KEY RACE: Hills Gold Cup Chase Exeter Nov 3rd 2009

Another one i just noted this week, early decs to date : Tuesday November 3 2009 Exeter 14:30 William Hill Gold Cup Chase (Limited Handicap) £75000.00 added, 4yo plus, 2m 1f 110y, Class 1 17 runners Going: Chase Good, Good to Soft in places; Hurdle Good to Soft, Soft in places Sky Bet special - bet £30, get £30 free!

FormHorseAgeWtTrainerJockeyORNagMe
1/4F6F1-Twist Magic (FR) 192 711-10 P F Nicholls 167 nag.gif
FP/2113-Nacarat (FR) 214 811-5 T R George 162 nag.gif
121102-I'msingingtheblues (IRE) 199 710-11 P F Nicholls 154 nag.gif
10050P-Ashley Brook (IRE) 213 1110-9 K Bishop 152 nag.gif
1/41133-Planet of Sound 215 710-9 P J Hobbs 152 nag.gif
340363-Mahogany Blaze (FR) 192 710-8 N A Twiston-Davies 151 nag.gif
23F211-Oh Crick (FR) 215 610-5 A King 148 nag.gif
01204-FCornas (NZ) 23 710-4 Nick Williams D Jacob 147 nag.gif
51136-0Oumeyade (FR) 38 710-4 D McCain Jnr 147 nag.gif
113140-Panjo Bere (FR) 238 610-1 G L Moore 144 nag.gif
53/5111-Master Medic (IRE) 319 89-11 R H & Mrs S Alner 140 nag.gif
112500-I'm So Lucky 215 79-10 D E Pipe 139 nag.gif
P/31100-Pasco (SWI) 215 69-10 P F Nicholls 139 nag.gif
223445-Straw Bear (USA) 236 89-10 N J Gifford 139 nag.gif
1/41104-Or Bleu (FR) 197 79-9 P J Hobbs 138 nag.gif
11F143-Heathcote 220 79-4 G L Moore 133 nag.gif
3413-54Dream Falcon 19 97-9 R J Hodges C Wallis (7) 110 nag.gif

Re: KEY RACE: Hills Gold Cup Chase Exeter Nov 3rd 2009 Previous winners:

YearWinnerJockeyTrainerOdds
2008 Ashley Brook (IRE)R JohnsonK Bishop8/1
2007 Pablo Du CharmilT ScudamoreD E Pipe9/2
2006 ImpekAP McCoyMiss H Knight9/1
2005 MonkerhostinR JohnsonPJ Hobbs10/1
2004 AzertyuiopR WalshPF Nicholls6/5f
2003 Edredon BleuJ CullotyMiss H Knight7/2
2002 Edredon BleuJ CullotyMiss H Knight10/1
2001 Best MateJ CullotyMiss H Knight8/13f

Re: KEY RACE: Hills Gold Cup Chase Exeter Nov 3rd 2009

Some great old names have won this in the past ' date=' was a conditions race prior to '96 .[/quote'] It is an excellent race, you do have to check the midweek action as some of these races appear. I can't see Twist Magic ever running on soft ground again so will be a surprise if it lines up if the ground is anywhere near soft.

Re: KEY RACE: Hills Gold Cup Chase Exeter Nov 3rd 2009 Some ,hopefully, helpful facts about previous winners after '95 4 FAVS have won since 1995 and ony 2 winners were returned at double figures , both 10/1 - EDREDON BLEU in '02 and MONKERHOSTIN in '05. The lowest OR was 142 , PABLO DE CHARMIL in '07. 2 had previously ran that season , finishing 1st + 2nd . the rest weremaking their seasonal debuts. As you can see the age range is from 5 to 12 but only one winner since '96 was aged 11 or above. With respect to K Bishop and G Kelleway this is normally won by one of the top NH stables.

