Darts: World Matchplay 2009

My favourite tournament of the year begins on Sunday. Outright odds are here: http://odds-comparison.bestbetting.com/darts/pdc-world-matchplay/2009/winner/ There's some cracking matches in the 1st round to look forward to. Match prices:

Sunday 19 July 2009Player 1 Player 2BPP
maximize.gifLewis, A v Stompé, C (19:00 BST) 1.62 2.5 101.73 %
maximize.gifLloyd, C v Jones, W (20:00 BST) 1.83 2.2 100.00 %
maximize.gifKing, M v Dudbridge, M (21:00 BST) 1.36 3.65 100.73 %
Monday 20 July 2009Player 1 Player 2BPP
maximize.gifPainter, K v Newton, W (19:00 BST) 1.53 2.84 100.57 %
maximize.gifOsborne, C v Beaton, S (20:00 BST) 1.36 3.75 100.00 %
maximize.gifTaylor, P v Thornton, R (21:00 BST) 1.1 9 102.02 %
maximize.gifMardle, W v Eccles, T (22:00 BST) 1.86 2.16 100.06 %
Tuesday 21 July 2009Player 1 Player 2BPP
maximize.gifHamilton, A v Anderson, G (19:00 BST) 2.75 1.57 100.00 %
maximize.gifPart, J v van der Voort, V (20:00 BST) 1.83 2.2 100.10 %
maximize.gifWade, J v Caven, J (21:00 BST) 1.25 4.5 102.22 %
maximize.gifBaxter, R v Klaasen, J (22:00 BST) 1.93 2 101.81 %
Wednesday 22 July 2009Player 1 Player 2BPP
maximize.gifTabern, A v Smith, A (13:00 BST) 1.5 2.75 103.03 %
maximize.gifJenkins, T v Wright, P (14:00 BST) 1.28 3.75 104.44 %
maximize.gifPriestley, D v Ovens, D (15:00 BST) 1.72 2.37 100.00 %
maximize.gifWalsh, M v Jenkins, A (16:00 BST) 1.36 3.75 100.00 %
maximize.gifvan Barneveld, R v Van Gerwen, M (19:00 BST) 1.21 6 99.31 %

Re: Darts: World Matchplay 2009 Odds for the quarters with best prices quoted: To win 1st quarter ~ Phil Taylor 1/4 VCBet Adrian Lewis 11/1 Stan James Kevin Painter 18/1 Stan James/Paddy Power Co Stompe 22/1 Stan James Robert Thornton 25/1 Paddy Power Colin Lloyd 28/1 Sky Bet Wayne Jones 50/1 Ladbrokes Wes Newton 66/1 Ladbrokes To win 2nd quarter ~ Mervyn King 13/5 Sky Bet Colin Osborne 3/1 Ladbrokes John Part 9/2 VCBet Vincent van der Voort 8/1 William Hill/Ladbrokes/VCBet Wayne Mardle 9/1 Betfred/Ladbrokes/Paddy Power Tony Eccles 16/1 sportingbet Mark Dudbridge 20/1 sportingbet Steve Beaton 40/1 sportingbet To win 3rd quarter ~ James Wade 15/8 Sky Bet Gary Anderson 11/4 VCBet Alan Tabern 9/1 Coral/William Hill/Ladbrokes Ronnie Baxter 9/1 various Jelle Klaasen 10/1 William Hill Andy Hamilton 12/1 Sky Bet Jamie Caven 22/1 Sky Bet Andy Smith 33/1 sportingbet To win 4th quarter ~ Raymond van Barneveld 11/8 Sky Bet Terry Jenkins 4/1 VCBet Mark Walsh 5/1 Ladbrokes Dennis Priestley 18/1 sportingbet Denis Ovens 25/1 William Hill Michael van Gerwen 25/1 Boylesports Andy Jenkins 33/1 sportingbet Peter Wright 50/1 Paddy Power

