Godolphin vs Ballydoyle

Who would you want fighting your corner in races this season? What if we were talking handicap races only? Would you change your mind? Over the past few years I've followed plenty of Godolphin's runners in handicaps and enjoyed success. From memory they seem to be concentrating on handicaps more and more as the years go on and despite their failures in other areas, their success in handicaps seems to be growing... pre2004 - 12% (4-34) 2004 - 15% (6-41) 2005 - 10% (10-96) 2006 - 20% (16-82) 2007 - 24% (14-59) 2008 - 27% (12-44) 2009 - 31% (5-16) 13 of the 16 runners took home prize-money A steady improvement and some impressive stats over the past four seasons. When looking at Ballydoyle we find that handicaps are the one area where the otherwise all conquering yard are failing. UK handicaps 1996-present - 8% (2-25) Irish handicaps last three years - 6% (3-49) Ballydoyle will not be losing a wink of sleep over this, and to be fair it's the thinest of silver lining on a whole host of black clouds for Godolphin. However for predominently handicap punters it is surprising, and perhaps useful, information. Clearly it's folly to ignore the boys in blue in all areas.

Re: Godolphin vs Ballydoyle I backed Godolphin at York in some handicaps and did alright but they have always tried to win the best races and buy the best horses so for them to become an outfit that concentrate on handicaps rather than group races would be like Chelsea wanting to win League 1. Ballydoyle seem intent on winning the top races with a focus on how much top class horses will be worth when going to stud and rarely seem to keep horses in training after 3 year old. With Godolphin being in poor form their horses will go off at artificially large prices and we can profit from it, as for horses linked to O'Brien they will go off at lower prices. Although Mastercraftsman won the other day I was on Delegator and felt that was the better value before the race, close but no cigar. I'm opposing Freemantle tomorrow too. :ok

This thread has more posts. To see them, you'll need to sign up or sign in.