It is an excellent race' date=' you do have to check the midweek action as some of these races appear. I can't see Twist Magic ever running on soft ground again so will be a surprise if it lines up if the ground is anywhere near soft.[/quote'] G/S with Soft in places now and some heavy showers forcast for Monday + Tuesday . Can't see them running him in those conditions at this stage of the season .

Re: KEY RACE: Hills Gold Cup Chase Exeter Nov 3rd 2009 Ashley Brook to do a Monet's Garden? :loon Very tough with the horses in the race. Last year's race was so weak. Twist Magic did nothing and all the others were nothing special. This year there are some top class horses in there and as much as I'd like Ashley to win, it would be almost impossible.

1 86913.GIF 1/4F6F1- Twist Magic (FR) 192 7 11-10 P F Nicholls N Fehily 167 nag.gif SP SP SP
2 3182.GIF FP/2113- Nacarat (FR) 214 d.gif 8 11-5 T R George S Thomas 162 nag.gif SP SP SP
3 280.GIF 121182- I'msingingtheblues (IRE) 199 <a href=bf.gif"> 7 10-11 P F Nicholls Christian Williams 154 nag.gif SP SP SP
4 2651.GIF 10757P- Ashley Brook (IRE) 213 cd.gif 11 10-9 K Bishop C Bolger 152 nag.gif SP SP SP
5 50605.GIF 1/41133- Planet of Sound 215 7 10-9 P J Hobbs R Johnson 152 nag.gif SP SP SP
6 10004.GIF 347363- Mahogany Blaze (FR) 192 cd.gif 7 10-8 N A Twiston-Davies P J Brennan 151 nag.gif SP SP SP
7 61578.GIF 23F211- Oh Crick (FR) 215 cd.gif 6 10-5 A King R Thornton 148 nag.gif SP SP SP
8 23986.GIF 81274-F Cornas (NZ) 23 <a href=bf.gif"> 7 10-4 Nick Williams D Jacob 147 nag.gif SP SP SP
9 3234.GIF 113140- Panjo Bere (FR) 238 d.gif 6 10-4 G L Moore P Hide 144 nag.gif SP SP SP

Re: KEY RACE: Hills Gold Cup Chase Exeter Nov 3rd 2009 A very tricky race with OH CRICK ,PLANET OF SOUND and NACARAT around the 4/1 mark. I can't have ASHLEY BROOK or PANJO BERE as they are around 16/1 , as well as ASHLEY being an 11 y-old now. TWIST MAGIC , well the NICHOL'S stable will have one ready to run but ready to win ?? maybe next time for me. NACARAT probably needs further and needs to sort out his jumping before i'd be putting money on him. I'SINGINGTHEBLUES would have a better chance if the ground dried out a bit but apart from that everything else suits him and that 2nd LTO to DEEP PURPLE looks even better after Saturday. Will this NICHOLS runner be fit enough though ? he has won twice first-time-out which is a positive . Soft going certainly won't bother PLANET OF SOUND and if this was run at Newbury he'd probably be clear fav [ won 3/4 there] but , like NACARAT he does have a tendancy to hit a few but he has never fallen . MAHOGANY BLAZE ran in most of the best Grade 1/2 races around 2m last season without success but not totally disgracing himself. He was 2nd in this last season , similar conditions for tomorrow , and i feel he must have a good chance of taking this . Twiston-Davies stable have had 4 winners since Friday and of course OLLIE MAGERN ran a great race in the Charlie Hall . With doubts whether a lot of his rivals may be fully wound-up this could a good chance for him to nap a nice Grade 2 Chase . Alan KING seems to have got back to winning ways which is good news for OH CRICK fanciers and the conditions certainly suit this one. He has however went up 9lb since his last win and looking closely i see that 6 of his 7 career wins have came after Jan 1st . CORNAS has had a run this season but Fell in Grade 3 Chase at Limerick . With respect to Nick Williams i'd prefer to look at one of the top guys here. Summary - A repeat of last seasons run could see MAHOGANY BLAZE go one better with a year under his belt . The stable is in form , all conditions suit and i'm hoping a few of his rivals will need / want the race . 7/1 will do for me . If I'MSINGINGTHEBLUES handles the going and is fit enough he must have a decent EW shout @ 11/1