Re: Darts: World Matchplay 2009 Just the one outright for me in this. 1pt ew T.Jenkins to win World Matchplay 40/1 Stan James Terry Jenkins hasn't had the best 12 months or so but he showed signs in Las Vegas that he could be coming back into some sort of form. He made the quarter finals there very comfortably before being edged out by John Part in the last 8. He's gone well here before making the final 2 years ago when he lost to James Wade. His draw here is ok with the main seed in his quarter being Barneveld who has a terrible record in this event for someone with his quality. He's never got on well with this Blackpool stage. Jenkins can be hard to beat when he plays well. He's beaten Taylor on this stage in the past and at 40/1 I'll take a chance on the Bull this week.

Re: Darts: World Matchplay 2009 And just the one match bet tonight. 3pts C.Lloyd to beat W.Jones 5/6 Stan James It's pretty well known that I'm not Colin Lloyd's biggest fan but he is a past winner here which counts for something. I'm not really Wayne Jones' biggest fan. He's a solid player but I don't like his style, it's too jerky which can lead to inconsistency. Lloyd's results on the floor haven't been too bad all year and there were signs in Vegas that the TV stage might not be the enemy it's been in the last 2-3 years. Lloyd made the final in Dinslaken last month where he beat Wayne Jones 6-1 in the semi final. That's a decent enough form guide for me to take Jaws in this one.

Re: Darts: World Matchplay 2009 I'm not complaining either. Nice to get the 1st bet in. 3 for tonight. 3pts K.Painter (-2.5 legs) to beat W.Newton Evs Stan James Kevin Painter looked in decent nick in Vegas but was just edged out by Mervyn King. He showed enough in his game against Darin Young that he's in pretty decent form. That came so soon after the UK Open where he made the semi finals so his recent form is good. Wes Newton is a capable player but he's very much in danger of being a one venue pony with all his best results coming in Vegas. Painter will score too heavily for Newton here for me and assuming he doesn't have a complete shocker on his doubles I think he'll win this no worse than 10-7. 3pts P.Taylor vs R.Thornton - Over 8.5 180's 10/11 Boylesports Phil Taylor has been in excellent form in 2009 averaging as high as 115 on more than one occasion. People don't see him as a 180 person because he throws at 19's a lot but despite that he still throws plenty of maximums. Robert Thornton is no slouch when it comes to 180's either. He can probably pin the 180's better than Taylor does which shows how good he is around the 60 bed. Although I see Taylor winning this match, if the Scot starts well he can keep this close and ensure that there's enough legs to produce the required 9 180's. 3pts T.Eccles to beat W.Mardle 11/10 Boylesports This looks like being a really close match but I think the Viper could be a spot of value in it. Mardle's probably the better player when he's on form but he hasn't produced much of any note on TV for an awful long time and his 1st round defeat to Gary Anderson at Vegas won't have done his confidence much good. Eccles never qualified for the Desert Classic but he's shown enough in tournaments since he's come to the PDC that he can compete at this level. When a match is likely to be close it will often come down to finishing and like last night when I backed Lloyd to beat Jones, I think Eccles is probably more realiable on the outside ring and so I'll take the Hartlepool player to win this one at odds against in a match which could well go beyond the scheduled 19 legs.

Re: Darts: World Matchplay 2009 Kinda glad I stayed away from this as although Painter steamrollered past Newton 10-3, Osborne faltered against Beaton losing 7-10. No surprise to one or two over at Superstars of Darts who had stated that Beaton was performing well in the smaller events in the past few weeks so it wouldn't be that much of a surprise if Steve won (\surprise to the like of me though!). The oldies are reeling back the years this week! Tiny interest on Phil Taylor to get the first 180 ahead (8/11 over at Stan James) of Robert Thornton but who knows what mood Phil Taylor's in!? :\

Re: Darts: World Matchplay 2009 3pts J.Part v V.Van Der Voort Total 180's over 7.5 11/10 Blue Square Looks a fair to bet me, I'm Reckoning this will be a very close game contested over at least 17 legs between 2 players with contrasting styles but who know where the lipstick is.

