BBOTD - Tue 12/5/09

4.00 Beverley James Given could be forgiven for thinking his season hadn't started properly as Dream of Olwymn, when scoring at Nottingham on Friday, was his first winner of the flat season. However, with the clouds that have been looming over his Lincolnshire base now seeming to lift, Royal Trouper could be up to the task of landing the Best UK Racecourses on Turftv Handicap here. 14th of 19 and behind Delegator when tried on his debut in a Newmarket maiden, this 100,000 euro purchase chased the leaders but weakened 1f out when sent off at 66/1. However, the likes of Palavicini, Four Winds and Crowded House have all emerged from that maiden, and even horses like Cry For the Moon, who finished well back, have shown improvement since moving into handicaps, as Royal Trouper is here. On his second start he seemed to progress and finished 6th of 11 in a warm Doncaster maiden. The horses infront that day have turned out to be useful, progressive sorts. The Miniver Rose, Union Island and Mustaquer have all picked up races or ran respectably in good company and Headline Act and Holberg have been successful in handicaps off marks in the late seventies. Royal Trooper was 4 lengths off the fifth that day, but he is rated accordingly, and off a rating of just 66 here I think he has been let in lightly. Last time out at Newcastle he improved again and ran a solid enough race in fourth behind one that has recently contested a Group 3 pot. He finished comfortably infront of Graycliffe who has won a race since going handicapping, and I think on quicker ground and stepped up in trip (out of a dam who was a half-sister to Derby and Oaks winners) he can pay his way this season too, starting with this 0-70 3 yo handicap. Hopefully the market speaks positively in the morning, but he's 7/1 tonight which seems good IMO. 0.5 pt EW

Re: BBOTD - Tue 12/5/09 Testimonial Day Handicap BEVERLEY 4.30 Rebel prince is 3lb better off today and showed a huge impression on his handicap debut a couple of weeks back, although getting beat by LOULOU by 1length or so i hope he can reverse this and get closer but to be safe win me an E/W bet 0.5pt e/w :hope sorry about editing i meant 0.5pt e/w not 1pt e/w thanks

Re: BBOTD - Tue 12/5/09 What have you got to do to get a winner ? ive hit every bit of the wood work but cant get a goal in the back of the net, anyway. Killarney 17:40 The Clubhousebee 0.5pt e/w bet, Michael Hourigans runner has been running well and runs off not a bad weight today, 3rd around 3 weeks ago that run should have him in spot on condition for this, AP Heskin takes the ride again and seems to get a good tune out of him, owned by sneaky boo syndicate and they all have a good passion for their horse racing, lets hope they atleast get in the first 3 home. Killarney 17:40 The Clubhousebee 0.5pt e/w bet To give us just a little smell of some gravy, god am hungry. lol

Re: BBOTD - Tue 12/5/09 First prediction wasn't very successful, so here goes; Brighton - 4.40 Im going with both Chalice Welcome and Pretty Officer. Chalice Welcome just missed out on its first race back on the flat last week. Generally performs very well at around this distance with recent form also being pretty good. Pretty Officer is only in her second season and runs very well at this weight. Performed well at Brighton so far, placing both times. Chalice Welcome - Win Pretty Officer - E/W

Re: BBOTD - Tue 12/5/09

First prediction wasn't very successful, so here goes; Brighton - 4.40 Im going with both Chalice Welcome and Pretty Officer. Chalice Welcome just missed out on its first race back on the flat last week. Generally performs very well at around this distance with recent form also being pretty good. Pretty Officer is only in her second season and runs very well at this weight. Performed well at Brighton so far, placing both times. Chalice Welcome - Win Pretty Officer - E/W
Hi mate, only one selection allowed in the BBOTD thread, you can put as many as you like in the daily meeting threads. If you dont repost your win bet will be the one that counts. BH

Re: BBOTD - Tue 12/5/09 4.30 Beverley Classic Contours 1pt win Carrying same 7lb claimer as on its last run (a win over this distance). Down in class today and conditions seem similar to its win LTO. Could go well today. Negatives are - draw isn't ideal and there seems to be a few promising horses in the field - Loulou and Rebel Prince.

Re: BBOTD - Tue 12/5/09 17:00 - Beverley - I'm going for Umverti but in general it's a pretty poor day's racing. I always view the Bycroft horses with interest, it being a fairly local yard to myself and knowing a couple of people involved and I feel it has a good chance tomorrow. Raced along and stayed on the pace LTO over a furlong or two further and I feel a drop in trip could suit it, as well as the addition of cheek pieces. Norton aboard it is also a good sign, I believe at times he can be a very very useful jockey and can often lead outsiders to a place or better. I'm expecting the odds to be fairly long on this one so here's hoping 0.5pt EW.

Re: BBOTD - Tue 12/5/09 Brighton 3.40pm 1pt lay My Flame Horse has only one winning race to its name and cant see in this race it going on and making this the 2nd win plus it would be 2 ina row,up 4lb for LTO and a step up in trip from LTO so for me not winning today,laying. Goodluck Whatever You Bet Today

Re: BBOTD - Tue 12/5/09 3.10 Brighton - Spit and Polish Short on time but finished well lto and normally races in better field, which would count towards a poor steak before that. Dunlop has a good strike rate on this course and Jimmy Quinn on top gives confidence. Win

Re: BBOTD - Tue 12/5/09 2.20 Warwick Angel of Fashion Win Never got going on debut when 14/1 10th home of 14 at Newbury over 5f in good to soft. Stepped up on that form when 2nd behind Kings of Leo and ahead of Six Wives (won claimer yesterday) over C&D 8 days ago. Faster ground that day looked to make a difference and this slight step up in distance should help. Barry Hills horses still in decent form and think this one has big chance today.

