Golf: The Open Championship

Re: Golf: The Open Championship

Would love to see Fisher win it now, he and Westwood looked the most composed and consistant out there of the chasers to old Tom, yeah it would be a nice story if Watson could hang on but I reckon this Fisher is going places, seems to have a great temperament too! Looks a classic last day whatever happens, good luck with your bets guys!
was with a guy on weds who was with Fisher at Wentworth at the academy, he suggested to back him as he is playing the best golf of his career, looks a shoe in for the Ryder Cup btw, i didnt back him!!:$

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

btw' date=' i didnt back him!!:$[/quote'] Could this be the mistake of the year? :cry:rollin Interesting day ahead tomorrow as I think the rain is due later in the day. Windy again tomorrow also, so -5 or -6 might be good enough to win it.

Re: Golf: The Open Championship Going to take one going into the final day Open winner - Stewart Cink @ 17/1 Skybet (E-W 4 places, 1/5) Stewart Cink has played some good solid golf this week, he shot a round of 66 on round 1, has since shot a 72 and a 71 so is currently at 1 under but he proved on day 1 that he is capable of playing well on this course, does not have the best of records in this tournament but he was joint 6th in 2007. been around for a while so has the experience and he has gave himself a chance going into the final round.

Re: Golf: The Open Championship Cink @ 10/11 to win 2ball Ste Cink has played well this week he plays with bryce molder this afternoon who shot an amazing 67 yesterday but head to head today I expect Cink to really challenge for top 5 this afternoon. Cink on average is 20 yards longer than Molder and has hit 26 of 42 fairways so far as to Bryce's 23/42. Cink can hold his nerve going through sundays play and I expect him to win this 2ball. Furyk @ 11/10 to win 2ball This on paper could be a very close 2ball perhaps the tie at 8/1 is a little overpriced but I just have doubt over Goosen at the moment. The last few weeks on the euro tour he's been right in there going into the final day but has blown up on more than one occasion now, playing with a solid Jim Furyk who is proberly the one guy who is in the top 10 that is super solid touch wood. He doesn't give much away and is hitting the fairways all day long 30/42 so far. He's boring to watch but should give another solid round and if he does could well be the one to be on for the outright too.

Re: Golf: The Open Championship Not sure why Fisher is trading at 5.1 and Watson a shot ahead at 8.6 Anyway it looks too short in a crowded field where the other players are proven winners so I've decided to lay him.

Not sure why Fisher is trading at 5.1 and Watson a shot ahead at 8.6 Anyway it looks too short in a crowded field where the other players are proven winners so I've decided to lay him.
My Local bookie still has Watson priced up at 9/1 this morning so I've had a cheeky score on him as it appears a bit of value.:hope

Re: Golf: The Open Championship I agree Fisher's putting under pressure is dodgey, I really think the top 4 in the betting at the moment have huge doubts about them Watson, Westwood, Fisher and Goosen, I have doubt over Westwoods abilty to win at the moment maybe that's just cause I lost money on him when he lost his playoff in France the other week. I hope Furyk or Goggin play solid today hope one of them can win.

Re: Golf: The Open Championship Looking forward to the final day and my take on it is that Westwood & Goosen will fight it out but for me its 40yo Goosen to take the tittle while the others will drop away but who knows but it would be great to see Watson lift the trophy again at the ripe old age of 60. Good luck all.

Re: Golf: The Open Championship with the players close in contention, there may be a play off which is normally a 4 hole play off, i think normally playing 17, 18, 1,2 ?? Sporting bet go 13/8 there is a play off. I wouldnt be surprised if there is one. :ok

Re: Golf: The Open Championship Lay Westwood to bt Fisher @ 2.06 Betfair Fisher's price is too big at around 2.44 imo but i'l take the safer oftion which gives us the tie, which is a distinct possibility in a lot of todays 2-balls. As well as he's played all week, iv'e never been convinced about Westwood when it really matters, and although he showed a lot of metal to hole that putt on 18 for bogey, his approach shot in going for the pin was a massive error of judgement, and may be a sign of thing to come. There's a massive amount of pressure on him today, to try and bag that elusive major,and i'm not convinced his nerve will hold up. Fisher will obviously feel it aswell, but i think he could thrive on it, and deal with the situation better than Westwood. He could prove me wrong, but even then, he still may do well to go lower than Fisher, who i fancy to continue playing as well as he has all week, and still be right in the mix at the end of the day.