Re: KEY RACE: Hills Gold Cup Chase Exeter Nov 3rd 2009 Twist Magic - The horse won't act on the track just like it doesnt act at Chetenham, this is a prep for the tingle creek. Won't apreciate any cut either, has to have top of the ground. Record at Exeter (4th of 9) & Cheltenham (6th of 9 & 2 fell). Nacarat - The further the better for this horse & may need it softer. Will be interesting in some top chases this year & maybe an outsider for the KIng George. I'msingingtheblues - tends to make the odd mistake under pressure. Christian williams gets on well with the horse. Wouldnt want it any softer Ashley Brook - likes it here & won this last year. Enigmatic character & cannot be relied upon to perform. If able to lead, could take some catching but 2lb higher than last year. Planet of sound - likes Newbury won there 3 times last season. 3rd in last years Arkle & will pick up a nice prize this season. I cannot rely on Johnson to be honest in any chase race but this horse can jump & i expect it to be in the 1st 3. Mahogany Blaze - i backed this horse last year in this race & thought it would get to the winner but it didnt have enough. Found it hard to win off this mark last season & is a basic 2 miler, i would prefer to see it at Kempton to be honest over the 2m trip or Cheltenham. Oh Crick - with victories at Cheltenham & Aintree, this horse really finished the season well however its asking a lot to win 1st time up off this mark of 148. King has started having winners though & it will be interesting to see how it fares. Cornas - is another 2 miler who is up against it off this mark in this quality race. Panjo Bere - will stay no problems & if stamina comes into it, may be a nice price to consider. Had the scalp of Free World last season at Ascot also. Conclusion Question marks over a number of these but PLANET OF SOUND stands out for me with the trip, ground in its favour. Wn or placed in 10 of the 12 races it has run. Imsingingtheblues could be the danger & Panjo Bere a live outsider at a nice price.

Re: KEY RACE: Hills Gold Cup Chase Exeter Nov 3rd 2009 Only two horses in the race have not won on today's ground conditions which are described as Good To Soft. The two are Nacarat and Cornas, although they have both finished 2nd on the going. Nacarat has been pulled up twice and fell on his three other runs on Good To Soft so that definately rules him out for me. On the other hand Cornas and Nacarat have both won on Soft ground so if more rain falls by the time of the race then they may stand in for a better chance. Oh Crick has a 100% record over today's trip when the going has been Good To Soft (3 wins from 3) and so does Panjo Bere (1 win from 1). Oh Crick is raised 9lbs from his win on his last appearance at Aintree in a Grade 3 race, also won at Cheltenham 2 races back. Should be thereabouts today but the weight may prove too much for him on his first run of the season. Panjo Bere has won on his first start of the season the last 2 years with vcitories at Fontwell. His most impressive win last season was at Ascot in a Grade 2 race over today's trip where he won off 136, is 8lbs higher today and can't rule out. Plant Of Sound has form of 1221 over today's trip, 2 of those runs came on Good To Soft, one on Soft, and the other on Good ground. He has won over further on Good To Soft and Soft ground. He was 3rd in the Arkle at Cheltenham and 3rd LTO at Aintree in a Grade 2 race at Aintree. Both those races were not over today's trip and I feel he is best at this trip and should go close. Is 10lbs higher than his last win but his last 2 runs have came off 150 and 152 (which he runs off today) and he placed both times as already mentioned. Has also won going fresh before when winning his first race of the season back in 2007. 2pt win Plane Of Sound @ 4/1 (Bet 365 - BOG) 1 pt win Oh Crick @ 4/1 (Bet 365 - BOG) (Saver) 0.5pts E/W Panjo Bere @ 10/1 (Bet 365 - BOG)