Re: Darts: World Matchplay 2009 Must admit had a go at the total 180`s in the Taylor match last night , and nearly choked when i saw how bad both players throwing , might have a go at 180`s again with Baxter and Klassen for the same reasons as those above , and it makes for a more interesting match . i would love to give you a huge write up , but i`m not an expert on darts , only enjoy watching it tbh, :eek Toatal 180`s over 6.5 Ronnie Baxter v Jelle Klaasen 5/6 with william hill

Re: Darts: World Matchplay 2009 3 for me tonight. I think we're all wanting to see plenty of 180's :lol. Good luck guys. 4pts G.Anderson vs A.Hamilton - Over 9.5 180's 6/5 Skybet This match sees 2 serial 180 hitters collide in what looks to be the tie of the 1st round. When he's flowing Gary Anderson hits 180's as if he's throwing at a barn door. Andy Hamilton is no slouch either and hits more than his fair share. Both have shown they are in ok nick in recent tournaments and in a game I expect to be close enough I'm pretty confident we'll see at least 10 180's here with both players more than capable of hitting 5 each. 3pts J.Wade vs J.Caven - Over 7.5 180's 11/10 Blue Square This line is pretty low for 2 heavy scorers. Maybe it's because bookmakers don't know a lot about Jamie Caven but he's a very heavy scorer as he showed in the Desert Classic when he outscored Taylor at times. Wade too can be a heavy scorer, especially when he's on form and although we can't expect to see vintage Wade tonight I do think we'll see a few 180's from him. Caven will keep his end of the deal up and in a match which I can see going 10-6 or closer I like this line at odds against. 4pts R.Baxter vs J.Klaasen - Over 16.5 legs 8/11 Skybet These two are both in good touch. Ronnie Baxter has been on fire for a long time. He made the semi in the UK Open, losing fairly narrowly to Taylor and then won a players championship event in Vegas. Klaasen played well in the Desert Classic beating Baxter 6-2 before succumbing to John Part 8-7. This will be a rat-a-tat game with 2 of the quickest players of the game in operation. Styles make matches and that should ensure this one is a good one. Baxter has been known to start slowly which could explain his 6-2 defeat in Vegas but with more legs tonight I expect it to be a lot closer and fancy this one ending at least 10-7 either way.

Re: Darts: World Matchplay 2009 Baxter saved an awful night for me last night. -4.59 for the competition now. 3 so far today. 3pts A.Smith to beat A.Tabern 15/8 Boylesports This should be a fairly close match between two solid players. Andy Smith probably hasn't done it on TV too much in his career but he's a decent enough player, a point which was emphasised when he won a players championship tournament in Dinslaken last month. Alan Tabern has been very solid on TV with a stack of quarter final and semi final appearances but his last few months haven't been brilliant and he looked pretty ordinary at the Desert Classic earlier this month. Andy Smith is the outsider in this match but not an almost 2/1 shot and so I'll back the Pieman to cause a bit of an upset in this match. 4pts D.Priestley to beat D.Ovens 4/6 Boylesports Dennis Priestley can't be the force he once was but he's still more than a match for most of the players on the circuit. Denis Ovens has always had a reputation for not being able to produce his best on the TV and he hasn't really produced a lot in the other tournaments either recently. Priestley will probably prefer to play in the afternoons at the minute. He's still in good touch as he showed when he beat Colin Monk at the Desert Classic and I'll take the Menace to win this one against his camera shy opponent. 6pts A.Lewis (-2.5 legs) to beat C.Lloyd 5/6 Boylesports I backed Colin Lloyd in the 1st round against Wayne Jones but I have no intention of backing him again tonight. He was pretty ordinary in truth. Adrian Lewis was a lot more impressive, riding a bit of an early storm against Co Stompe before running out a pretty convincing winner. Colin Lloyd just isn't the same player on the stage as he was in 2005 when he won this tournament and if he doesn't show up with his best darts tonight he could get steamrollered. Adrian Lewis isn't the most consistent player you'll find but he's very good as a frontrunner and if he gets a break in front early doors I don't see Lloyd clinging on. Lewis' scoring power should be way too much for Jaws so it's a confident bet on Jackpot winning this no worse than 13-10.

