Flat Season 2009 ~ Horses To Follow, Antepost Bets, Q & A

There was a thread similar to this for Cheltenham which I enjoyed reading so here are few questions I'd like to throw out there, it would be good if others could throw in some more too..... Which trainers are you putting faith in for this year? Sir Michael Stoute, John Gosden, Richard Hannon, Mark Johnston, Chris Wall, Michael Jarvis, Mick Channon, Kevin Ryan, Paul Cole, Tom Dascombe, Clive Cox and David Simcock. Which trainers are you treading carefully with or ducking this year? Cautious about Dandy Nicholls, Alan Swinbank, James Fanshawe, Conor Dore and Michael Bell. Will duck completely Ann Stokell, Alan McCabe, Stuart Parr, Ann Duffield, Ruth Carr and Milton Bradley. Which trainers are you hoping have a tough year? Aidan O'Brien and Godolphin. Both could take a donkey from Blackpool beach and stick Johnny Murtagh or Frankie on and it would still never go off at more than 10/1. Which trainer do you want to see do especially well? Tom Dascombe. He has done really well with what he had on AW this winter, I'd love it if he could saddle up a big winner at one of the big meetings. Which jockeys will boost your confidence when you see them on your horse? Ryan Moore, George Baker, Richard Hughes, Daryll Holland, Jimmy Fortune, Phillip Robinson, Andrea Azteni, Freddi Tylicki, Ross Atkinson, Ahmed Ajtebi. Which jockeys will you avoid if possible? Jamie Spencer, Robert Winston, Neil Brown, P J Mcdonald, Kevin Ghunowa, Fergal Lynch, Saleem Golam, Frankie McDonald, Brian McHugh, David Kinsella, Neil Pollard, Ann Stokell Which racecourse(s) are you planning on visiting for the first time? Beverley, Newcastle, Chester, Warwick, Nottingham, Leicester. If I can cross at least three of those off by November I'll be happy. Which racecourse are you most looking forward to returning to? York. Fantastic City, always love going back there and never fail to have a superb day there even if I find few winners. Hopefully the floods will stay away this year. :hope If you could pick a winner in any of the non-classics (lets remove the obvious), which would it be? Stewards Cup. Which horse would you love to see win a big prize? Borderlescott. I assume he is still in training and would love it if he could add a second Group win to his name.

Re: 2009 Flat Season - Q & A If you could pick a winner in any of the non-classics (lets remove the obvious), which would it be? The 2000 guineas because I hope to be there and a win in the big one would top it off nicely. OOps sorry just noticed the non classics bit:$ Which horse would you love to see win a big prize? Youmzain - Second in 2 Arcs and would absolutely be delighted if he is entered in it this year and picks up the top prize. Will be a big ask at the age of 6 though.

Re: Flat Season 2009 ~ Horses To Follow, Antepost Bets, Q & A Which trainers are you putting faith in for this year? Well I always look horse first but there are certain trainers I am more confident with, Gosden, Hannon (2yos), Johnston, M Jarvis Which trainers are you treading carefully with or ducking this year? Stewart Parr, James Fanshaw, Ed Dunlop, Milton Bradley, Ruth Carr, John Hills Which trainers are you hoping have a tough year? I've flip-flopped on Coolmore in recent years due to their relentless G1 success. Godolphin deserve no success however, bad judgement (sales, bad trainer, bad jockeys, their colours are ok though. The no1 answer though must be Jim Bolger, the man gives Irish trainers a bad name - his behaviour last season, and his jockey's in races, were a disgrace. Which trainer do you want to see do especially well? Jim Best ;) Which jockeys will boost your confidence when you see them on your horse? I'm not big on jockeys, I would never back/oppose a horse I fancied fue to bookings but I like Paul Doe and Joe Fanning (especially on front runners). Will try and find the 7lb claimer find on the year early as possible though. Which jockeys will you avoid if possible? Not avoid as such but from the big boys I'm not a fan of Spencer or Moore - ability-wise I am though, if that makes sense. Which racecourse(s) are you planning on visiting for the first time? Unlikely, possibly may go to York. Which racecourse are you most looking forward to returning to? Goodwood - same answer EVERY year. If you could pick a winner in any of the non-classics (lets remove the obvious), which would it be? The Brighton Mile, and the big handicap on the friday at Goodwood (as I will be there. Used to be the Schweppes. Which horse would you love to see win a big prize? Royal Power Some very selfish answers - sorry! :)

