Golf: WGC Bridgestone Invitational - Firestone Country Club

All bets in here lads:ok Exceptional field this week as one would expect, and although players will be trying to finely tune their game before the final major of the year next week the PGA, the Bridgestone Inv is massive in it's own right, and bar the four majors and the so-called 5th major 'The Players', this is probably the biggest there is, and it also has the most Fed Ex points up for grabs. Nearly had my first bet posted already in laying Tiger @ the seemingly ridicoulous odds of 2.9, but looking at his record in this explains why. It is possibly the greatest record i have ever seen for one tournament, and is surely some kind of record?:unsure Tiger has played this tournament 9 times, although he missed out last year due to injury. He won it the first three years he played it, and he's won it the in the last three times he's played it:loon In the three years in-between he finished T2...4th and T2, which even though it's Tiger, i still find it truely staggering. I think i'll lay him another week.:)

Re: WGC Bridgestone Invitational - Firestone Country Club Well you're quick off the mark Broon, and I thought I was bad, Mid monday and our appetites for the betting are already there:ok I have some *touch wood* tasty picks and sleepers for both tournies this week, I'll get the previews up late tonight/early tomorrow. The prices are very appealing and I'll be taking them early before they drop like you wouldn't believe:cheers

Re: WGC Bridgestone Invitational - Firestone Country Club

Well you're quick off the mark Broon, and I thought I was bad, Mid monday and our appetites for the betting are already there:ok I have some *touch wood* tasty picks and sleepers for both tournies this week, I'll get the previews up late tonight/early tomorrow. The prices are very appealing and I'll be taking them early before they drop like you wouldn't believe:cheers
:) Nah still making notes on the buick mate and won't get a chance to have a proper look at the Bridgestone until much later. Things to do, like make my own dinner:cry:lol Just saw Wood's price on Betfair though and immiediately thought LAY the fcucker, as i thought it was way to short, and perhaps based somewhat on him winning the Buick. That was until i quickly checked his course form:lol Look forward to your picks mate, at least there shouldn't be too many Roland Thatcher's and the like, threatening the leaderboard this week:cheers

Re: WGC Bridgestone Invitational - Firestone Country Club Getting into this golf betting lark, will post up my fancy now before I forget. :loon Bridgestone Invitational - H.Mahan 35/1 Skybet (5 places, 1/4) Tiger goes into this as strong favourite after winning the Buick Open last week and won this tournament in '07 & '06 but I have taken Hunter Mahan to win a couple of times this year and although he has failed to do so he showed some good form around here last year, a T10 finish when finishing 5 under par. He didn't play well at the British Open but previously to that was in good form, 2nd in the AT&T National, T4 in the Travelers Championship and T6 in the US Open, as I said yet to win a tournament this year but I think he'll go well here.

Re: WGC Bridgestone Invitational - Firestone Country Club The cream will rise to the top at the WGC Bridgestone Invitational Firestone course The world's top golfers return in force for this weeks event - the massive WGC Bridgestone Invitational and the course is the perfect test the week before the year's final major. 80 players including most of the world's best will assemble at Firestone C.C to tee it up for the Bridgestone, knowing that they are about to be given a serious examination of their golf game. The Bridgestone Invitational at Firestone CC, playing at 7,400 yards long is 1 of the toughest courses the players will visit all year. Depending on the height of the rough, it can be almost unplayable. 2 years ago Woods was the only one to break par with players claiming that the rough was just unfair. Last year at the Bridgestone Invitational, it was a little fairer @ only 2" long but keeping the ball in play was still a MUST off the tee as the pin positions require hitting not only the fairways but the right part of the fairways. The greens roll faster than most on tour so it's pretty much an all round test of golf and the cream generally rise to the top. -0.75 pts E/W Luke Donald W/O Woods @ 40/1 (general) Hitting some serious form, fairly accurate off the tee, good form at Firestone and one of the best putters around. Will win soon. -0.75pts E/W Mahan W/O Woods @ 25/1(general) Top player starting to hit his best form of the season. Great driver and one of the most accurate with his irons and when the putter is hot, it's seriously hot. -0.75pts E/W Z. Johnson W/O Woods @ 45/1 (general) You want placement from the tee? Not many more reliable than Zack. Good record here and great putter on fast greens. Having the best season of his career so far. -0.75pts E/W Sean o' Hair W/O woods @ 50/1 (stanjames) One of the biggest young talents around missed the cut at the RBC and had last week off, hence the stupid price. Don't be surprised to see him contending on a course he likes. Sleepers: Huge odds outsiders to watch out for Appleby - Good record in WGC's off the back of a decent performance last time out Goggin - On my radar this year to grab a win @ a big price. He nearly had that at the British open. Was tired last time out and jet lagged but could be ready to go again. Allenby - Horses for courses and although he's quietened down the last few weeks, there noone with a game better suited to this course than him apart from maybe Woods. I don't see him challenging strongly for a win as he will miss some short putts over 4 rounds but 3/1 skybet for a top 20 finish is IMO a brilliant bet this week. He regularly features in the top 25 here btw.