Re: Darts: World Matchplay 2009 This tournament is beginning to get on my nerves now. Priestley was shocking on his doubles which is fair enough. Smith was going well then walked into 4 ton plus finishes from Tabern in 5 legs. I'm going with one more tonight. 3pts K.Painter vs P.Taylor - Over 19.5 legs Evs Stan James I think this will be an excellent match. I suspected Taylor wasn't on the top of his game the other night and although he's won the UK Open and Desert Classic recently there has been chinks in his armour in both those tournaments. Baxter came from a mile back to trouble him in Bolton and then there was Jamie Caven who stayed with him in Vegas. I think Painter can go with him tonight as well. As I said in his 1st match, Painter is playing some top notch darts at the minute and if he throws 1st then Taylor would have to break the throw 4 unanswered times to beat Painter better than 13-7. I'm not so sure that will happen. The key to the game in terms of this bet and indeed Painter winning is how he hits his doubles. I'm happy enough with this bet because I think Painter is scoring well enough to pinch a leg or two on Taylor's throw and if he can kill his doubles with anything like a 50% rate then Painter can go very close. 13-7 either way sees this bet in and I'd probably go with 13-9 Taylor if I was correct scoring this game so at even money I'll go for there being at least 20 legs in a match which could be as good as their world final.

Re: Darts: World Matchplay 2009

Thursday 23 July 2009Player 1 Player 2BPP
maximize.gifKing, M v Beaton, S (13:00 BST) 1.29 4.33 100.60 %
maximize.gifvan der Voort, V v Mardle, W (14:00 BST) 2.02 1.87 102.98 %
maximize.gifJenkins, T v Ovens, D (15:00 BST) 1.26 5.5 97.55 %
maximize.gifBaxter, R v Tabern, A (19:00 BST) 2 2 100.00 %
maximize.gifvan Barneveld, R v Walsh, M (21:00 BST) 1.2 4 108.33 %
maximize.gifWade, J v Anderson, G (21:00 BST) 1.83 2.06 103.09 %
Going with 2 initially but there's 2 others I'm considering. One hasn't been priced up by everyone yet, the other I'm toying over. 4pts R.Baxter to beat A.Tabern Evs Totesport I thought Ronnie Baxter played really well against Jelle Klaasen in what was an entertaining game. He was out averaged by Alan Tabern in the 1st round but a lot of that was down to Tabern's ton plus checkouts of which he produced 4. He scored well to be fair to him but I refuse to believe he'll be pinning the checkouts like that again. Baxter's recent form has been much the better and he has a decent record in Blackpool having made the final here in the past. This looks like it could be a close one but I just fancy Baxter to edge it at Totesport's standout Evens. 3pts J.Wade vs G.Anderson - Over 22.5 legs 10/11 Blue Square This match really should be a belter. Both are excellent players and in my opinion 2 of the top 4 players in the world. I've a sneaky feeling that Anderson will win this match but I don't see there being much in it. In fact, it could easily go beyond the scheduled 25 legs. Both are very heavy scorers and while Wade is better than Anderson on the doubles, if the 1st few go in for the Scot he's as good as anyone in that area. As I say there isn't a lot between these two as proved by their epic last 16 match at the Grand Slam which yielded 15 180's, a 9 dart finish and no less than 5 ton plus finishes. Anderson won that 10-8 and I can see him winning this by 2 as well. Either way, 13-10 is only one break of throw for the winner and I can't see this one being settled by 2 breaks so I'll take the overs here.

