Olympics - Swimming

Guest mattsthebest

Guest mattsthebest

Very little value to be had tonight. Phelps should win his Medley final and the odds say it all @1.06! I may sound crazy but I did contemplate laying Phelps in his final tonight (Individual 200m medley). To me he looked tired in his last couple of swims, and there is no doubt that his huge work load will have taken its toll on his body. But that was before I found out that the semis of the 100m butterfly will be swum after his 200m medley final. So there will less effect of fatigue for the final. Peirsol is also favourite to take out the backstroke no problems, but again @ 1.06. I actually fancy him to break the WR in the final, as he swam .40secs off his WR swim back at the American trials in July. I'm also looking at the Women's 200m breaststroke final. I think Beard has looked in very good form, but Leisel Jones had the WR this year before Beard broke that time in the American trials. I do fancy that Leisel Jones has a good advantage being out in lane 7 and not being the favourite to win this. It seems that the expectation of being favourite haunts Jones, but in this final she is an outsider. The advantage of lane 7 is that Beard wont be able to see her. Also the times that have been swum so far are well off the WR, so if jones can focus for this event, then she has as good a chance as Beard. 5.50+ on Jones looks worth a shot.

Guest mattsthebest

Re: Olympics - Swimming Jones almost had Beard, only to be touched out on the wall. Oh well, if odds of 5.50 go that close every time, their bound to win sooner or later. I certainly wouldn't want to have been on Beard at odds around 1.35! Peirsol won his backstroke, but the result will be taken to the Sport's court of abirtration. His turn was technically illegal, and so he should lose his gold medal, a harsh decision, but rules are rules. Phelps showed no signs of fatigue in either of his events yesterday, and to prove me wrong he swam an Olympic record time in the 100m Butterfly final. For those who are interested in this event, the two favourites are Phelps and Crocker, the latter holding the WR. The news coming out of the American camp is that Crocker has been struggling with a throat infection, and that would explain his poor swimming in the pool so far. If Crocker was healthy you would back him against Phelps, but with Crocker maybe still recovering from a virus, there maybe a chance for Phelps in the Final. The difference between these 2 swimmers best times is about .40 secs. Also looking at Inge De Bruijn to win the 50m free. She looked in sensational form in the semi, and will be desparate to come away from the Olympics with a gold medal. Grant Hackett is @ 1.02! to win his 1500m event, an event that Australia has owned for a long time. But I haven't been impressed at all with Hackett at the Olympics so far. He came into the Olympics on the back of great form, but he has shown very little so far, and does seem to be struggling. He just swam 2nd in his heat, which is very unusual to see from the WR holder and defending champion. Hopefully some news comes out of the Australian camp regarding Hackett's thoughts and condition going into the final. Back with more later...

This thread has more posts. To see them, you'll need to sign up or sign in.