Re: BBOTD - Tue 12/5/09 Nice to see you back Charlie! 730 Newton Abbot: Dais Return Win Dais Return is favourite here and has the most solid form, has improved the last twice for better ground and is a real battler. The two dangers in the market have questions to answer and look poor value due to the connections. The Nicholls horse Pilgrims Lane won a soft race and last time was beaten after a circuit. The McCoy mount Bolton Hall has been handicapping and steps up in trip, seems to me to have had his chance and looks moderate. Of the rags, Norwest and Merry Terry may run well a big prices.

Re: BBOTD - Tue 12/5/09 A different best bet from me today, as it is based on my speed figures thread. 3.10 Brighton Come on Buckers He managed to run the joint best speed figure of the field at his best, a 77, but has recently put in 4 dismal speed figures. However, all of these 4 runs were at Wolverhampton on the all weather, which he clearly didnt like. His ratings were on average 30+ points lower than what he could run on turf. On his turf form, his ratings are close to those at the head of the market, and he is a very big price today. EW :ok

Re: BBOTD - Tue 12/5/09 Ling 6.20 Spring Adventure 1pt win Not the easiest maiden to call but this one should go close. She ran an encouraging race on debut to be a closing third at the line over 7f and then put in another decent effort to be third in what was a better maiden at hq afterwards. The second who for me was unlucky not to win that day has boosted the form since by winning well although the winner was a bit disappointing last week. However Spring Adventure ran well that day over 7f and her style of running so far encourages that this extra furlong should suit and she should go well.

Re: BBOTD - Tue 12/5/09 fml, obviously being too overworked today - just took me a good 3 minutes to find the bbotd thread for today... purely because it was titled bbotd and not best bet of the day :$ 2.40 Brighton - Thoughtsofstardom (win) Has only beaten a combined total of 11 horses home in the 10 races since his last run, but his mark has slipped below that last winning mark, and is now rated 19lbs lower than his career high mark at the end of January - less than 4 months ago. Brighton is the scene of his best turf run, 5f is the trip of his best runs and going on the fast side of good are what he's produced his best turf runs on, so everything is in place conditions wise for him to run up to his best. And doing so would give him every chance against this field. The jockey is the only concern, this is just her 2nd ride in public (only previous was this horse's lto run), but even with that factored in I think the 14/1 is good value.

Re: BBOTD - Tue 12/5/09 2:00 Bev I like the look of three horses here, Fashion Icon, Billy Beetroot and Simple Rhythm. Billy Beetroot is clearly a nice horse. He will definately go close in the race but his negative sideaffect of being disinterested of pulling hard is a negative for me. If he was slightly higher priced I would pick him, however at 2/1 he dosen't represent value Simple Rhythm is coming from a stable whos horses have been riding very well recently. LTO he was drawn poorly but just faltered at the last furlong to finish 9th. He has a decent jockey on board today who will know how to get the best of him and on his day this horse can ride well. Seems a decent draw at 9 and I wouldn't be surprised if it comes top 3. The one I am going for however is Fashion Icon We can forgive its run LTO in a competetive race and a poor draw.Today we see its draw in 6 where it can ride prominantely. Before the last race it has had some decent results, especially where it came 2nd in a decent race at Southwell. The stable is in very good form and the horse has an eye catching jockey on board who may get the best out of it. The race isn't that competitive and it should do enough to at least get a place. Fashion Icon E/W 8/1

2:00 Bev I like the look of three horses here, Fashion Icon, Billy Beetroot and Simple Rhythm. Billy Beetroot is clearly a nice horse. He will definately go close in the race but his negative sideaffect of being disinterested of pulling hard is a negative for me. If he was slightly higher priced I would pick him, however at 2/1 he dosen't represent value Simple Rhythm is coming from a stable whos horses have been riding very well recently. LTO he was drawn poorly but just faltered at the last furlong to finish 9th. He has a decent jockey on board today who will know how to get the best of him and on his day this horse can ride well. Seems a decent draw at 9 and I wouldn't be surprised if it comes top 3. The one I am going for however is Fashion Icon We can forgive its run LTO in a competetive race and a poor draw.Today we see its draw in 6 where it can ride prominantely. Before the last race it has had some decent results, especially where it came 2nd in a decent race at Southwell. The stable is in very good form and the horse has an eye catching jockey on board who may get the best out of it. The race isn't that competitive and it should do enough to at least get a place. Fashion Icon E/W 8/1
I always seem to pick the wrong horses for BBOTD!! lol 2nd, 3rd and Fashion Icon came in 4th :(

17:00 - Beverley - I'm going for Umverti but in general it's a pretty poor day's racing. I always view the Bycroft horses with interest, it being a fairly local yard to myself and knowing a couple of people involved and I feel it has a good chance tomorrow. Raced along and stayed on the pace LTO over a furlong or two further and I feel a drop in trip could suit it, as well as the addition of cheek pieces. Norton aboard it is also a good sign, I believe at times he can be a very very useful jockey and can often lead outsiders to a place or better. I'm expecting the odds to be fairly long on this one so here's hoping 0.5pt EW.
Thank god, off the mark finally with a 3rd place :lol:lol

Re: BBOTD - Tue 12/5/09 7-20 lingfield-cut the-cackle--super bet this horse as been running as a step up in trip is what is needed and i think she will have to many guns for the fav lemon and sugar,needed the first run latest so grounds to think she will improve for that outing.jockey knows the horse well so im giving this horse a great chance to win this race

I'm not sure I've quite interpreted the last statement BH' date=' but if you mean I've not had many winners lately, you're dead right, I could do with studying them a bit more intensely than I've been doing.[/quote'] Diamond........I think you've missed one of the competition rules........selections have to be posted at least 10 minutes before the off time..........:ok