Re: Golf: WGC Bridgestone Invitational - Firestone Country Club Just to add, and correct me if i'm wrong, but as with all wgc events and the field being about half of the normal amount, there is no halfway cut this week, and the full field of 80 will play all four rounds. Knowing this, at least any tourney matchbets i do, won't be fcucked after two days.:hope

Re: Golf: WGC Bridgestone Invitational - Firestone Country Club Tiger goes for his 7th title here in his 10th attempt and he has never finished further than 4th! He has to be taken seriously here even if the odds don't make it an enviable proposition to wait for 4 days for a payout. So 1st up pick based on his clear love of the place and for his win at last weeks Buick has to be: Outright Tiger Woods @2.63 Paddypower **** Vijay Singh @46.00 EW Paddypower *** Was in the same predicament last year when he came here being winless and eventually rolled out with his first victory of the season. He was the only player in the field of 80 to shoot four straight rounds in the 60s and posted a one-shot victory over Stuart Appleby and Lee Westwood. After going 28 weeks without a victory, Singh won three times in the span of five weeks twio times in the PGA Tour playoffs at the Barclay's and the Deutsche Bank Championship and he then went on to win the second FedEx Cup title. He finished with more than $6.5 million in earnings. He'll be one to watch over the coming weeks if he puts in a good showing here! Stewart Cink @46.00 EW Paddypower *** He's given himself a couple of weeks off to relax and take in his British Open triumph. Cink has done well here in the past winning this in 2004, runner up in 2006, 7th in 2000. If he has the confidence from his Open triumph coming here he could have a big weekend. Rory Sabatini @101.00 EW Paddypower ** Sabatini has had some decent form thisyear winning the Byrom Nelson, finishing runner up in The Zurich, 6th at The Northern Trust, 8th at The Verizon. He's also performed well here in the past finishing runner up here in 2004. Robert Allenby @101.00 EW Paddypower * Although he's not been in any type of real form this year - 5th at The Honda, 11th in The Arnold Palmer, 14th at The Players & 4th in The St Jude - he has performed well here in the past - runner up in 2002, finished 9th in 2004, 6th in 2003, 12th in 2000. He knows this place well and is a decent long shot for a possible place. I'll come back with my 1st round leader predictions and the 2 balls later in the week :ok

Re: Golf: WGC Bridgestone Invitational - Firestone Country Club There are some SERIOUS errors made in this competition by the odds compilers in the tournament match bets market. Stay tuned to my homepage for updates as I'll be adding matches periodically. Click my name to see my homepage. One is example is bet365 making Soren Hansen favourite against Davis LoveIII. Another is matching off Kenny Perry with Padraic Harraington @ 10/11. If Harraington's driving continues as it has been (and there's no evidence to suggest it wouldn't), he could find himself propping up the field on this course. I've heard the rough is going to be 4 inches deep. The greens are set to roll at 13 on the stimp.

Re: Golf: WGC Bridgestone Invitational - Firestone Country Club RE: Tiger. I think I ight be a little sneaky this week. Because of his record here, people will probably lump on to him and his odds will be ever dropping but not many people know about the tasty rough in store for them this week. Now, the weakest part of Tiger's game is by far his driving and if he's as erratic with the driver(remember this is also one of the longest courses on tour so he WILL use driver) as usual and finds himself in this rough too often, he won't win. Simple as that. I'll monitor his price on the exchanges and may very well be tempted to lay him. Also remember his putting still isn't back to his usual standard, hence the reason he missed the cut at the British.

