England v West Indies - Day 5

I don't really understand why West Indies are available at 5/1 to beat England. Assuming West Indies add no more runs England will need 226 to win. No one has ever scored more than 145 to win in the 4th innings at Old Trafford, and it doesn't take a groundsman to work out why - the pitch (as usual) has deteriorated. With Bravo in form with the ball, Edwards bowling well at the moment and a left arm wrist spinner in the team they have the firepower to bowl England out. I have had a look at the weather forecast for Manchester tomorrow and it doesn't look like there will be any rain, which almost completely rules out the draw. I'll check the weather in the morning, but with no rain the bet for me will be either lay the draw, or back West Indies.

Guest hawksteel

Draws Am curious, what would result in a draw in this case? Am struggling to learn (and bet) on cricket in general and this has been somewhat confusing to me. I wouldn't mind backing the Windies at those odds (as I see them on bet365) - where apparently a "popular" bet is a Draw?)

Guest hawksteel

Weather for Monday Looks to be partly cloudy, no rain really. Was reading around a lot of folks seem to think (not betters mind you) that England can do so, should the gap even be up to 250, as they've done it before, just not there. The Windies have to consistently bowl as they've done through this Test. Looks like Thorpe will be out as well, not 100% sure on that. I'm really leaning to put a nice amount of money on the Windies and double it with a couple of others.

Guest hawksteel

Re: Weather for Monday As of current, looks like the Windies are being backed a bit, went from 6.0 to 4.5 already, while England has barely moved. Got in at 5.5.

Re: Sigh Not over yet, if they get one of these 2 out they could easily run through the rest. That's the way it goes with 5/1 shots though, they are 5/1 shots for a reason. The 7/2 this morning was much more realistic, but thats still less than 1 in 4 chance of winning.

.. Dave, you touched on the best bet right at the start.....lay the draw. Think you could still lay the draw this morning at less than 2/1 and with no real rain to speak of threatening, England had 100-odd overs to knock off 226. Even with Boycott batting they'd have done this. I'm slightly annoyed because I'd already put a fair amount down on England, but bottled laying the draw, just in case. The only way that England wouldn't have reached 231 would have been if WI had bowled them out. Bugger:banghead :b anghead

Guest WelshGarth

England v West Indies - Day 5 England this year are a different team than they have been since the 80's. The usual English team would have capitulated to almost anyone today after losing two early wickets, but this new team have a nerve far stronger than their predecessors. The Windies are certainly a shadow of their former self, pity to see them sink so low.