Re: Flat Season 2009 ~ Horses To Follow, Antepost Bets, Q & A Adding these ante-post bets in from an earlier thread: 2000 Guineas - Crowded House 12/1 Derby - Crowded House 14/1 Oaks - Leocorno 12/1 I was impressed with Crowded House when he won the Racing Post Trophy at Doncaster at the end of the season and has price has shortened up to 7/1 for both of those races now. Is already proven over a mile if he goes for the Guineas, and has stamina in his pedigree if he goes for the Derby. Leocorno made a winning debut at Doncaster and the RP said she was a rangy filly with plenty of scope. She has stamina on the dam's side to suggest she may see out the trip and will have been well looked after by her excellent trainer.

• 2 weeks later...

Re: Flat Season 2009 ~ Horses To Follow, Antepost Bets, Q & A An unraced horse, Sana Abel, runs today in Yarm 2.20 for the same connections that won the oaks a few of years back and is closely related to that one too. Could be one to see how she gets on through the season. Sana Abel. Massively interested to see this one run. I have heard the odd vibe and this newcomer certainly is bred well enough. Dam won 1000g and oaks, half sister to a number of good sort including ire 1000 g placed horse and also closely releated to oaks winner, eswarath who won the oaks for exactly the same connections. Also significant is to look at future entries and this one is an oaks entry still so must be held in some sort of regard. Actually you can basically get any price for the oaks for what its worth. Starts off over a mile today and whilst could need further in time there are some in this family perfectly good at this distance and as I say it will be interesting to see what the market thinks and how she will get on.Y

Re: Flat Season 2009 ~ Horses To Follow, Antepost Bets, Q & A Sana Abel ran quite an eye cathing race to just be out of the places, sure to come on for that too and should be able to pick up some kind of race at least. Another interesting newish sort although has ran once is Invisible Man: Invisible Man 50/1 totesport for 2000 guineas 5 pts e.w A bit of a wild shot this one and a talking horse if you like but in what really looks an open guineas this year it could be one that emerges and with a possible big run promised tomorrow, it could just be this one. He is extremely well bred and clearly must have been showing something at home to go off just 1/3 for his market bow, remarkably given such odds he lost as he ran third on the a.w and has to go down as disappointing. If he had been any other horse it may have been an ok debut. Anyway its pretty significant I feel that Gosden still thinks it worthy to be in the guineas still. Obviously he has much to prove but it will be worth watching nonetheless to see how he gets on and quite how good he is. Also interestingly he is 50/1 with bookies yet much shorter on the exchanges for the guineas. In a year where there was a more solid feel to this classic I wouldnt be as interested in him but in such an open looking year he could worth watching.

Re: Flat Season 2009 ~ Horses To Follow, Antepost Bets, Q & A I'm joining in the ante-post guessing game and put 1 pt on Debussy for the Derby before he runs in quarter of an hour. Won very impressively in a maiden last time out and 50/1 for the Derby with bet 365. He holds an entry in several top class races, including the Dante as well, and who knows how good he could be. He is in good hands, and we'll have a better idea of his ability shortly.

Re: Flat Season 2009 ~ Horses To Follow, Antepost Bets, Q & A

Shoten now but not my ideal of the winner after that run hang to much in the straight and wasn't impressed with him one bit. Quoted 20/1 now I see from bbc very poor price.
I've not seen the race yet so can't really comment, other than its a best priced 25/1 and 25.0 on the exchanges so the opportunity is there to trade out for a free bet if need be.

• 2 weeks later...

