Boxing...Ricky Hatton vs Manny Pacquiao

Re: Boxing...Ricky Hatton vs Manny Pacquiao

Just hope after tonight people start to realise just how good Manny is' date=' though I think he will still have to knock out Mayweather before some people start to believe it.[/quote'] Well he's made a believer out of me. Not to take anything away from Pac but how bad was Hatton? It was like he paid him no respect at all. All he used to talk about was controlled pressure, getting close, moving the head and working on the inside. None of that tonight. Just running in and swinging his arms.

Well he's made a believer out of me. Not to take anything away from Pac but how bad was Hatton? It was like he paid him no respect at all. All he used to talk about was controlled pressure, getting close, moving the head and working on the inside. None of that tonight. Just running in and swinging his arms.
I'm just watching it again now and its shocking, doesnt really seem to be any gameplan whatsoever and if there was one it went out the window as soon as he got knocked down. You can also see by his face and expression at the end of the first in the corner he is miles out of his depth and he knows it. You think he will retire now or one more "last homecoming fight" at the City of Manchester stadium?

Re: Boxing...Ricky Hatton vs Manny Pacquiao Sacraficed sleep for what I thought would have been a great brawl, not to be, under 6 minutes of action :) Pacman looked very very good, have never seen him fight before, even though Hatton was fighting like something you would expect to see outside a pub. True what they said afterwards, pacman is a very fit man, Hatton the guy who puts on 4/5 stone and then only loses it when going into a fight, not really good enough and it showed, that and his lack of self-control. He should have kept it tight and made a fight of it, always seems like he is going for that killer punch which just leaves him open, if he had done that and kept it tight he might have stood 1/2 a chance. Not so bothered about losing my bet on him, just wasnt very entertaining. Nice to see ppv cut off not so long afterwards either, if Hatton had won it would all still be on now. Hope he is ok anyway, thankfully he looked alright afterwards.

Re: Boxing...Ricky Hatton vs Manny Pacquiao Wasn't very entertaining? Could have seen one of the best ever tonight. Hatton is a great fighter and Pacman destroyed him. World titles at 6 different weights is unbelievable. Makes Mayweather's jobs on Hatton and ODLH look a touch sloppy now? (I know circumstances different etcetc). Pacquiao is undoubtedly the best boxer on the planet and does anyone really think Floyd Jr will be chomping at the bit to get in the ring with him? Won't be portrayed as such over here but this is much more about Pacquiao's brilliance than Hatton's failures!

Re: Boxing...Ricky Hatton vs Manny Pacquiao does anyone really think Floyd Jr will be chomping at the bit to get in the ring with him? Yes, definately. Pacquiao has been knocked out twice by flyweights. As undoubtably a brilliant boxer he is that stat will give all his potential opponents at welterweight the belief they can beat him. Comparing the manner of Floyds victories over DLH and Hatton to Pacquiao's is essentially a pointless exercise. Yes Pacquiao had the more eye catching displays but that was always likely based on the style of the two fighters. Floyd is a master defensive boxer and will be harder to hit than anyone the Pacman has faced thus far. Mayweather is good enough to control a fight against Pacquiao with his superior ringcraft and providing he still has 100% commitment to the game will most probably take the victory.

Re: Boxing...Ricky Hatton vs Manny Pacquiao FMJ will probably have at least ($)20 million reasons to be chomping at the bit to have a tilt at Manny Pacquiao! :lol Will be interesting (despite my declared disinterest elsewhere on these forums) to see how eighteen months or so 'retirement' will have done to Floyd against the second best pound-for-pound fighter in Juan Manuel Marquez.