Re: KEY RACE: Hills Gold Cup Chase Exeter Nov 3rd 2009 I'll go against the flow here... 3.00 Exeter - CORNAS (Each Way @ 9/1 Will Hill) This is a good race and quite why Planet Of Sound is as short as 4/1 is a mystery to me. First up I am discounting the Nicholls pair, I'msingingtheblues & Twist Magic as the ground has went against both of them. I don't think Ashley Brook can be underestimated given his record fresh but the one that interests me is Nick Williams' Cornas. Proven on soft ground this horse has taken well to fences and he ran a respectable race to finish 7th in the Arkle. He was 6 lengths behind Planet Of Sound on that occasion but has a 5lb pull at the weights and although not a massive pull, he offers more value at 9/1 rather than the Hobbs horse at 4/1. He fell on his seasonal debut at Limerick 3 weeks ago when going well 5 out and I think he is worth another chance here at a tasty price. He receives plenty of weight from the main challengers and 9/1 looks good for an each way nibble in my opinion.

I'll go against the flow here... 3.00 Exeter - CORNAS (Each Way @ 9/1 Will Hill) This is a good race and quite why Planet Of Sound is as short as 4/1 is a mystery to me. First up I am discounting the Nicholls pair, I'msingingtheblues & Twist Magic as the ground has went against both of them. I don't think Ashley Brook can be underestimated given his record fresh but the one that interests me is Nick Williams' Cornas. Proven on soft ground this horse has taken well to fences and he ran a respectable race to finish 7th in the Arkle. He was 6 lengths behind Planet Of Sound on that occasion but has a 5lb pull at the weights and although not a massive pull, he offers more value at 9/1 rather than the Hobbs horse at 4/1. He fell on his seasonal debut at Limerick 3 weeks ago when going well 5 out and I think he is worth another chance here at a tasty price. He receives plenty of weight from the main challengers and 9/1 looks good for an each way nibble in my opinion.
I second your opinion i think cornas will go close today:hope

Twist Magic - The horse won't act on the track just like it doesnt act at Chetenham, this is a prep for the tingle creek. Won't apreciate any cut either, has to have top of the ground. Record at Exeter (4th of 9) & Cheltenham (6th of 9 & 2 fell). Nacarat - The further the better for this horse & may need it softer. Will be interesting in some top chases this year & maybe an outsider for the KIng George. I'msingingtheblues - tends to make the odd mistake under pressure. Christian williams gets on well with the horse. Wouldnt want it any softer Ashley Brook - likes it here & won this last year. Enigmatic character & cannot be relied upon to perform. If able to lead, could take some catching but 2lb higher than last year. Planet of sound - likes Newbury won there 3 times last season. 3rd in last years Arkle & will pick up a nice prize this season. I cannot rely on Johnson to be honest in any chase race but this horse can jump & i expect it to be in the 1st 3. Mahogany Blaze - i backed this horse last year in this race & thought it would get to the winner but it didnt have enough. Found it hard to win off this mark last season & is a basic 2 miler, i would prefer to see it at Kempton to be honest over the 2m trip or Cheltenham. Oh Crick - with victories at Cheltenham & Aintree, this horse really finished the season well however its asking a lot to win 1st time up off this mark of 148. King has started having winners though & it will be interesting to see how it fares. Cornas - is another 2 miler who is up against it off this mark in this quality race. Panjo Bere - will stay no problems & if stamina comes into it, may be a nice price to consider. Had the scalp of Free World last season at Ascot also. Conclusion Question marks over a number of these but PLANET OF SOUND stands out for me with the trip, ground in its favour. Wn or placed in 10 of the 12 races it has run. Imsingingtheblues could be the danger & Panjo Bere a live outsider at a nice price.
I love it when a plan comes together get in you beauty, & a great race to watch with 3 in it jumping the last:clap unlucky with Cornas guys ran a great race. I was right about Nacarat not liking it here & Twist Magic ran really well on ground it hates, get that one on side when its fast!

