Billy Buick

I've been a fan of this kid for some time, in fact I backed his first winner (Bank On Benny) when he was 15. It's no great surprise to me that he has quickly become an established jockey. Although he keeps things simple, he is skilled. He has really quick hands, I saw him change his whip 5 times inside the last furlong once, no flapping with loose reins for him. His two winners tonight (Gold Prospect and Isabelonabicycle) at Kempton really drove it home for me, he had them outside (not too wide) throughout, urged them along at the right time and basically just gave them every chance to go and win. He kept it simple, if they were good enough (which he obviously thought they were) there were going to win due to his simple but effective rides. In the same way Murtagh does - JM's theory is that if the mount is good enough, then keep it simple. And who has ridden better than him over the past 3/4 seasons? Makes sense don't it? Someone tell Messrs Spencer and Moore. At a time when our so-called top jockeys regulary fail to give their mounts every chance, this teenager is making it look easy. Without doubt a future champion, in fact he may leave certain pig-headed rivals in his wake sooner than they think.

Re: Billy Buick I am another huge fan. The ride that convinced me he was one of the best around was when I was at Chester earlier in the season and he was the only jock prepared to ignore trainers instructions (to hold up) and set the pace on Buccellati. The other muppets, including Murtagh on Frozen Fire I think it was, were too rigid and set in their ways and never once looked like wanting to hit the front. I big priced winner like that can distort your vision and make you think a jockey is better than they are if you talk from your pocket, but on several occassions since I've watched a race when backing another runner and thought, bloody hell, Buicks done it again. I'm, not a massive Probert fan, so whenever backing a Balding runner, definately prefer to see Will on top.

This thread has more posts. To see them, you'll need to sign up or sign in.