The Masters Golf Tournament 2009 - Thurs 9th April - Sun 12th April

Re: The Masters Golf Tournament 2009 - Thurs 9th April - Sun 12th April There is live coverage of Amen Corner from when the first group arrive, plus holes 15 & 16, plus an extra hour before the live coverage begins on tv on the Masters website at http://www.masters.org/en_US/interactive/live/index.html As kevshat mentioned the Amen corner coverage is on the red button on the beeb but dunno if the other stuff is as well.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: The Masters Golf Tournament 2009 - Thurs 9th April - Sun 12th April Ok folks if you're like me and hate the sporadic coverage from Beeb and the big USA networks then the best way to watch and get updates as they happen is on Veetle! What you need to do is download the player here: www.veetle.com/download.php Then once its loaded go to this channel: http://www.veetle.com/viewChannel.php?cid=489e78e9b8936 :ok

Re: The Masters Golf Tournament 2009 - Thurs 9th April - Sun 12th April

Out of curiosity' date=' does anyone know the record the par 3 winner has of going on to win the major/lead at 1st round?[/quote'] The winner of the par 3 competition has never gone on to win the Masters, as Fuzzy Zoeller said - it's one contest you don't want to win.

Re: The Masters Golf Tournament 2009 - Thurs 9th April - Sun 12th April Chad Campbell back to -7 after threatening to break course record hitting -9 at one stage, thats some golf. Apparently the course pins were set up easy today, expect them to get worse over the week. Is there a market for the average score to be increased tomorrow although the cut plays a part if people expect to miss it, they dont bother. There are going to be lots of changes over the next 3 days!

One more outright for me: 1 pt ew Tim Clark @ 125/1 1 pt ew Tim Clark first round leader TIED 6th :@:@:@:@ Plays well here and has a decent record. Finished 2nd two years ago and is a very strong starter. A live longshot IMO.
Excellent performance by Tim on day 1 but just outside the places for 1st round leader @ 70/1. So frustrating

how does the cut work for the masters' date=' is it the 10 shot rule or top 50 etc?[/quote'] Yeah Paddy 10 shot it is. Casey just mentioned it in his interview there if you were watchin. So if i'm wrong he doesn't know what he's talkin about either:lol

Re: The Masters Golf Tournament 2009 - Thurs 9th April - Sun 12th April Good start yesterday, 2of the outrights are -6 and only one outright loser from the 6 three ball picks. Going with a few more 3 balls today: Merrick to beat Mize and Kittleson 3/4 wh 10 pts Merrick has been pretty impressive already this season with a second and a sixth place finish already on tour and he played well yesterday to shoot 68. It wasn’t enough to win his 3 ball though as Mize was rejuvenated to shoot 67 whilst the amateur in this group struggled. However Im not sure Mize can repeat his efforts indeed I doubt he will. He hasn’t shown anything like this form even on the champions tour so far this season and he was a one hit wonder in his prime and it could be a similar story today. Good luck to him if he does keep it going but I like Merrick here and it wouldn’t surprise me to see the amateur provide the biggest threat. Casey to beat Stricker and Crenshaw 8/11 sj 10 pts I actually took Casey on in this one yesterday with theory being he could start a bit slowly after last weeks exertions. As it happened a late bogey at 18 meant he shared honours with Stricker with Crenshaw not a million miles off either. Howver in the second round I like Casey here. He is a player with a very good record here and normally produces his best in this round. In 3 of the masters out of 4 that he has played in he has produced rounds in the 60s on day 2 and it could be a similar story here. In 2007 he improved his first round score by 11 shots and whilst that is unlikely here, he could prove too strong for his rivals here. Kaymar to beat Olazabal and Snedeker 6/4 cor 10 pts Kaymar hasn’t done much in past visits here but yesterday he appeared to play better to be under par and statistics wise he appeared to have struck the ball well. He shines up very well in various gir stats and driving accuracy yesterday and with just the odd putt or two more who could have gone even lower than his 71. Olly in this group played well to a point yesterday but faded late on as his short game couldn’t continually save him whilst Snedeker continued his hit and miss profile with a poor round. Kaymar for me in this one. Baird to beat Reavie and Woosnam 10/11 spo 10 pts I went for Baird yesterday and despite a slightly shaky finish he won this three ball and could do so again. Woosie ended up the biggest danger in this one yesterday but Baird still so him off and could well do so again. Reavie struggled yesterday and whilst none of these 3 players particularly shone, Baird arrived in the best form and shot the lowest score yesterday from this group and may do so again. Stenson to beat Rose and Cabrera 6/4 lad 10 pts Not a great fan of doing an outright in a 3 ball but I am here. Stenson had a mixed day yesterday, he ended it under par and unsurprisingly had loads of birdies but he also had a lot of bogeys to finish -1. In this 3 ball it was Cabrera who won with a good round of 68. However Cabrera can be very up and down as a player and it wouldn’t be the greatest surprise to see him struggle today after a good round yesterday. The other member of the group Rose, hasn’t been in that special form and not even his good record around here was able to help him and he could miss the cut today if he is not careful. Stenson for me in this one.