Re: Flat Season 2009 ~ Horses To Follow, Antepost Bets, Q & A had 0.25 pt on Fortuni for the Derby at 160.0 on betfair. Clearly a long shot, but the manner of his win at Lingfield last time out was very, very impressive, he was in a different league to the field and made a mockery of his handicap mark. Half of the reason for this bet is that if Ghanaati can win the 1k Guineas having hacked up in a Kempton maiden, then they one may be able to win a classic too. At the price, only a miniscule stake needed for an interest, even if he never makes it to Epsom.

Re: Flat Season 2009 ~ Horses To Follow, Antepost Bets, Q & A Epsom Derby. KITE WOOD 20/1 EW think this price will disappear after the dante if it runs well, having decent bet on this one, am going to Epsom this year aswell:),hopefully can cheer the beast home, not being put off by this nonsense about Goldolphin ruining it.:ok Epsom Oaks. CUIS GHAIRE 14/1 EW ran well at Newmarket in the 1000, where it looked cooked at the 2f pole but to her credit, got a second wind and stayed on nicely enough to finish 2nd and looks to have a nice profile.

Re: Flat Season 2009 ~ Horses To Follow, Antepost Bets, Q & A Redwood is 33/1 for the Derby with SJ, (EW 1/4 odds 3 places). He doesn't yet hold an entry for Epsom, but if he runs well today in the Dante, could feasibly be supplemented, something trainer barry hills has hinted at so willing to take a chance at the price. He is unbeaten, won a listed race at HQ last time, and should appreciate the step up in trip today.

• 3 weeks later...

Re: Flat Season 2009 ~ Horses To Follow, Antepost Bets, Q & A Royal Hunt Cup Ante-Post Clive Cox's horses are running into form at the moment and i like the look of Soccerjackpot e/w for the RHC. Although its been doing its recent winning on the AW, it beat a consistent animal in Tartan Gigha, who's a fair yardstick. Soccerjackpot 25/1 EW(1/4odds, 4places) Bluesq

• 4 weeks later...

Re: Flat Season 2009 ~ Horses To Follow, Antepost Bets, Q & A Would like to see this thread active :) Some horses that are running tomorrow (or this afternoon since its past midnight :eek) that may catch the eye Polish Steps (Windsor 6.40), Jamie Osbournes sharpest 2 year old:

"One of the sharper two-year-olds - I haven't got so many of that type this year and for that reason I'll mention those that will be in action before the end of June. She's nearly ready and is doing enough to make a good showing on her debut"
Be interesting to watch :) Currently around 10/1 Fonterutoli (4.30 Wolves) - Botti's horse who is showing some potential in his last 3 runs. Going to keep backing this horse till it bloody wins! Looks a very powerful and strong horse and is currently at around 3/1.

Re: Flat Season 2009 ~ Horses To Follow, Antepost Bets, Q & A Jug, i was thinking the same the other day & notebooks is something i am keen on, we dont want this to turn into an inside info thread as that was a disaster last time it ran. Happy for people to note certain horses in here if they have valid reasoning. I noted one on Saturday, didnt write it down & then got pissed in the evening. Have to watch it all over again now to remember the damned horse! I kept saying "next time out, next time out" so i know i saw something.

