Greetings from Germany Brecki

Re: Goal Rating System thanks for your input brecki :ok indeed, backs were far more successful, and I was also thinking about focusing on traditional 1x2 bets. These are back vs lay stats so far: Back:

Bets counter 26
Strike rate 0.31
Staked 162.00
Profit 30.30
Yield 18.70
Lay:
Bets counter 33
Strike rate 0.52
Staked 261.61
Profit -9.74
Yield -3.72
Sample is not big enough, but difference looks quite significant. One more thing I noticed is that these lay results were pretty good with odds up to 2.00, i.e. Laying favorites seems much more profitable. Here is the stats for Laying with odds lower than evens:
Bets counter 18
Strike rate 0.56
Staked 130.41
Profit 35.31
Yield 27.08
There is definitely room for improvements according to this, and the first step would be to exclude risky lay bets. Any thoughts?

Re: Goal Rating System Well, very good investigation! The most important thing is, that if you change your betting philosophy and just lay odds less than even, there MUST NOT BE ANY CHANGE to your selection process. That means there is no need to add any further bets just because the total number of bets is reduced by not playing lay bets higher than even. I just mention this, because it is natural to do this automatically without even noticing it. I will follow this thread with pleasure and hope you can keep the horse racing till we are rich :D

Even better :loon..... as a matter of interest' date= why are you concentrating only on matches with ratings of +1, 0 and -1 ? Is this because you have more historical data which falls into this group, and therefore more confidence ?
Hi Djordje, I see you answered this question in the affirmative My question is, say you found a team with GR +1 that you considered a value bet, if in another fixture a team had a higher GR and was available at the same price, shouldn't that also be a bet (since I presume that the correlation between GR and win rate is positive)? I understand the need to filter the large number of fixtures down, but could it be at the expense of missing out on even better value bets elsewhere?

Hi Djordje, I see you answered this question in the affirmative My question is, say you found a team with GR +1 that you considered a value bet, if in another fixture a team had a higher GR and was available at the same price, shouldn't that also be a bet (since I presume that the correlation between GR and win rate is positive)? I understand the need to filter the large number of fixtures down, but could it be at the expense of missing out on even better value bets elsewhere?
Your statement is logical, but that's not that simple. For example, match ratings of +15 or +20 are quite rare, so I can't be so confident that my percentages are right in these situations.

Re: Goal Rating System I can understand that lack of data at the extremes makes it difficult to reliably calculate the value price for each specific value of GR. However, what I am questioning is if (for simplicity's sake) the best-fit line tells us that the home team in a fixture with GR of zero is value at any price 2.0 or better, then surely it follows that for all fixtures with GR of zero and higher any home team whose price is 2.0 or better must also represent a value bet Hope I've explained myself better this time :)

Re: Goal Rating System Thanks Grex. I'm not trying to throw a spanner in the works of a system that is doing the business, you understand Djordje, just wondering whether the selection criteria could be expanded to include more bets, without changing the logic :ok

Thanks Grex. I'm not trying to throw a spanner in the works of a system that is doing the business' date=' you understand Djordje, just wondering whether the selection criteria could be expanded to include more bets, without changing the logic :ok[/quote'] I see where you're coming from, no problem ;) I'm currently experimenting with different selection criteria, so I'll gladly inform you when I get some more details :ok