Re: The Masters Golf Tournament 2009 - Thurs 9th April - Sun 12th April Great day yesterday, very enjoyable to watch. So, the cut is based on the Top 44 plus ties, and the 10-shot rule. I expect to see a huge change in the leaderboard today with scoring expected to be more difficult. Pin positions are likely to be more challenging and, with a bit of rain planned for this afternoon, anyone shooting 70 or under today can feel pleased with themselves. Today could favour those out early and there are many, many big names due out late on. Really looking forward to Day 2. Should have a much clearer picture on where we all stand come midnight tonight:ok

Re: The Masters Golf Tournament 2009 - Thurs 9th April - Sun 12th April 3 for me today all at odds against T Immelman to bt A Scott / D Lee @ 11/8 Bet365, Last years winner Trevor finished his round better than he started it yesterday & is in with a shout again this year for a top 20 finish. Danny Lee did play well but i dont think his game will play to the difficult pins today. This leaves Adam Scott who often flatters to deceive & not sure his game is entirely suited to the course. J Furyk to bt Mickelson & Villegas @ 9/5 Bet365, Jim put himself in the frame yesterday & he is often there at the half way stage in the big tourneys, As the week goes on, lefty will get better & the odds for him look a trifle short at 11/8. Think this one may be tight with Furyk edging out Lefty. Harrington to bt Weir & Imada @ 11/10 Bet365 3 under was a great start for Harrington & he is another who can hit sub par rounds here & in the majors. Weir had a good round yesterday & is 1 ahead of Harrington however, the tighter pins may play to harringtons strengths.

Re: The Masters Golf Tournament 2009 - Thurs 9th April - Sun 12th April Indifferent day for me but Fisher is right in the mix. Going with 4 outrights today. 3pts H.Mahan to beat R.Allenby & Y.E.Yang 5/4 Boylesports Match tees off at 14.36 BST. Hunter Mahan produced a fantastic round of 66 yesterday and while I don't expect him to emulate that again today, his opponents have to find 7 shots on him which would be very tricky to do. It's well known I'm a Hunter Mahan fan from previous events where I've backed him and he's got the one thing you are going to need around here - a good putter. Allenby is a solid player but hasn't really produced at this level for a while while Yang is capable but inconsistent. Mahan won't go round in 66 again but if he breaks par I'd expect him to take this match. 3pts J.M.Olazabal to beat M.Kaymer & B.Snedeker 9/4 Stan James Match tees off at 15.12 BST. I took Snedeker in this yesterday based on his record last year but he was poor. Never really in the match. I mentioned Olazabal's record around here yesterday but was concerned the extra length will get him. It didn't as he went round in 71 which looked like it would be a few shots less midway through the round. Martin Kaymer might well prove to be Olly's closest challenger here. He also went round in 71 yesterday but that was with a couple of late birdies. Olazabal loves it round here though and being the outsider of the 3 could be wrong so I'll take him to win this match. 3pts K.Perry to beat KJ.Choi & A.Quiros 11/10 Bet365 Match tees off at 15.23 BST. Kenny Perry went round in a solid 68 yesterday which was 8 and 10 shots better than his opponents. I expect more of the same today too. Kenny Perry is an outstanding driver of a golf ball and when the short stick is working he's a very tough cookie to beat. KJ Choi has got all the credentials to be a great player but he could be lacking a bit of confidence at the minute. Alvaro Quiros is a big talent but he's still very raw and at +6 may think he's out of the tournament. Perry looked really good yesterday and I think he'll win this match again. 4pts L.Donald to beat S.Ames & G.Player 8/11 Stan James Match tees off at 17.46 BST. Luke Donald and Stephen Ames drew at +1 yesterday but they both had complete opposite rounds to each other. Ames was -2 at one stage while Donald was +4 as late as the 12th hole. So they both went in opposite directions but Luke Donald will have all the momentum coming into today's round. Gary Player wasn't disgraced yesterday but he won't feature in the match in terms of winning it. Donald seems to have finally found his game late on yesterday and I expect him to go well today with the momentum behind him and he's the pick in this match.