Re: Flat Season 2009 ~ Horses To Follow, Antepost Bets, Q & A Horses to follow after Pontefract 29/6/09 Hel's Angel ran a cracking race and despite what I said about those coming off the pace it was held up and picked up really well at the finish under a great ride from young Jamie Kyne who is well worth his claim. It had won off 65 but then finished unplaced off 69 and 70 but today raced off 69 and had the jockey taking another 5lb off. Suits being held up and delievered late and is from the Middleham Park outfit that also have the PL horse Dhaular Dhar. I'd be interested in Hel's Angel again, seemed to really go well on the good to firm ground and would possibly get a bit further. I backed Jack My Boy but took 10/3 on course because I thought others would shorten after seeing the fav in the parade ring, it drifted to a best priced 7-1 on course but I really couldn't understand why it drifted, was fine in the paddock and seemed to go to post ok. I will keep an eye on Jack My Boy, it had not acted at Epsom which is understandable as some horses just don't take to that track and was back in class 3 company from a listed race last time out. In that 4th race I felt many looked exposed and fancied the Fahey/Hanagan horse Sioux Rising and actually thought it had lost out in the photo finish. I thought Bobbie Soxer looked ok in the parade ring and also backed it but it was poor and finished last. I didn't fancy Mey Blossom although it had been mentioned in the Racing Post as one that might be overlooked due to the recent form. It is now back down to a winnable mark and should score soon enough, possibly back at this track. The Fahey horse is also worth following. In the 5th I fancied Rocky Heights but refused to take 2-1/9-4 about it in a race like this. I didn't fancy the winner Sparkaway but it won really easily by 4 1/2 lengths and made a mockery of its bottom weight. Some fellas on course managed to get 28-1 about it, finished at 16's. I backed Pattern Mark and Sedaska, the latter was poor but Pattern Mark was held up and then did not have a clear run but was running on well at the end of the race. I'll follow that one over this sort of trip off similar marks. Berriedale also stayed on well and finished just in front of Pattern Mark. I backed Big Apple Boy and Spiritual Art in the 6th race and they finished 1st and last. Big Apple Boy had been running over 1m but fading about 1f/2f out yet had won a maiden race here over 6f. It was not a great field but it won really well from the front by 6 lengths. It burst clear and was eased and I will be backing it if it returns here with 2 course wins now to its name. Spiritual Art had won class 6 and class 5 handicaps really easily under Hayley Turner, was up 12lb but had a 7lb claimer on and got hampered for a run. It was too far out the back to make a challenge and had not broke out of the stalls very well. Could still be worth following in my opinion in class 4/5 races and previously had no experience of gd-fm ground. In the 7th race Princess Aliuska played up in the stalls so only 4 ran. I didn't feel the fav should be odds on based on what it had achieved. Quiquillo had about a stone to find with the fav and I didn't fancy that either. I like Johnstones horses on their 2nd runs as they always seem to improve and I like Joe Fanning from the front and backed both the winner and 2nd, both to win. He made all on Straits of Hormuz, just beating Brilliana by a neck and both showed ability and could be worth following if the handicapper does not overreact. In the final race I backed Inside Story and Pegasus Lad, the latter wasn't good enough but I felt Inside Story was quite unlucky. It was coming from stall 1 and as they broke out of the stalls it got stuck behind horses and I was hoping it would race quite prominently. It was well behind as they turned at the 2f pole and short of room but when seeing daylight it ran on well in the final furlong to finish 4th. I'll be interested in this next time out if it gets a better racing position and a chance to show its true form. Hel's Angel Jack My Boy Sioux Rising Mey Blossom Pattern Mark Big Apple Boy Spiritual Art Straits Of Hormuz Brilliana Inside Story

