Help! I'm a calling station!

muttley

It's true. I got a lot of abuse from a guy for calling his overpair with top pair, medium kicker. (The kicker paired on the river to win the hand). I deserved the abuse. I play 12/25c cash tables, and would describe myself as a break even player. However, I have a propensity to call big bets with marginal hands, especially when I've raised the pot. Take away this bad habit and I start to look like someone who is cracking this level. So why do I do it? Why is there always a voice saying "He might be bluffing!"? Should I simply keep a cold sponge to hand to be slapped around my head everytime I face a 3 bet? Any suggestions???

Re: Help! I'm a calling station! Get poker tracker (or poker office) and put some firm facts behind your thoughts. Everyone else is using these tools and profiling players, use your stats to help you. Run reports and determine specific situations when you win and lose. It's firm numbers, not the opinions of people on the internet.

Re: Help! I'm a calling station!

Just keep reminding yourself people don't bluff nearly as much as you think.
I think you're right. My, somewhat flawed, thinking went along the lines "I'm not going to let you think I can be pushed off a big pot by an aggressive play" when it was pretty obvious that the hands he could be making the play with were all beating me (higher pair, trips or top pair better kicker). I'm still learning, so I was wondering does everyone start off doing this? Maybe I'd learn quicker if I'd lost the hand.

Get poker tracker (or poker office) and put some firm facts behind your thoughts. Everyone else is using these tools and profiling players, use your stats to help you. Run reports and determine specific situations when you win and lose.
Thanks. I already have PT3 and use it to analyse my opponents. I spent some time this afternoon looking at my own games and it confirmed what I already believed, in a stark fashion. I need to address this part of my game before I can improve.

I think you're right. My, somewhat flawed, thinking went along the lines "I'm not going to let you think I can be pushed off a big pot by an aggressive play" when it was pretty obvious that the hands he could be making the play with were all beating me (higher pair, trips or top pair better kicker). I'm still learning, so I was wondering does everyone start off doing this? Maybe I'd learn quicker if I'd lost the hand.
Poker is all about patience. There will be nits who always have it, there will be aggro monkeys who like to act billy big bollocks every hand but if you just stay focused on your own game, let them do whatever they want to do then hit em where it hurts when we get a great situation.

Just keep reminding yourself people don't bluff nearly as much as you think.
Except in 6 handed omaha where it's probaly 50/50. The Scandies are just so aggressive it's great to watch.