Re: The Masters Golf Tournament 2009 - Thurs 9th April - Sun 12th April To late when i tried to get on Tim clark yesterday but i only have myself to blame. Casey just didn't do it yesterday, but should still have won after he bogeyed the last to tie with stricker. Should maybe have given crenshaw a bit more credit yesterday, with him and other veterans all performing really well. I suppose playing the same course every year, these guys know the course inside out, and although they may not win the tournament, they can certainly still compete and post very good scores. Something i will take on board in future masters. Having said all that i'm going against crenshaw again today.:lol 3 for me today in the 2nd round 3-balls Mahan @5/4 ladbrokes to beat allenby and yang Mahan outscored his playing compatriots by seven shots yesterday but i dont' expect it to be that easy today. However i certainly cant see mahan being outscored by these two today. Allenby has a shocking record round augusta having only broken par 3 times in 29 attempts and never breaking 70. Yang done well yesterday to get to +1 with a run of four consecutive birdies, but with 4 bogeys and a double on his card i dont have much confidence in him having a solid round today. I'm pretty confident mahan can cement his place near the top of the leaderboard today where a 69/70 should be good enought to win this 3-ball. Watney @2.38 betfair to bt jiminez and curtis Obviously watney is one of the most in form golfers in the world this year. He made a good start yesterday -2 to follow up his excellent debut last year t-11. He played the par 5s in -5 yesterday and i expect more birdies today and a climb up the leaderboard. Jiminez rates the main danger and also recorded a -2 yesterday but he's been out of form of late and would do well to outscore the in form american imo. Curtis's best score in 15 attempts was a -1 71 and has missed 4 out of 5 cuts and i dont rate him as a danger in this 3-ball. Casey @1.84 betfair to bt stricker and crenshaw Just to add to my reasoning yesterday on this 3-ball, i'm happy to go with casey again at a slightly better price than yesterday, with him knowing he needs a fairly good round today to make the cut. I'm confident he can step up to the plate. gl lads and sorry for the late posting.

Re: The Masters Golf Tournament 2009 - Thurs 9th April - Sun 12th April last year casey ball moved, cost him a shot & his game went to pieces for a 79, same thing happens again this year with Harrington & then he bogeys !! I had Casey last year & Harrington is in quite a few of my bets this year. 2 more great days to go Mickleson playing well now, lots of golf left to play, those at the top will be quaking tomorrow going out last.

looks like Mcilroy may be disq for kicking the sand after his poor shot at the 18th rules are rules i suppose
Shame he was going along nicely till the 16th dropping 2 and then the nightmare at the last all part of the learning process for him in his first masters i guess.

