Staying Focused While Playing

deadlydaveLDN

Just wondering how people stay focused while playing a long session? What would be very good for me would be a programme that blocked the rest of the internet while I'm playing :lol But as I assume that doesn't exist, I've been trying to work out what conditions help me play my best game. So far, I've been experimenting with 2 things - music and lighting. I used to listen to talk radio (radio 5) a lot while playing poker, or would have poker shows on in the background. I feel like these were affecting my focus, a I would be concentrating too hard on what was actually being said. However, I couldn't sit in silence while I play, so I think listening to music that you are very familiar with is the best option. Requires minimal brain power to listen too, but stops me getting too bored. I've also been playing by candlelight recently, which has really helped me focus on the screen, rather than having bright lights shining all around. Sounds crazy, but helps I think. Any other tips?

Re: Staying Focused While Playing I normally have i-tunes turned on shuffle when I play, also I have a few chips in my hand:$nstead of holding the mouse all the time to stop me making to many rash decisions, drives the misses mad though with me constantly riffling chips all night:lol.

Re: Staying Focused While Playing I can only play cash with my headphones on listening to ipod or radio1/1xtra, when 8 tabling usually some upbeat music helps but in general don't mind a lot of chill out on, whatever gets me in the zone at that time helps a lot. :lol @ candlelight that's so random :eek FWIW scientifically they say bright light releases happy chemicals in the brain so playing in dark light i imagine will send the brain to sleep after a while, i know it does for me..

Re: Staying Focused While Playing In the early blind levels, 10/20 and 15/30 I will watch a few hands if there is a big raise but normally I just browse the internet or have spotify on. I know they say you should be analyzing opponents in these early stages but there is plenty of time for that and I often feel if I watch every single hand where there is no raise and there is a lot checking it can get boring and you can end up over-analyzing things and getting involved needlessly in pots when the blinds are meaningless. Once it gets to 25/50 I totally concentrate and even if I'm listening to music if I get dealt a big hand like QQ KK or AA I normally pause it to focus 100% on the hand.

Re: Staying Focused While Playing I have either radio with nonstop music or a nice cd, if I have telly it is films I already know like old Miss Marples or so, and :$ :$ :$ I am knitting or do embroidery, depends on how many tables, only one table embroidery, two tables knitting, and it really helps to stay concentrated as well keeps me away bit from silly moves