Re: Golf: The Open Championship Lay Goggin to bt Watson @ 2.04 Betfair Again going for the safer option at a cracking price, which gives us the dreaded tie. Can Goggin handle the pressure of being in the final group of the biggest tournament in golf, playing against a golfing legend and the imposing figure of Tom Watson?? He's certainly never experienced anthing remotely close to what he'll experience today and i seriously have my doubts, and we may see the same as what happened to Marino yesterday. If i'm wrong though i still fancy Watson to Keep hitting fairways and greens as he has all week and to score well again, and if this is the case, i very much doubt the inexperienced Goggin will go lower than Watson in the final day of an open.

Re: Golf: The Open Championship pleased that els & leonard finished well to give my bets a bit of credence, pity Els buggered up the last, even par was a good clubhouse score. Donald now looking to post under par so could be a good day for the english with Westwood in front. Shame about Fisher, a quad bogey 8 on the card is a killer, just wondering why they atack a course that they need to shoot a level par 70 on?

Going to take one going into the final day Open winner - Stewart Cink @ 17/1 Skybet (E-W 4 places, 1/5) Stewart Cink has played some good solid golf this week, he shot a round of 66 on round 1, has since shot a 72 and a 71 so is currently at 1 under but he proved on day 1 that he is capable of playing well on this course, does not have the best of records in this tournament but he was joint 6th in 2007. been around for a while so has the experience and he has gave himself a chance going into the final round.
:clap:clap:clap Nice one mate.. good price also..

westwood blew it on 18th!! ok...the put he had was long....but he should have played safe and got it within 5feet.
agreed, as soon as he missed that putt, i thought that could be costly, always best to be in the clubhouse leading with only 1 pair to come in. poor judgement by Lee. Feel a bit sorry for Cink in a way as the crowd wanted old tom to win it, dont think cink minds, a major is a major.

Miguel Angel Jimenez Outright 150/1 Tote 1-2-3-4-5 1/4 odds (0.5pts EW) W/O woods 100/1 Tote 1-2-3-4-5 1/4 odds (0.5pts EW) 1st round leader 100/1 Bet365 1-2-3-4-5 1/4 odds (0.5pts EW) :nana Been looking through his stats & he has hit his lowest stroke average since 2005. His putting is the best since 2003, & Driving accuracy best since 2005 also. H eis ranked 31st this on European tour after 16 events. Last year he finished the year ranked 4th after 2 wins on the tour. He has missed 3 cuts in 16 events this year. Highest position was 4th in the BMW Championships. Justin Rose Outright 150/1 Ladbrokes 1-2-3-4-5 1/4 odds (0.5pts EW) W/O woods 100/1 Bet365 1-2-3-4-5 1/4 odds (0.5pts EW) 1st round leader 80/1 Tote 1-2-3-4-5 1/4 odds (0.5pts EW) Currently ranked 48th on the European tour after a shaky start to this season, however has only entered 7 events due to his time in America. Was Euro tour winner in 2007 with over £2m banked. His best finish on Euro tour was in the Dubai Desert Classic when 2nd at -18. His stroke average is good & better than 4 of the last 8 years. His GIR is the best it has been in his career which will be crucial round Turnberry. He looks overpriced due to the fact he is out of form but more than capable of putting together a good score. Paul McGinley 1st round leader 175/1 Bet365 1-2-3-4-5 1/4 odds (1pt EW) I tipped up McGinley 2 years ago when he was pipped by Garcia on day 1 to be the leader. He played well last week at Loch Lomond opening with a 1st round 65. Looking at his 1st round scores this season, they read 65-72-68-68-70-73. On all occasions, his 1st round was his best score showing he is quick out the blocks. Padraig Harrington W/O Woods 22/1 Paddy Power (2pts win) After winning the last 2 Opens, could he make it a 3rd? I doubt it but i will cover a bet in the w/o Woods market just in case. He has the links game, the attitude for the conditions & can play under pressure. He can hole putts which is essential also. Ernie Els W/O Woods 28/1 Paddy Power (2pts win) In the same market, Ernie has a record in the last 4 Opens of 7-4-3-0 finishing position. His game is suited to this type of golf & if he keeps it on the fairway this week, he has a chance of going under par. 3 good rounds last week in Scotland would have done his confidence the world of good. Justin Leonard W/O Woods 80/1 Tote 1-2-3-4-5 1/4 odds (0.5pts EW) 1st round leader 80/1 Tote 1-2-3-4-5 1/4 odds (0.5pts EW) Former winner Leonard is still young enough for this type of game. He relishes a challenge & is pumped up when he starts hitting birdies. Has a very direct game & can be under par for the week. Also capable of at least 1 good round & hopefully its the 1st round! Good Luck all:ok
To have 4 out of 5 outright bets finish in the Top 20, well pleased with that effort. Leonard & Els played well today proving once again thier game is suited to these conditions. Jimenez won me the money on day 1 & stayed around the top 10 but yesterdays round was the poor one. Bit of an anti climax in the end, a play off with westwood / cink would have been great to watch !