Re: Boxing...Ricky Hatton vs Manny Pacquiao I very rarely place bets on boxing, but decided to put a medium sized wager on Pacman to win within 12 rounds but didnt think it would be that quick.Dont know where Hatton will come back from this now.Not as dedicated as you boys, couldnt stay up until 4am to watch it!:lol

Re: Boxing...Ricky Hatton vs Manny Pacquiao I was reading Floyd Mayweather Snr's comments the day before the fight, he said when he was on the pads in training he kept whacking Hatton in the head because he didn't move it, he was trying to drill in to him to get his head moving. Surely that's one of the basics in boxing and if you haven't quite figured it out at 31 years old you're in trouble. Hatton might have had a gameplan but soon went back to old bad habits and that rush in style of fighting and was there for the taking, there was no head movement and he was so easy to hit. Freddie Roach predicted a 3rd round KO, that seemed insulting before the fight but he was spot on with his assessment of Hatton, he said he'd watched tapes of him for months and seen that he only fights one way. He has to take some credit for how he has made Pacquaio such a top class fighter. If you were an odds compiler and had to price up a Pacquaio V Mayweather fight how would you have it? Is it a 50-50 fight or does Pacquaio have an edge, especially a fitness one with Floyd being in retirement? On another note did anyone see Matt Korobov on the undercard, I think PaulM mentioned him during one of his first fights, he was an excellent amateur and looks to be heading towards world class, he has got better evey time I've seen him, fast, powerful and accurate and one for the future.

I'm with the opinion that if it goes to the latter stages, if Ricky can get inside and land some damaging body blows then he could take it in the latter half. Conversely if Pacman comes out blazing he could just blow Hatton away. Which will happen, no idea - just know it's hopefully gonna be a crackerjack of a brawl and :hope for the Hitman Just got 4 small bets on Pacquiao in rounds 1 (33s) or 6 (16s) Hatton in rounds 8 (33s) or 10 (33s)
I think you can count yourself a bit unlucky there. That would have been a monster precition if it had come off.:clap
On another note did anyone see Matt Korobov on the undercard, I think PaulM mentioned him during one of his first fights, he was an excellent amateur and looks to be heading towards world class, he has got better evey time I've seen him, fast, powerful and accurate and one for the future.
He's one I've been trying to keep an eye on. It's going to be interesting to see how the progression of DeGale and George Groves who are both at similar stages of their career with decent amateur records compares to Korobov.
If you were an odds compiler and had to price up a Pacquaio V Mayweather fight how would you have it? Is it a 50-50 fight or does Pacquaio have an edge, especially a fitness one with Floyd being in retirement?
To be honest I haven't got a clue who would win. I don't think the bookies will either. I expect they'd give Pac a slight edge after his last two performance.

does anyone really think Floyd Jr will be chomping at the bit to get in the ring with him? Yes, definately. Pacquiao has been knocked out twice by flyweights. As undoubtably a brilliant boxer he is that stat will give all his potential opponents at welterweight the belief they can beat him. Comparing the manner of Floyds victories over DLH and Hatton to Pacquiao's is essentially a pointless exercise. Yes Pacquiao had the more eye catching displays but that was always likely based on the style of the two fighters. Floyd is a master defensive boxer and will be harder to hit than anyone the Pacman has faced thus far. Mayweather is good enough to control a fight against Pacquiao with his superior ringcraft and providing he still has 100% commitment to the game will most probably take the victory.
Surely looking at KOs from 10years ago when the guy weighed nearly 30lbs less is just as pointless? He is so much better now than then that it's not even the same boxer. People also were saying ''we'll see how good he is when Oscar/Ricky hits him at this weight'' but neither looked like doing so. Maybe it is just impossible to hit him! I dunno, just don't think Mayweather will be knocking out Pacman anytime soon. If this one was a close thing then that one will be as tight as anything. Apparently some bookies are already offering odds on whether Hatton will fight Khan next?!

On another note did anyone see Matt Korobov on the undercard, I think PaulM mentioned him during one of his first fights, he was an excellent amateur and looks to be heading towards world class, he has got better evey time I've seen him, fast, powerful and accurate and one for the future.
Thought he was absolutely fantastic, the punch where he knocked the guy's gumshield 20 feet outside the ring was brilliant. Definate future world champ.