Re: Golf: WGC Bridgestone Invitational - Firestone Country Club

There are some SERIOUS errors made in this competition by the odds compilers in the tournament match bets market. Stay tuned to my homepage for updates as I'll be adding matches periodically. Click my name to see my homepage. One is example is bet365 making Soren Hansen favourite against Davis LoveIII. Another is matching off Kenny Perry with Padraic Harraington @ 10/11. If Harraington's driving continues as it has been (and there's no evidence to suggest it wouldn't), he could find himself propping up the field on this course. I've heard the rough is going to be 4 inches deep. The greens are set to roll at 13 on the stimp.
Watch Harrington value, he's in transition at the moment. He had a recent outing in a one to one against Mc Ilroy at the new Lough Erne country club. Mc Ilroy was canning him, but Harrington closed the gap with 5 birdies on the way in. I know ot doesn't mean a lot as far as tournament golf goes, but this guy is talented and there's a big price waiting when his new swing kicks in. Just advising caution. Good Luck.

Re: Golf: WGC Bridgestone Invitational - Firestone Country Club Oh no doubt about it, being from Dublin myself I know all about it but I just don't think his swing has recovered enough yet to tackle this course. I'm a big fan of his so I hope I'm wrong and he gets some good form and confidence before his USPGA defence. An actual quote from himself this week about the Firestone C.C was@ "There's no hole out there that you can ease up on. You must hit the ball straight off the tee is the first priority. You've got to putt well on the course" - Padraig Harrington

Re: Golf: WGC Bridgestone Invitational - Firestone Country Club Seriously thinking of laying tiger, but i'll get on to that tomorrow. Here are my 72 hole matchbet picks of which i'l post some reasoning in a few hours, as i cant posibbly stare at this screen any longer, and i need a couple of hours kip. Villegas to bt Love @ 4/5 B365 (nt) Sterne to bt Jaidee @ 13/10 sj Garcia to bt Harrington @ evs sj Els to bt Mikelson @ 8/5 Skybet Donald to bt Jiminez @ 5/6 sj Toms to bt Glover @ 5/6 Bet 365 (nt) Mcilroy to bt McDowell @ 10/11 Hills Cink to bt Westwood @ 6/5 Hills

Re: Golf: WGC Bridgestone Invitational - Firestone Country Club

Villegas to bt Love @ 4/5 B365 (nt) many may think, going againt Love is rather strange with the exceptional record he has in this event, but that won't go on for ever and i really like the way the Colombian has played recently. I fancy the course to suit the dubutant, and if he can keep it fairly straight of the tee, then he will definately have a good week imo. I fancy him to do just that and hopefully draw with Love at worst. Sterne to bt Jaidee @ 13/10 sj Richard Sterne is a player iv'e mentioned a fair bit, and this is a great price in what is another fair matchup by the bookies. Sterne made his debut in this last year finishing 51st, so he'll know more about the place this time around. With four very good weeks of form behind him, I fancy him to easily improve on on that debut finish this week, and hopefully take care of Jaidee, who's average finish record is 45.3 in three attempts, which is.......... well, average. Garcia to bt Harrington @ evs sj Well unless Harrington has sorted out his army golf then Garcia will win this.Even if he has sorted it, Garcia can still win this, and i actually fancy him to have a really good week with the putter perhaps, stopping him from troubling top 5 or 6. Garcia's form has also been really solid of late, and i fancy the spaniard big time in this matchup. Els to bt Mikelson @ 8/5 Skybet As you would imagine both have pretty similar records in this event, with els just coming out on top. Mickelson is not particually game fit, and obviously has other concerns. thats not to say someone of his class won't be focused or play well this week, but in the four years previous to his T4 last year, he couldn't make it any where near the top 40. Els on the other hand, has shown me he can now be backed again, after two excellent weeks in Scotland culminating with a T8 at the open, and if he can take that form into this week, i honestly fancy him to beat Mick at 8/5. Donald to bt Jiminez @ 5/6 sj Iv'e watched Donald closely recently, and i honestly believe he is now slowly getting back to his best and i really fancy him to play well this week at a tournament/course he loves. Jiminez's couse form isn;t nearly as good, bar a T10 last time is very average, and with the veteran spaniard never seemingly having a break, it will catch up on him sooner rather than later, and hopefully for me round the monster Firestone this week. I fancy Donald Strongly in this matchup. Toms to bt Glover @ 5/6 Bet 365 (nt) Both have missed the last two cuts. Glover has only played here twice with a T4 and a T63, but i think, things may just bee starting to catch up with the shock US open champion, and i much prefer Toms to bounce back from that and continue his great season.I also like the run of three consecutive T10s from 2004 to 2006, so with him back playing as well as he was back then, we know he can do well at this tourament, and i fancy him over Glover this week Mcilroy to bt McDowell @ 10/11 Hills Mcdowell Hasn't made the top 50 in two attemps here, and he withdrew from another, so with that in mind, and a cracking price for Mcilroy, It's an easy pick for me on the young superstar, on a course i think he will get on well with. Cink to bt Westwood @ 6/5 Hills
Both players have some great results in this event with Westwood coming second last year, and cink winning it three years ago. I would doubt what happened at the open will affect Westwood in any way in this tournament and it would probably be silly of me to say that Westwood will already have one eye on next week. But i just think there may well be more motivation from him next week, as he tries to win that first elusive major, and with Cink coming in here feeling on top of the world after winning his first major at Turnberry i think he'll take the confidence into this tournament and finish in the TOP 20 at the very least. Cink also has a better ave finish in this tournament by 7 shots, and at 6/5 i'm more than happy to be on Cink here