Horse

Distance

Ground

Class

Comments
Antigua Sunrise 12f Any Class 4/5 Won last 3 on various surfaces, finishing race well in each. Trainer also in form. Won last race off 72, interesting off similar mark. Usually delivered 2f out and runs on well over 12f.
Art Connoisseur 6f Gd-Fm Gp1/Gp2 2nd to Mastercraftsman as 2yr old in Gp 1 race, 7th to Ouqba over 7f, slow pace, form boosted. Won at Ascot over 6f, Gp1 race, back to its best. Suited by quickly run race, comes from off the pace, July Cup possible target.
Ask 12f/14f Gd/Gd-Sft Group 1 Finally won Gp 1 in battling finish with Youmzain, also won well at York when positioned well towards final 2f. Has 2 Gp 1 entries and may run well in Arc De Triomphe, held up too long last year with no chance.
Big Apple Boy 6f Gd-Fm Class 4 I backed Big Apple Boy and Spiritual Art in the 6th race and they finished 1st and last. Big Apple Boy had been running over 1m but fading about 1f/2f out yet had won a maiden race here over 6f. It was not a great field but it won really well from the front by 6 lengths. It burst clear and was eased and I will be backing it if it returns here with 2 course wins now to its name.
Brilliana 1m2f Gd-Fm Class 5 I like Johnstones horses on their 2nd runs as they always seem to improve and I like Joe Fanning from the front and backed both the winner and 2nd, both to win. He made all on Straits of Hormuz, just beating Brilliana by a neck and both showed ability and could be worth following if the handicapper does not overreact.
Capercaillie 5f Gd/Gd-Fm Group races Highly rated by Mark Johnstone, only managed 4th in Queen Mary behind impressive American horse, had won previous 2 races in good style. Beat Reignier at Musselburgh and that was 2nd to Radiohead in Gp2 at Royal Ascot so form boosted. Will win group races in future.
Casual Conquest 12f Good or softer Group races 2nd to Bronze Cannon on seasonal debut but ground was too firm. That horse won Gp 2 at Royal Ascot boosting form. 3rd in English Derby 08 and 2nd in Irish Derby 08. Often tracks leaders but made all on heavy and won by 5l. Arc the target and can go well if getting prominent position.
Crystal Capella 10f/12f Any Group races Won 6 in a row, rallied to beat Dar Re Mi off 108 and showed great determination and attitude to do so. Now rated 116, entered in Pretty Polly stakes.
Dar Re Mi 10f/12f Good Group races 2nd in Gp 1 races to Zarkava and Lush Lashes, 2nd to Crystal Capella at York. Top class horse, entered in Pretty Polly and Princess Of Wales races, has 3 wins and rated 114.
Enticement 1m2f Gd-Sft Gp3/Gp2/Gp1 3rd in Musidora but hated firm ground, won other 2 races, avoided Oaks and was a 310,000 guineas purchase. Still plenty of improvement in this horse when the ground softens, definite future group winner.
Flame Of Gibraltar 10f/12f Good or softer Group races 3 races on Gd-Fm yet seems to need softer than this. 2nd to Flying Cloud off 88 but that had already kicked for home so never catching it. Much better than 88 rating, can win in Group company and was in front of 2 good Stoute horses.
Furmigadelaguista 1m4f Gd-Fm Listed Won well at York on Gd-Sft ground, up 8lb and to listed from class 2 but travelled well, not even given a hard race, stays every inch of the trip, finished well and progressive over this distance and now shown versatility with ground. Melbourne Cup a possibility, definitely worth following over 1m4f.
Hel’s Angel 1m + Gd-Fm Class 5 Hel's Angel ran a cracking race and despite what I said about those coming off the pace it was held up and picked up really well at the finish under a great ride from young Jamie Kyne who is well worth his claim. It had won off 65 but then finished unplaced off 69 and 70 but today raced off 69 and had the jockey taking another 5lb off. Suits being held up and delivered late and is from the Middleham Park outfit that also have the PL horse Dhaular Dhar. I'd be interested in Hel's Angel again, seemed to really go well on the good to firm ground and would possibly get a bit further.
Inside Story 1m Gd-Fm Class 5 In the final race I backed Inside Story and Pegasus Lad, the latter wasn't good enough but I felt Inside Story was quite unlucky. It was coming from stall 1 and as they broke out of the stalls it got stuck behind horses and I was hoping it would race quite prominently. It was well behind as they turned at the 2f pole and short of room but when seeing daylight it ran on well in the final furlong to finish 4th. I'll be interested in this next time out if it gets a better racing position and a chance to show its true form.
Jack My Boy 6f Gd-Fm Class 3 I backed Jack My Boy but took 10/3 on course because I thought others would shorten after seeing the fav in the parade ring, it drifted to a best priced 7-1 on course but I really couldn't understand why it drifted, was fine in the paddock and seemed to go to post ok. I will keep an eye on Jack My Boy, it had not acted at Epsom, which is understandable as some horses just don't take to that track and was back in class 3 company from a listed race last time out.
