NFL Pre-season wk. 1

Guest TazaD

Will start the new season with : Baltimore -3 If this was the reg. season, Baltimore would be -10! Vick will only play one series for Atlanta, then rookie Matt Schaub will play into the 4th. Baltimore will go with Boller for most of the first quarter and will then go with former starter Kordell Stewart for the rest. Atlanta's defense is being re-jigged, but again looks to be weak v. the run. Lewis won't play, but Taylor and Smith should be able to run for big yards. Baltimore D should definately be able to keep a Vick-less Atlanta quiet.

Guest hawksteel

Re: NFL Pre-season wk. 1 NFL preseason is generally a toss up but I'd have to agree on this one as one of the few worth putting a few points on.

Re: NFL Pre-season wk. 1 Can't agree with you, hawksteel. I believe that pre-season is a very good time to bet. The coaches let everyone know their QB rotations...plus they usually tell us what they are trying to achieve in the game. I think Oakland -1 is a tremendous bet on Saturday. SF are having real depth problems with injuries. Rattay won't play at all. Dorsey and Doman will play the whole game. Compared to the Oak rotation of Gannon, Collins, Tuiasosopo and Martin. ...But, even more importantly the Oakland owner has told the coaching staff to WIN. After a disappointing season last year, they want to turn the franchise around, and et off to a winning start..even in pre-season. Will be back with more plays later.

NFL Pre-season wk. 1 Ha! Yeah. No problems! ;) Good start with Baltimore....hope to keep it going... 1-0 (+0.87) Minni -3.5 (2.00 @ Canbet) [EDIT: Sorry..was -3.5, not -3] Minni will be out for revenge after Arizona beat them in the last game last season to knock them out of the play-offs. Arizona have BIG injury concerns already, can't see the starters being in the game long, as they won't want to risk anyone else. Min have a MUCH better QB rotation, and also much better in the backfield. Should add up to a big Minni win. Jax +3 (Played earlier in week.) Miami have virtually nothing on offense with Boston and Williams gone. Fiedler and Feely have struggled in training camp. Jacksonville were ranked no. 1 v. the run last season and nothing has changed. Miami won't have the offensive threats to beat Jax deep. Very hard seeing Miami scoring a TD in this game. Jax have decent QB depth with Gerard and Johnson coming in after Leftwich. Miami 1-9-2 when favoured <3 in pre-season under Wannstedt. Oakland -1 Really like this game. Apparently Oak owners have instructed coaches to win, to turn around last seasons disappointment. Have to think Oak's QB rotation is MUCH better than Dorsey and Doman...Plus BIG injury worries for SF. Detroit -3 Det won 26-13 pre-season Wk.1 last season with pretty much the same QB's. Staley been added to Pits, but much more been added to the Det offense. Like Det to open it up and give some excitement to the home fans early (even if they can't sustain it for the season!). Cleveland @ Tenn UNDER 36.5 Cleveland O been decimated by injury already! Hard to see them scoring too much. I believe will be concentrating more on trying to establish their running game, should see a lot of time eaten away. 10-6 last pre-season wk.1. No reason to expect any more excitement this time around. Carolina +3.5 Washington looked poor on Monday. Not only did their offense struggle, Denver ran on them consistantly all game. 3 quality QB's, Davis and Foster, and a tough D. Too much for the 'Skins to handle. :ok

Guest hawksteel

Saturday August 14 picks Will probably go with your picks today, can't find anything wrong with them in looking a little deeper into it. I didn't get a chance to post my Friday pick, NE -3, figuring that Philly probably wasn't going to show much beyond the first team while NE is stacked with people who want to play in the cookie-cutter style they like, which is pretty much what happened. I thought about going with Dallas (Pick), but it is quite impossible to predict how their QBs will do. Vinny is Vinny, and Drew Hensen is showing very well (he doesn't seem to have the spiral down pat though). There could quite possibly be a lot of running - they'll want Jones to get going against a non-Dallas defense as much as they can. Houston is perfect for that. They'll also want to see what their passers can do, but won't risk them needlessly - except for maybe Romo. Will watch this game with interest.

Re: Saturday August 14 picks Also going with Dallas -3. Shame I didn't get onboard @ PK, but the 3 shouldn't matter too much. Houston coach has said they are not concerned about winning, they just want to evaluate some of the younger guys on the roster. All 3 Dallas QB's have been strong in camp, and their defense should definately be able to keep Houston in check...exp with their best RB not playing. Dallas won 34-6 Wk. 2 pre-season last year.

Guest hawksteel

Moving lines This is my first time in dealing with NFL exhibition games and was shocked at how much the lines moved overnight; I didn't expect them to shift 3-6 points as I saw from last night to this afternoon. Yikes. The Tampa Bay game is rescheduled to Monday night; Miami is set to go on schedule (Carolina is in Washington). Will put a wee bit into Dallas tonight as well. I think I'll stay away from Minnesota, -5 is a bit much now. Will be interesting to see Ben Rothlesberger in a Steelers uniform and how he does on the big field (he was one of the most impressive quarterbacks drafted out of the NCAA this year, from Miami of Ohio).

Re: Moving lines That's anpther reason I lke betting in Pre-season, hawksteel. The initial lines are generally VERY SOFT!! (I mean, look no further than Baltimore -3!!!)...and, most of the $$ comes from casual bettors on the day of the games. So, yeah, there will be some big moves, simply [generally] because the lines were so far off in the fisrt place. :ok Stupid play on Dallas...I didn't like it @ pk, but played at -3..madness!! :banghead Jax missed 2 FG's in the first half then had to pay catch-up...but every thing else went to plan nicely. 6-2 (+3.47) Nice hit on Tenn -3 too, fin :cheers Long season ahead!..hope we can keep it up.

Guest hawksteel

Re: Moving lines Dallas was horrific; watching the game was like trying to pry off my kneecap with a spoon. Very good win/loss (75%, woulda been higher if you didn't jump on our stupid Cowboys bandwagon), and Minnesota did what you expected them to. I think you have me convinced :)

Guest hawksteel

Re: Moving lines Favorites have been 11-4 so far; any opinions on tonight or stay away? Looks like the underdogs for tonight are being backed slightly (Seattle & Cincinnati), however.