A difficult decision?

GeordieGaz

Playing in the regular Aspers Newcastle £22 Freezeout last night. Tourney has 110 runners with 10 places paid. Very first hand of the tournament I pick up :Ac: :Ad: The blinds are 25/50 and everyone has a starting stack of 4k. I'm on the button and have 3 limpers in the pot... I put in a raise to 225 and get 3 callers!!! (this tourney is widely known as the Aspers Friday night bingo due to all the 'fish' they generally get in there).. The flop comes down :7h: :8h: :9c: ... first to act checks and the next player pushes all in!!!! It's folded to me.... What is the best play here? I have no info on the player at all? :unsure

Re: A difficult decision?

Playing in the regular Aspers Newcastle £22 Freezeout last night. Tourney has 110 runners with 10 places paid. Very first hand of the tournament I pick up :Ac: :Ad: The blinds are 25/50 and everyone has a starting stack of 4k. I'm on the button and have 3 limpers in the pot... I put in a raise to 225 and get 3 callers!!! (this tourney is widely known as the Aspers Friday night bingo due to all the 'fish' they generally get in there).. The flop comes down :7h: :8h: :9c: ... first to act checks and the next player pushes all in!!!! It's folded to me.... What is the best play here? I have no info on the player at all? :unsure
fold :dude

Re: A difficult decision? It'd be a fold (and then a little cry) for me ... with what you said about there being lots of fish in the tourney, chances are someone will have called your raise with something like J10 or even 98/87, in which case you're sinking fast ...

Re: A difficult decision? Fold. You have 80bbs why on earth would you contemplate calling with just a pair on that flop? Can you seriously put him on a just a draw. You're a decent player there'll be far better spots and there's also two players left to act. You probably called though and he had 10 high lol.

Re: A difficult decision? I sometimes play in tournaments like this Gaz although for £10/£5 rather then £20. I expect the standard of play is similar though. If it were a rebuy I think it would be a hard choice but given that it's freezeout I'd just fold it. There are three options for why hes made the play: 1. He has a hand like two pair (suited connectors are a popular hand to play - they look all pretty), trips (77, 88, 99 will likely all be in his range) or the straight (10 J suited may well also be in his range) and is trying to get rid of draws with the move. In bad shape against a lot of these. 2. Hes on a open ended straight and/or heart draw (A 10 of hearts ticks all the boxes pre and post flop) and is just trying to take down the pot. A coin flip. Obviously in your favour if just the straight draw or the flush draw. 3. Complete bluff on a scary board - and the players at these things are definately capable of seeing this as a good play! You're a big favourite. Now I'd number 2 is unlikely. I'd generally say poor players don't consider the option of going all in without a hand of any kind when they do so and I doubt a better player would make the all in play here. I'd say realistically were left with 1 and 3. Players do have very large calling ranges at these tournaments. Its hard to assign % to the number of times its one or two with the kind of players you get at these kind of events. I would however say that it being a freezeout makes me think he has a hand. I don't think a good player makes this play with any hand and I doubt a poor player is going to want to end his £22 poker game quite so soon. Its not to say its not a bluff its just in the long run I think you would lose calling. Slight disclaimer on the end - this is just how I'm seeing it and someone better at the game can no doubt come a long and sum it up better! :D

Fold. You have 80bbs why on earth would you contemplate calling with just a pair on that flop? Can you seriously put him on a just a draw. You're a decent player there'll be far better spots and there's also two players left to act. You probably called though and he had 10 high lol.
I contemplated for a little bit but deep down knew what I was going to do.... I was having a little chuckle with the table at the time just cos it was the first hand and I was dealing and if I#d call they would have to get someone else to deal!! :\ I folded showing my aces and the guy says good fold as he turns over his pocket 8's for trips. :dude

This is indeed awful raise pre flop mate. 600-700. After all in' date=' insta fold.[/quote'] For once guys, disagree strongly with your thoughts. I raised 4.5xBB (blinds were 25/50 and I raised to 225)... I don't think that is too small at all.... in fact at the time I thought it was too big! :loon Why would I raise to 600-700? :unsure... I just don't understand how that can be profitbale in the long run?

Re: A difficult decision? As there's already 3 limpers in the pot, plus the blinds to come. Even assuming the Blinds both fold there's 450 in the pot and just 175 more for the first limper to call, after he calls the odds get even better for the next 2. Do you not want to play your premium pairs in a big pot against as few villains as possible, and your drawing suited connector type hands in a small pot v as many villains as possible?

Re: A difficult decision? How much would you be raising with no limpers before you? I'm with Hen and Blatch - 3 limpers before you, you have to put in a bigger raise.... With a raise to 225, if one player calls, then everyone else is suddenly getting great odds to call with a wide range of hands, and you're playing AA multi way.... Edit: Bah - you're way too fast off the mark for me Pete :sad

as it happens in this scenario, i probs got away from the hand very cheaply
You are very right mate. In that sort of situation, (and only in my case) math and any logic goes out of the window. I know its a bad thing to say :$. I play the hand, as I feel it. Those days, there is no respect to any raise in first 3 levels of any MTT whatsoever. Yesterday in focus game at 25/50, I'm 1st to act with KK. I raise to 350 and get 4 callers :eyes. If I was 4th to act after 3 limpers, I would ve raised to at least 600. What can you do on the flop of 866 with 4 more people in the hand? You wont believe it, but I pushed all in :$. It seems totally crazy, cause stacks are about 5k, but thats the only way I saw it. If there is 88 or any 6, so be it. One idiot called with A9 (he had 12k) and I double up. I know, I said the same about playing top pairs in early stages many times and it will not change. Two ways. One to raise big. Second, to slow play in hope some one raise after, with intention to re raise big. No raise, hand is as good as dead. It always depends on dynamics of the table.