Re: Golf: WGC Bridgestone Invitational - Firestone Country Club Just the one top twenty for me this week. Z.Johnson Top20 finish @ 6/4 Skybet Having a great year(his best ever) sitting 4th in the Fed ex standings, im also more than happy with johsons course/recent form. Been in the top20 in the last two years and three out of five in total in this tournament. Bar one very poor round at the open, his recent form has been very good including a 2nd, and if he can continue where he left off after a break, then one of the words best players has a great chance to make the top 20 here at least, and at odds of 6/4, i'm more than happy to be on.

Re: Golf: WGC Bridgestone Invitational - Firestone Country Club Woods is absolutely unbelievable. He is playing woeful. As I mentioned, he is all over the shop off the tee which is as predicted leaving him scrambling for every hole but I've never seen anyone like him with the putter. He is unreal. 15 foot putt for par, no probs, up and down from the shortside and buried in the greenside rough, no probs, just have afull swing pop it up in the air to 5 feet and tap it in with 1 hand!!

Re: Golf: WGC Bridgestone Invitational - Firestone Country Club Value Punter Absolutely spot on mate, although from what i seen, he wasn't scrambling when hitting the old 3 wood;) Only caught a wee bit of it tbh. Anyway so so many reasons why Tiger is the best, and will most likely to go on, and be the greatest of all time ........sorry Jack:sad As you say, Tiger can have a really poor day, and more often than not still scramble scores that are some of the best of the day, while other who have performed much better sit behind. Putting?? Ive never seen one like him that can consistently do it at the top level. The actions never changed and the line and pace he gets with his putts is amazing in that even from 30 to 40 feet, if his putt just missed and grazed it would nearly always finish a foot or so behind the hole which is the pretty much the perfect weight to give the ball every chance to drop. Phenomenal to watch especialy on links greens with so many undulations/hidden breaks etc. Have to disagree with you on one thing mate, that Tiger missed the cut at the open because of his putting??? :) Anyway i absolutely love this tournament, including format, and i'm hoping to catch as much as possible over the last two days with a bit of trading thrown in:D Great to see Paddy back on top of a leaderdoard, but i hope he calms down a bit to let El nino in, but deap down i honestly hope Paddy puts in another three solid/good rounds to give him all the confidence, going into next week trying to retain his PGA title. Some really good starts by 5 of the English boys too, and i will be supporting them all the way, as well as the rest of the Irish boys of course.

Re: Golf: WGC Bridgestone Invitational - Firestone Country Club Talking of trading, I thought I was going to get a chance to totally cover myself (and more) for both competitions after only the first round yesterday with Jonathan Byrd! He was -6 at Reno Tahoe (2 shots ahead of the field and most of the -4's were finished) after 13 holes and looking like he'd go on to open up a 4 or 5 shot lead at the top, but no, he finished with 3 bogeys instead, golf ey?!:lol Although in saying that, the leaderboard is swarmed by my picks(Pampling,Taylor,Byrd Barcelo and Rollins and Wilson are right in it too) although it's only 18 holes down. Will definitely be watching the exchanges this week though as I have an awful lot invested:hope

