Racing Post weights help?

I am unsure how the weight rating work in the racing post website and would like a little help on this as im really confused. OK there is the RP "OR" which is supposed the be the weight rating I believe but am not sure. There is also the weight of the horse in stone and lbs. What does each represent and which one am I supposed to use? Sometime I see that the weight in stone and lbs has gone up or down from the previous race but the OR is the same. This is really confusing to a betting newby so would really appreciate some clarification.

Re: Racing Post weights help? Hi, The OR is the Official Handicap rating. If you look at the conditions of the race (put a tick in the box) it'll tell you what the top weight should carry and the ratings band. Then work down the handicap (noting weight for age). For example. 4.00 Ayr for horses rated 61-80 1. Argentine (OR 80) 9-12 (race conditions state highest weight of 9-12) 2. Tyfos (OR 77) gets 3lbs less at 9-09 3. Dash Back (OR 76) gets 4lbs less at 9-08, etc So the weight to carry will go up or down based on the level of the top rated horse. K.

This thread has more posts. To see them, you'll need to sign up or sign in.