Surely looking at KOs from 10years ago when the guy weighed nearly 30lbs less is just as pointless? He is so much better now than then that it's not even the same boxer. People also were saying ''we'll see how good he is when Oscar/Ricky hits him at this weight'' but neither looked like doing so. Maybe it is just impossible to hit him! I dunno' date=' just don't think Mayweather will be knocking out Pacman anytime soon. If this one was a close thing then that one will be as tight as anything. Apparently some bookies are already offering odds on whether Hatton will fight Khan next?![/quote'] In todays Racing Post it had William Hill prices for possible future fights. It had Hatton 4/11 favourite to win against Khan, and it had Mayweather 8/13 favourite to win against Pacman.

Re: Boxing...Ricky Hatton vs Manny Pacquiao The fight ended so fast same with my bet. I lost some bucks… I placed a bet on Hatton and unfortunately he was ko on second round =( wish me luck next time.. I hope there would be something like sure bet.

Hatton is 31 yrs old and it seems you can't teach an old dog new tricks' date=' naive and one dimensional again and just walked onto punches. As a matter of his health I hope he retires, seeing him lay there with glazed eyes made me feel sick, I really thought he was in a bad way and I hope he gets checked out after the fight. Marquez or Mayweather would beat him and the only possible fight left might be the winner of the Witter V Alexander fight, a Hatton V Witter fight for the WBC title would probably sell out but I hope he sees sense now and hangs up his gloves. A sad ending and although I expected Pac Man to win I didn't expect it to be over so quickly, Pac Man V Mayweather will be fight of the century if he beat Marquez.[/quote'] I lost my money on that fight by betting virtually blindly about two hours before the opening bell, so I'm not aftertiming here. I had a quick scan of their records as I've only seen Hatton fight once, and never seen Pacquiao fight at all. I backed the fight to go more that 6 rounds. The next day, when I wasn't tired, I went through Hattons record again, but this time paying attention to detail, to see what the fcuk caused me to lose my money in 2 rounds. If I recall correctly now, he had stopped 32 opponents. On boxrec.com they list fighters stances, orthodox or southpaw. Hatton has fought 10 southpaws, he beat one by disqualification when his opponents trainer jumped into the ring to object for what he believed was an elbow strike by Hatton. He stopped one with a left hook body shot, which I found a bit strange as the bloke he beat won his next 9 fights. And apart from stopping a bloke who had lost more than he won, all his other victories over southpaws went to points. My conclusion now is that he can't handle southpaws with the same effect as orthodox boxers. If I had read all this before the fight I would have either backed Pacquaio, or bet that it didn't last 6 rounds.

Re: Boxing...Ricky Hatton vs Manny Pacquiao Am a big Hatton fan, but almost glad Pac did him, just to put a stop to his ludicrous "best P4P fighter " claims he kept harping on about. A very good Light-Welter is what you are/was Ricky, light years from P4P status. Had some crackin nights following him though. Truth is, in glorious victory over Zoo 4? years back, a lot was left in the ring that night. It's happened to a lot of fighters with that style of fighting. Never looked the same since, with some worrying displays along the way. Lazcano and Malig' were his true level, with a number of current dangerous 140 lbers ducked in order to chase the mega bucks. Don't blame him for that one iota, because his phenomonal public status, which genuinely took the USA by surprise, catapulted him into the marquee fighter strathosphere. I hope the weeks to come don't offer the tired excuses for being blown away, as after the pbf fight. Had a solid shout, sparring did'nt go smoothly, with a certain cuban defecter ( tipped up to be a WC inside 2 years tops) early into his pro career, causing all sorts of problems. Odds-on, Ricky has one last fling in the ring imo. A huge home soil finale awaits. Still a best seller whatever anyone says.

• 2 weeks later...