Re: Darts: World Matchplay 2009 Hello all I too thought Jenkins was a good price he was available at 65/1 on Betfair before yesterdays first round win but now down to 30's and am not prepared to take that now. I have gone for a small punt on Mardle at 150/1 on Betfair he has a good draw ie his quarter has already seen Osbourne + Part get knocked out, will need a bit of good fortune and him to play well and beat Vincent Van Der Voot but I think they are evenly matched and with Mardles new layed back attitude I think he can give him a real ood game should be a cracker, if he wins today would think his odds would be nearer 33's with a view of laying some of it off then.

Re: Darts: World Matchplay 2009 Good luck Joseph. I'm not much of an outright backer then layer so would Mardle's odds come in much given he's on course for Taylor in the semi finals? 1 more for me today 4pts T.Jenkins (-3.5 legs) to beat D.Ovens 8/11 Stan James Terry Jenkins looked in pretty good touch in the 1st round. He came belting out of the blocks with 5 180's in as many legs and checked out pretty well throughout the match. That sort of scoring power will be way too much for Denis Ovens who was fortunate Dennis Priestley had a shocker on his doubles in their 1st round match. Ovens doesn't get past this stage too often and I don't see him going any further here. In fact I can't even see him making double figures. It's a comfortable win for The Bull here for me.

Re: Darts: World Matchplay 2009 Another frustrating day yesterday with Jenkins being so clear then stumbling over the line. One for today. 3pts M.King (-3.5 legs) to beat V.van der Voort 5/6 Bet365 I'm not a huge Mervyn King fan but I like him in this match up. He's the more consistent of the two, especially on his doubles and that could be the deciding factor here. Yesterday against Steve Beaton he blasted out of the blocks and was averaging 107 at one point in the match which is good enough to beat anyone with the possible exception of Taylor. It's hard to put van der Voort's win into context yesterday because Mardle barely showed up. To be fair to the Dutchie he did a decent job on John Part in the 1st round but King's played solid arrers all year and I don't think it's a task beyond him to win 16-12 or better in this one.

Re: Darts: World Matchplay 2009 Much better day for me today with King covering the handicap with ease and Jenkins turning Barney over. I didn't think the day could get any better but it did when Baxter sent Wade packing so I'm on Jenkins at 20/1 tomorrow when he's a best price 8/11. :hope.

Hi Kev bit annoyed with myself did not back Jenkins as I too fancied him and at 65/1 on Betfair was a huge price - if I was you would think of hedging the Jenkins bet to ensure a profit, but its your call. Good luck mate - Joe
Was at the cricket yesterday and never saw your post mate. I was pretty confident Jenkins would beat Baxter so I left it. Had I not been on Jenkins outright I'd have backed him yesterday anyway. Got the e/w payout in the bag but has as been the case all season with me my bet is up against Taylor in the final. I can't see Taylor playing like he did against Thornton either so it looks like being just the place money but that's still 20/1 I'm happy enough with that.

Just the one outright for me in this. 1pt ew T.Jenkins to win World Matchplay 40/1 Stan James Terry Jenkins hasn't had the best 12 months or so but he showed signs in Las Vegas that he could be coming back into some sort of form. He made the quarter finals there very comfortably before being edged out by John Part in the last 8. He's gone well here before making the final 2 years ago when he lost to James Wade. His draw here is ok with the main seed in his quarter being Barneveld who has a terrible record in this event for someone with his quality. He's never got on well with this Blackpool stage. Jenkins can be hard to beat when he plays well. He's beaten Taylor on this stage in the past and at 40/1 I'll take a chance on the Bull this week.
Excellent shout there kev.:clap:clap

Re: Darts: World Matchplay 2009 Jenkins lost the final so I ended +8.91 for the week. I shouldn't complain too much about losing to Taylor because the odds on a place are the same odds the person would be to win a tournament without Taylor in it (if not a little higher) and of course Taylor being in the tournament takes out half the field if he wins it. 3/4 runners up picks for me in the last 4 ranking TV tournaments and at decent prices too so I'm happy enough with that.