Re: KEY RACE: Hills Gold Cup Chase Exeter Nov 3rd 2009 It seems the penny has finally dropped for Twist Magic. He ran really well in his last race last season. Looked calm that day and settled well. Didn't see how he behaved today. Was he ok? Would have an outside chance in the Champion Chase. Doesn't neccessarily hate such undaulting tracks. He was running a blinder before falling in the Arkle few seasons ago. Chasing MM home in the Tigle Creek when falling 2 out. Definite e/w bet in the Tigle Creek, but probably would be a shite price.

Re: KEY RACE: Hills Gold Cup Chase Exeter Nov 3rd 2009 Well done BOWLES and STUSIMMY on getting the winner and also to JJ for the 2nd @ EW :clap Never seen the race but reading the report i take it i got a decent run for my money from MAHOGANY BLAZE ?? 3rd would have been nice as the place money would have been nice :\

Re: KEY RACE: Hills Gold Cup Chase Exeter Nov 3rd 2009 Tuesday November 3 2009 i_rresult.gif Exeter 15:00 - Result William Hill Gold Cup Chase (limited Handicap) £75000 added, 4yo plus, 2m 1f 110y, Class 1, £42758 penalty, 9 ran Going: Good to Soft (Soft places Chase Course;Hurdles;Heavy, Soft in places) Race Report » i_time.gif Winning Time: 4m 21.3s

Pos.Dist.HorseWtJockeyTrainerAgeSP
1 Planet of Sound 10-9 R Johnson P J Hobbs 74/1 f
mid-division, headway after 8th, challenged last, led flat, stayed on well touched 9/2
2 3½Cornas (NZ) 10-4 D Jacob Nick Williams 75/1
held up in rear, headway after 8th, challenged 4 out, led approaching last and rider had tack problems briefly, headed flat, no extra towards finish opened 13/2
3 3Twist Magic (FR) 11-10 N Fehily P F Nicholls 716/1
held up in rear, headway when not fluent 7th, kept on same pace from 3 out, never able to challenge opened 12/1
4 1Mahogany Blaze (FR) 10-8 P J Brennan N A Twiston-Davies 711/2
reminder before 1st, chased leaders, went 2nd 6th, led approaching 4 out, headed approaching last, no extra flat opened 13/2
5 10Oh Crick (FR) 10-5 R Thornton A King 611/2
jumped left and mistake 1st, held up in rear, headway 8th, soon ridden, beaten 4 out opened 5/1 touched 6/1
6 nkI'msingingtheblues (IRE) 10-11 Christian Williams P F Nicholls 712/1
tracked leaders, every chance when not fluent 4 out, weakened 2 out opened 11/1 touched 14/1
7 7Ashley Brook (IRE) 10-9 C Bolger K Bishop 1111/1
pressed leader until not fluent 6th, losing touch when jumped left 8th opened 12/1
8 12Nacarat (FR) 11-5 S Thomas T R George 811/2
led until approaching 4 out, soon weakened opened 6/1 touched 9/2
PU Panjo Bere (FR) 10-4 P Hide G L Moore 69/1
prominent, blundered badly and dropped rear 4th, weakened 8th, pulled up before 4 out opened 10/1
Tote Win: £5.40 Tote Place: £2.00,£2.20,£4.70 Straight Forecast: £24.70 Tricast: £286.22 Exacta: £29.30 Swingers:1&2:£6.60, 2&3:£23.70, 1&3:£16.80

Well done BOWLES and STUSIMMY on getting the winner and also to JJ for the 2nd @ EW :clap Never seen the race but reading the report i take it i got a decent run for my money from MAHOGANY BLAZE ?? 3rd would have been nice as the place money would have been nice :\
Cheers mate, not long watched the race as I was working and was delighted with the outcome, my 2 each ways seemed to sruggle but the main bet won :ok