Mey Blossom 6f Gd-Fm Class 3 In that 4th race I felt many looked exposed and fancied the Fahey/Hanagan horse Sioux Rising and actually thought it had lost out in the photo finish. I thought Bobbie Soxer looked ok in the parade ring and also backed it but it was poor and finished last. I didn't fancy Mey Blossom although it had been mentioned in the Racing Post as one that might be overlooked due to the recent form. It is now back down to a winnable mark and should score soon enough, possibly back at this track. The Fahey horse is also worth following.
Mr Crystal 2m2f Gd-Fm 4 2nd twice off 77 rating, lost position and shuffled back in the field when turning for home, had to switch to the rail but ran on again and just denied. Beaten 7l last time out but was 18l clear of the horse in 3rd. Suited by uphill finish, stays well, improving and worth following despite imminent raise in handicap.
No Hubris 6f Gd/Gd-Fm Listed/Gp 3 Impressive at York on debut, well backed, forged clear. 6th in Coventry behind impressive Canford Cliffs, tried to go pace with winner and faded. Entered in 2010 Derby, can win before then.
Nosedive 5f Gd/Gd-Fm Listed/Group Won maiden well and finished strongly. Ran well and 4th in Gp 2 at Royal Ascot behind Radiohead, hampered, unable to keep momentum going, would have been closer with clear run. Worth following again next time out.
Pattern Mark 1m4f Gd-Fm Class 5 I backed Pattern Mark and Sedaska, the latter was poor but Pattern Mark was held up and then did not have a clear run but was running on well at the end of the race. I'll follow that one over this sort of trip off similar marks. Berriedale also stayed on well and finished just in front of Pattern Mark.
Sans Frontieres 10f/12f Good Group races Staying on in the craven, stepped up to 10f at York and finished 3rd, held up too long. Avoided Epsom, should suit York/Ascot and entered in Irish Derby. Dante form not too strong but improving horse and worth following.
Shemoli 1m4f Gd-Fm 5 Raced prominently, stayed well up the Ponty hill, eased down at the finish. Unable to quicken past horses at Donny yet travelled really well. Likes the gd-fm ground, still progressive and need to check for draw in future races and other front runners. Change of tactics worked well and one to follow up under similar circumstances.
Sioux Rising 6f Gd-Fm Class 3 In that 4th race I felt many looked exposed and fancied the Fahey/Hanagan horse Sioux Rising and actually thought it had lost out in the photo finish. I thought Bobbie Soxer looked ok in the parade ring and also backed it but it was poor and finished last. I didn't fancy Mey Blossom although it had been mentioned in the Racing Post as one that might be overlooked due to the recent form. It is now back down to a winnable mark and should score soon enough, possibly back at this track. The Fahey horse is also worth following.
Spiekeroog 1m4f Gd-Fm 5 Form of debut worked out well. Held up here, pushed along early and looked beaten but finished like a train up the hill. May have needed the experience, certainly changed gears at the final furlong and one to keep an eye on in the future on fast ground, may need to race more prominently.
Spiritual Art 6f Gd-Fm Class 4 I backed Big Apple Boy and Spiritual Art in the 6th race and they finished 1st and last. Spiritual Art had won class 6 and class 5 handicaps really easily under Hayley Turner, was up 12lb but had a 7lb claimer on and got hampered for a run. It was too far out the back to make a challenge and had not broke out of the stalls very well. Could still be worth following in my opinion in class 4/5 races and previously had no experience of gd-fm ground.
Straits Of Hormuz 1m2f Gd-Fm Class 5 I like Johnstones horses on their 2nd runs as they always seem to improve and I like Joe Fanning from the front and backed both the winner and 2nd, both to win. He made all on Straits of Hormuz, just beating Brilliana by a neck and both showed ability and could be worth following if the handicapper does not overreact.
Suzis Decision 10f/12f Gd/Gd-Fm Listed 3rd to Crystal Capella, that one now Gp2 and Gp 3 winner. Won 2 listed races, both over 12f but also won over 10f. Finishes its races well, needs a track that suits hold up horses ideally, now rated 107, last win off 100 but won well by over 2l, still improving and one to follow.
Swiss Diva 6f Gd-Sft 3/2/Listed Won easily at Lingfield, disappointed on ground too firm but won at York in class 2 race off 91 rating. Up to 101 now, listed races from now on and capable off this rating, still improving. Spencer/Moore both won on it.
Tyrrells Wood 17f/22f Gd/Gd-Fm 4/2 Beat Mr Crystal by 7l off 75 rating at Ponty. Followed up with 2nd in class 2 off 83 at Royal Ascot over further. Stays all day, only 4 yr old, rapidly improving and one to follow in all staying races. Also finished 8th in Gd1 Triumph hurdle.