Re: The Masters Golf Tournament 2009 - Thurs 9th April - Sun 12th April McIlroy avoids Masters punishment Rory McIlroy escaped disqualification at the Masters following a lengthy inquiry into a possible rules breach. Making his debut appearance at Augusta, the 19-year-old Northern Irishman appeared to kick sand after failing to get out of a bunker by the 18th green. But he was eventually cleared to play in the final two rounds after officials decided not to penalise him. McIlroy had stormed to sixth place with three holes to play but then dropped five shots to finish down in 42nd spot. He four-putted the short 16th for a double bogey five and then ran up a triple-bogey seven on the 18th to survive the halfway cut with nothing to spare at one over par. McIrlory had finished his round at 1615 local time but at around 2040 returned to the club at the request of officials and was shown television coverage of him in a bunker by the 18th green. Eventually, over four hours later, a statement was issued saying that he was not being penalised. Augusta National competitions committee chairman Fred Ridley said: "A question was raised regarding Rory McIlroy's actions. "The Rules of Golf (13-4) prohibit a player from testing the condition of a hazard before playing a stroke in the hazard. "The decisions interpreting the rule state that kicking the ground in the hazard constitutes testing the condition. "However, the rules allow the player to smooth sand or soil in the hazard after making a stroke provided that, with regard to his next stroke, nothing is done to improve the position or lie of his ball, the area of his intended swing, his line of play or a reasonable extension of his line beyond the hole or the area in which he is drop or place a ball. "At the request of the committee McIlroy returned to the club at approximately 8.40pm, met with the committee and reviewed the CBS tape. "Based on the tape and Mr McIlroy's statement of what had taken place after he played the shot it was determined that no violation of the rules had occurred." After going out in 34, an eagle on 13 moved McIlroy to four under but a four-putt double bogey at 16 was followed by a triple-bogey seven at the last. However, the alleged rules infringement was examined by Masters officials with evidence suggesting he had transgressed by testing the conditions. His one-over total saw him make the cut mark as he was 10 behind joint leaders Chad Campbell and Kenny Perry.

Re: The Masters Golf Tournament 2009 - Thurs 9th April - Sun 12th April If the first day was good then yesterday was awful with all 5 selections losing and only Baird tying for a minor loss. However all 4 outrights made the cut and are nicely placed to challenge although Wilson didn’t. Anyway 2 balls today and hoping for more like the first days results than yesterday, bear in mind the tie is in play. Mcilroy to beat Immelman 10/11 pp 10 pts Mcilroy is still here after a lot of controversy at the last hole yesterday and I wonder if he will take the most of his opportunity. Mcilroy is still learning as he goes along here but at times has played some top golf already here. He showed that yesterday when he got it to -4 for the round at one point only to have a 4 putt at 16 and then a shocking 7 at that last. However in between that he has made a lot of birdies and I favour him over Immelman the defending champ. Immelman has struggled since last year and he dipped yesterday to a 74 and in the end needed some lat birdies on the back nine to make the cut. Mcilroy for me here. Flesch to beat Rose 11/8 bet3 10 pts Flesch played well in this last year when placed and seems to go well here. He has shot some decent rounds here in the past and whilst his form has been mixed of late bar one good week, he appears to be playing better this week. He nearly missed the cut yesterday but he played the last 7 holes in a couple under to make the cut and as the underdog here he shouldn’t be ruled out. Rose does have even more history here but his form hasn’t been that special and even this week he never looked all that and it was really a couple of chip ins for birdies very late on fri that mean he is here. Flesch as the underdog in this clash. Casey to beat Hart 4/6 sj 10 pts Went against Casey in round 1 and he was level, then changed my mind and went for him only to see stricker shoot low and beat him but Casey whilst quiet by his normal aggressive standards, is still here and normally does well here once he makes the cut. It was only a good finish that enabled him to make the cut today as he went 3 under par in his last 7 but he could well take the momentum from that to today. Hart is more of a journeyman pro and like Casey he has had a couple of 72s so far but Casey will look to make a charge today and may have too much in this matchup. Stenson to beat Singh 11/10 pp 10 pts Stenson has made a lot of birdies this week and he finished yesterday in good fashion to move to -3 overall and still very much a player to watch here. Singh, who hasn’t played much lately, normally goes well here and he got over a shocking start to his back nine yesterday to make the cut and still be in the mix. However I like the younger man here who at times can make some of the par 5s here look extremely easy, yesterday at the 13 for example and the Swede could win this match up and make a charge today. Perry to beat Campbell 10/11 bet3 10 pts Final group of the ryder cup players and Im going with the older man here. Both have played some fine golf this week but from what I have seen of him, perry has impressed me that bit more. He didn’t even drop one shot yesterday and possibly left a shot or two out there despite shooting 67 given that two of the par 5s he ‘only’ made par at. Campbell went close here three years back and himself has played fine gold so far, he even got -11 at one point but Campbell didn’t perform in a very similar situation in 2006 in the final group on the sat/sun as it was delayed and I just give slight preference to Perry here.

