Baseball Queries

I have noticed that there is more baseball being discussed here than before, so I was hoping that someone could give me any info on the following. I have had a few bets on the totals over the last few weeks, my bets have always been on the Under and I have only bet when both of the two pitchers ERA for the last 5 games is less than 3.00 This is probably not a sound basis for any sort of system, but I was hoping that with some refinement it might be of use. What scores do not contribute to the ERA? On average how many innings per game does the starting pitcher continue for? Is there any way of finding this information out before the start of a game? Can I find out who the replacement pitchers will be? and the biggie: Are the starting pitchers the most influential factor in determining the run totals? Any help (links or books) would be much appreciated cheers :ok

Baseball Queries Ill see what I can do. Although my threads doing well theres still a few things Im on sure of myself. 1) Unsure to be honest. I know runs earnt due to an error dont but Im unsure otherwise. 2) Depends. STL's pitcher was out after 2/3's of a inning after conceding 8 runs the other night. On average though they call it about 100 pitches. This will usually be between the 5 -7 inning mark. 3) 2 sites I use are www.mlb.com and sports.espn.go.com/mlb/index. More stats than you can shake a big stick at. 4) At the ESPN link, if you go to each clubs page they have a link to the lineup giving the pitching rotation. Order that the replacements come in on is all done to situation of game and requirements. BIGGIE) Id say they play a large roll in it, yes. Starting pitcher will usually pitch 2/3's of the game(maybe more if hes having a good one) so it'll be largly down to him. It's more than possible for the bullpen to throw a lead away though so you want to make sure the whole bullpen arent bad.(LA's better starters are usually quite safe when you have Gagne coming on as closer) Also worth looking to see what each team has been hitting. Hitting averages and runs scored will let you know what theyre batters are doing. Same way as in footy you'd look at a teams attacking as well as defending. And Ive got one of my own if anyone can help. I know a pitcher wins or loses the match if his team are leading or losing when he comes off. If the result changes after , is this when a no-decision is given? Is the only time a no-decision is given or are there others? Cheers

Re: Baseball Queries WTFE, From Mlb.com Win "The starting pitcher is credited with a win if he has pitched at least five complete innings and his team not only is in the lead when he is replaced but remains in the lead the remainder of the game. When the starting pitcher is not credited with the win, the win shall be awarded to the relief pitcher judged by the scorer to have been the most effective, or who is the pitcher of record when his team assumes the lead and maintains it to the finish of the game." Loss "A pitcher is charged with the loss of the game if he is replaced when his team is behind in the score, or falls behind because of runs charged to him after he is replaced, and his team thereafter fails either to tie the score or gain the lead, regardless of how many innings he has pitched." Save "A pitcher is credited with a save when he finishes a game won by his club, is not the winning pitcher, and either (a) enters the game with a lead of no more than three runs and pitches for at least one inning, (b) enters the game with the potential tying run either on base, or at bat, or on deck, or © pitches effectively for at least three innings." No idea if that helps, cos W/L and saves has always been something that confused me :\

Guest abookiesworstnightmare

Baseball Queries 3 factors contribute to run totals, Starting pitcher Bullpen Stadium i'd say 60% is SP you will always see low totals at Dodgers Stadium as it is a big pitcher park, meaning to hit a Homer you have to hit it at least 50 yards further than mot oher ballparks as the outfield is so big, Wrigley Park(chi cubs) totals are 49% Starting pitcher, 49% Stadium, Because if the wind is blowing in at wrigley NOTHING leaves the park ,,if the wind is blowing out significantly which it does on a daily basis anything you hit will fly out the park for a homer. thats why u dont see totals for Cubs and rockies over night. they check the weather early morning, (it can still change). rockies is kinda the same thing as the cubs, but its humidity not wind, Stadium is very high up. i could explain wins, loss, saves easier for u, but it'll take too freekin long :lol . anything else u wanna know ask, i visit the forum most days. :)