Re: Flat Season 2009 ~ Horses To Follow, Antepost Bets, Q & A Need to update this as havent done for a few weeks now, Fanjura, Alanabrooke (removed from list) & Acquisition have all won in last 3 weeks. Notebook Horses (comments on recent performances) Fullandby - Ran Friday 17/4 (5f, Cl2, G/S), Ran Sun 2/5 (6f, Cl2, G/f) - last, dwelt at the start ran poorly. Ran 23/5 (5f, Cl2, Gd) 2nd btn nk at Bev, Ran 30/5 (5f, Cl1 Gd) 7th btn 5l at Hayd, Ran 27/6 Grp3 (soft) btn 7L at Newcastle, last of 7. Enroller - Ran Sat 18/4 (1m 4f, Cl1, S), back on soft going. Ran 20/6, Ascot 1m 4f Grp 2, btn 6.5L. Medici Pearl - Ran Sat 18/4 (1m, Cl2, S) back on soft ground over 7f. Ran Sat 1/5 (1m, Cl2, G/f) & at York (1m) last week - wait for soft & 7f!! Ran 14/5 (1m, Cl1, Gd) 7th btn 6L at York. Ran 23/6, Newcastle, 1m2f, G/F 3rd, listed race, btn 6.5L. Still waiting for drop to 7f on easier ground, Fanjura - Ran Sat 18/4 (1m, Cl2, S) back on good ground over 7f. Ran 7/5 (1m2f, Cl2, G/f) btn 4.5L at Chester. Ran 13/6 York, Class2, 1m 1f, Gd, 16th of 20. Ran 3/7 Sandown 1m 2f, Class 2, won @ 14/1 beat Greylami o.5L. Sariska - Ran Sat 18/4 (7f, Cl1, S) slowly away, capable of much better. Thurs 13/5 Won at York winning Oaks trial. Will go to the Oaks now. Ran 5/6 - won the Oaks at Epsom Grp 1 (1m4f, Grp 1, Gd). Star Ruby - Ran Fri 24/4 (1m 2f, Cl4, G) won well, front 2 pulled 8L clear Thurs 13/5 2nd to Sariska at York & worth following this season. Hidden Brief - Ran Fri 24/4 (1m 2f, Cl4, G) 2nd to Star ruby. Disappointed at Chester meeting. REMOVED - 11/6 won class 5 @ 2/5. Rackiteer - Ran Fri 24/4 (1m, Cl2, G) won by 6L pulling away. REMOVED Sirens Gift - Ran Tues 28/4 (5f, Cl1, G/F) follow in sprints 5 or 6f. Ran 30/5 & 6/6, needs a drop in class, is on a winning mark but doesnt seem to be able to win. Ran 20/6 5f Ayr, Listed 4th beaten 4.25L. Strike the deal (5f, Cl1, g/f) - looks a 6f horse, ran well latest run over 6f at York on 13/5, could be an interest at Royal Ascot on fast ground over 6f. Won at Lingfield Class 3 conditions contest. Was hoping this would develop into a group peformer this season. Ran 20/6 Gp1 Ascot, 7th of 14 beaten less than 5L. Desert Creek - Ran Mon 4/5 (1m, Cl3, G/f). Can improve again. Won at Haydock (1m, Cl2, Hvy) Worth following again. Ran 18/6 Class 2, Ascot, 21st of 30, btn 12.75L, drawn high but never in the race. Emirates Roadshow - Ran Mon 4/5 (1m, Cl3, G/f). chased home Desert Creek, back on good or some cut. RAn 6/6 at Doncaster 3rd btn 3.5L (8f, Cl2, G/s). Wil win back in Class 3. Ran 18/6 Ascot Class 2, 7th of 30 btn 4.75L drop to class 3 will benefit now. Tawaabb Ran Mon 4/5 (5f, Cl5, g/f) would have won but for greeness.Won at Leicester (cl4, 5f, Gd) won by 3.5l & worth watachig again this season. Ran 18/6 Norfolk Stakes Grp 2, 5f, 3rd btn 2.5L. AlanBrooke Ran Fri 15/5 (1m3f, cl4, G/Soft) should have won, btn shd, follow as ground may have been a bit too soft. Ran 6/6 Musselburgh flopped - REMOVED - Won at Sandown 3/7 1m 6f Class 4 Gd, Blinkered 1st time. Duncan Ran 10/5 - very impressive, Royal Ascot next. 4th in the Coronation cup at Epsom (1m4f, Grp1, Gd). Ran well only btn 0.5L, can win again this season in group class. Latest noted horses Main Aim - I think the Golden Jubilee may be the target but a G1 may be too tough at this stage. Ran 16/6 Grp 1 at Ascot 1m, 4th btn 2.5L to Paco Boy. Bushman - It led until 2f out & then kept battling away & should win a race at some point this season. Peter Island - Not sure if anyone saw Peter Island streak to the front at Goodwood only to be caught at the 1f pole by the other runners. This was a jump in class from its usual class 4 runs but when back in that company should be kept an eye on IMO, will need to drop a few pounds as highest win rating was 79. Ran off 86 latest. Ran 25/6 Warwick 4th btn 5.75l 6F, G/F Class 3 off 85. Acquisition - Beaten approx a length into 4th, but was the one making eye catching progress after eventual winner Pictorial under a typical Ryan Moore ride had taken the race up 3f out. Ridden hands & heels this horse would have won with another 50 yards & for its first run on a racecourse over 1m2f, the horse looks to have a good future. It has very decent breeding & will get a mile and a half. Ran 18/6 Class 5 1m 4f G/F by 1.5L at 4/6. Shakalaka - The 2nd to Pictorial should also be good enough to pick up a race.