agreed, as soon as he missed that putt, i thought that could be costly, always best to be in the clubhouse leading with only 1 pair to come in. poor judgement by Lee. Feel a bit sorry for Cink in a way as the crowd wanted old tom to win it, dont think cink minds, a major is a major.
At the time though Watson was -3 so he had to go for that putt thinking he'd need -3 for the playoff with the outside chance that -3 would win. It's the same as Stuart Broad in the cricket the other week. Did he throw the stumps down going for a win or keep hold of it and take a tie? As a pro sportsman you're always likely to go for the win. At least for Westwood it shows he's getting so close to one of these now. He's knocked on the door a couple of times so the door will open eventually. Nice work with Cink, Spooner :ok

right sitting comfortably?, then we'll begin all the following are outright EW, first 6 with Stan James TIM CLARK 150/1, i'm a big fan of wee Timmy and for me this price is way too long, he is very accurate off the tee, and hits the ball low which on a links is the better option, while his recent open record is'nt great he would be more a 70s shot for me so i'm taking him at this silly price HENRIK STENSON 35/1, mr consistency in the EPGA tour, and he has the game and mantal toughness to be victorious here, last year he was tied for third, and i reckon he will be in the mix come sunday tea time. Camilo Villegas, 55/1, he has been tipped here earlier and not without justification, this man is good and will win a lot of enets though can he cope with the links in Ayrshire, you bet he can brought up golfing in south america with the wind of the atlantic, he'll think he is back home ! ernie els 33/1.you write this man off at your peril , 8 top 15 finishes in the last 12 years, runner up 3 times, winner once and third twice, that is the mark of a player who can play links golf, only tigesr record betters the big easy, his price is sure to come in and i for one would expect him to have another top 15 finish this week, no doubt about it. justin rose 100/1 has'nt been doing much this season but always plays well on these shores and his game is perfect for this course a good value bett this one. justin leonard 90/1 former winner and twice in top 15 too since 98, much as i dislike the man especially after the ryder cup exploits, i am happey to cash in on him i expect him to be challenging at some point in the event. stewart cink 135/1 another grossly overpriced player for me he is always a strong majors performer and twice top 15 in last 5 years, has a strong overall game and vastly experienced i would say real value here at EW. lee westwood 30/1 one day he has to win a major he is too good not to getting back to form now and if he putts well he is a big threat here, his open record is dire just one top15 finish in twelve years that was 4th at troon so he has previous on the ayrshire coast! hunter mahan 50/1 i got this price after the US open and thought id grab that was in the mix there and last year he was tied 6th in the open, he is a star in the making and i expect return from him this week ian poulter 33/1 again this price just after us open, runner up lat year and had he had a few more holes and harrington a bit less luck he would have been open champion, was putting on fire last year and i will be watching him closer then a constituency part watches it's MPS expenses claims
was very happy my 135/1 shot came in remember who had him on first bowlsey!