Re: Golf: WGC Bridgestone Invitational - Firestone Country Club So Paddy Harrington is 3 clear of Tiger going into the final round! The bookies make this a 2 horse race and I have no qualms about that: Harrington 4/5 & Woods 5/4 Paddypower odds. It's a monumental ask of Tiger now and looking back to when these 2 have squared up against each other going into the final round Tiger blew a 3 stroke lead with 6 holes to play at The Dunlop Phoenix in 2006 and was pipped at the post in a play off by Harrington! The fact here is I cannot see Tiger pulling this back and at the odds of nearly double your stake on Harrington is too good to miss!!! Prediction Outright: Harrington @1.91 William Hill **** On the places William Hill are going 3 places 1/5 odds with 40/1 next best price away from the 2 leaders! I'm going to have a shot at: Lucas Glover @67.00 Each Way William Hill ** In the hope he can cement a decent 3rd placing here after his win in the US Open. He had a decent 68 yesterday and previous 2 that 2 rounds of 69. He's a decent shout here each way getting just over 13/1 to finish 3rd! :ok

Re: Golf: WGC Bridgestone Invitational - Firestone Country Club T.Clark v P.Perez - T.Clark @ 2.05 Paddy Power T.Clark has played the better golf this week, apart from a poor back 9 yesterday where he has triple bogey he has not done much wrong, Perez played some nice golf yesterday with no bogeys and four birdies but if the South African plays like he did as the first 45 holes I think he'll be fine in this match-up.

Re: Golf: WGC Bridgestone Invitational - Firestone Country Club Winner - Padraig Harrington @ 2.04 Betfair I think this is an alright price, he has a three shot lead going into the final round and its only because its Tiger three strokes behind that he is this price, after that we have Kelly 5 behind, Tiger will need to have his top game to comeback here and the way Harrington has been playing this week its hard to see him losing from here.

Re: Golf: WGC Bridgestone Invitational - Firestone Country Club Final Round 2 balls: Chad Campbell to beat Prayad Marksaeng @1.73 Paddypower **** Campbell has been steady over his 3 rounds whilst Marksaeng has progressively got worse after recording an opening 66 he then proceeded to post a 70 and yesterday a 72. Pat Perez to beat Tim Clark @2.10 William Hill *** After being right in there before yesterdays round Clark rather capitulated! He's also got progressively worse posting a 1st round 66 then a 68 and yesterdays 73. Perez on the other hand has been steady and scored a very good 66 yesterday. (Sorry Spooner I'm against you here!) Oliver Wilson to beat Mike Weir @2.20 Paddypower *** Mike Weir is a golfer who always does his best when he is out in front and I can neverrecalla time when he has had a strong finish to a tournament recently. Wilson is the oposite in that he never is at the head of affairs in these tournaments but when it comes to the final round he always finishes strongly! :ok

Re: Golf: WGC Bridgestone Invitational - Firestone Country Club One two ball for tonight. Really looking forward to the Harrington vs Woods battle. It could be a throw back to the Woods vs May USPGA final round a few years back. 3pts M.Jimenez to beat J.Kelly 11/10 Stan James Match tees off at 18.50 BST. The bookmakers have this as a close match up in terms of the odds and of course it could well be on the course too but I like Jimenez in it. Neither have got what you would call good records in this event but the Spaniard was T10 last year which would suggest he's familiar with the course now and that showed in his 66 yesterday. Jerry Kelly has had a decent week but he struggled a bit in the last 9 holes yesterday whereas Jimenez was pretty strong all the way round apart from a blip on 17. Accurate driving is the key around here and Jimenez has the edge on the two in that area. He's generally been nearer the pin as well and I think he'll get more birdie chances in this round. Kelly's only had one really good round this week and I think Jimenez will outscore him in this one.

Re: Golf: WGC Bridgestone Invitational - Firestone Country Club Awesome. awesome, awesome! what more can you say about Tiger? Come on Allenby & Cink get into that top 5! :hope Chad Campbell & Pat Perez obliges in the 2 balls for me :ok Just waiting on Tiger / Cink & Allenby now for a fecking monumental payout :nana

Re: Golf: WGC Bridgestone Invitational - Firestone Country Club Should be in for a cracking finish here. Come on Padraig :hope Looks like my bet on mahan will come in e/w @ 35/1 so pleased with that, clark lost his 2 ball after another poor round, perez shot a 2 over round aswell.