Re: The Masters Golf Tournament 2009 - Thurs 9th April - Sun 12th April Halfway report Happy with the likes of Singh, Harrington, Tim Clark on my bets & i think Donald still might come good. Long way to go. For me, Tiger is too big to miss @ 5/1 most firms. At -2 he hasnt hit many birdies yet and Kim has shown in 2 days what you can hit (17 birdies in 2 days). That is one bet i am having today for sure. I also said you have to factor in certain stats & Carbera ranked 3rd in the driving stats in US, he is no surprise being up there & @ 15/2 Skybet 1/4 odds at 8 under looks a sound bet as well. Mickelson looks to have his A game also & could be big @ 14's if you compare that with Tiger. 3 more bets for me Tiger 5/1 5pts Mickelson 14/1 2pts Carbera 1.5pts EW 15/2

Re: The Masters Golf Tournament 2009 - Thurs 9th April - Sun 12th April is anyone else annoyed at the lack of coverage? ive potentially got alot of money riding on this and i cant even f'in watch the golfers ive backed cause it aint on till half 8!! theres the crappy red button thing but that only covers the golfers going through amen corner. there 4 bbc channels i think and they cant show it on any of them? If the bbc cant show the WHOLE thing then they should let sky sports, a proper channel have it sorry rant over

is anyone else annoyed at the lack of coverage? ive potentially got alot of money riding on this and i cant even f'in watch the golfers ive backed cause it aint on till half 8!! theres the crappy red button thing but that only covers the golfers going through amen corner. there 4 bbc channels i think and they cant show it on any of them? If the bbc cant show the WHOLE thing then they should let sky sports, a proper channel have it sorry rant over
its a closed shop dobbo, this rant comes every year, its one tourney that the americans hold exclusive rights to & they decide how much coverage they give away. Its the first year we have had the red button coverage so be thankful for small mercies!

Re: The Masters Golf Tournament 2009 - Thurs 9th April - Sun 12th April The problem with this tourney is much like last year, when Immelman just needed to play par golf to win as the others were trying too hard i.e hit the par 5's in 2 etc & end up in the water each time or play hard 3rd shots. If you are around -5 now, come on, take the par 5's on if you can but why not lay up & take the chip onto the green for a closer birdie putt. I reckon you could count on 4 birdies through the round & then put the pressure on these leaders. -12 tonight may be a tough total to reach unless these guys have a nightmare tomorrow, but look at the scores today of the challenging pack, very poor from the likes of Singh, Woods, KIm, Mickleson etc as they should have looking to hit 68 or 69 at least. Feel for Harrington having a 9 on the 2nd & then finishing with a 73!! thats some fightback.

Re: The Masters Golf Tournament 2009 - Thurs 9th April - Sun 12th April Disappointed yesterday with Tiger, not enough birdies to make an impact & a double bogey yet again. He is 22/1 now for the title & 7 shots behind, not beyond him to be honest. If he makes an early move, that price will come down so its another bet perhaps this time to lay if he starts a charge. Tiger Woods 22/1 Skybet 2pts Carbera did me proud yesterday & is now as short as 2/1. His driving distance is the key to his game but his putting was excellent yesterday under pressure. Furyk put his 3rd round behind him by shooting an impressive 68 but when the pressure mounts, does he have it? Mickelson is playing with Tiger & @ 33/1 for the title could still make an impact. Winning margin could be tight & 5/2 for a 1 shot m,argin with Boylesports appeals to me. Winning margin 1 shot 5/2 Boylesports 3pts win Ladbrokes have some dual forecast bets for the 1-2 finish, here is the big one! Woods / Mickleson 225/1