• 1 month later...

Re: Flat Season 2009 ~ Horses To Follow, Antepost Bets, Q & A Ante-post - St Leger - Father Time 14/1 Sky Meets several historical trends, namely ran in the Great Voltigeur at York, has a group win to his name, and is not a filly. Shaped as if needing further in the Voltigeur and Cecil has had the St Leger in mind for him for some time.

• 2 weeks later...

Re: Flat Season 2009 ~ Horses To Follow, Antepost Bets, Q & A I was thinking about starting a new thread called Eyecatchers or something then though this could just be used I do not have enough time to watch racing most of the time, but if people watch racing all the time or happen to catch an eyecatching performance can post it up Even if they run on well into 5th or something, just ones to follow? Anyone in?

I was thinking about starting a new thread called Eyecatchers or something then though this could just be used I do not have enough time to watch racing most of the time, but if people watch racing all the time or happen to catch an eyecatching performance can post it up Even if they run on well into 5th or something, just ones to follow? Anyone in?
That was the idea of the thread, me and Bowles have put some horses up to follow previously but it is quite an underused thread. The thread should really be used like BTP's diary as a notebook of performances that are specifically underrated/overrated. :ok

• 2 weeks later...

Re: Flat Season 2009 ~ Horses To Follow, Antepost Bets, Q & A I have taken an ante post bet out on saga de tercey for the Cesarewitch before todays trial, I just feel he is improving well ahead of the handicapper and could well continue to do so to land a valuable race and trip is no concern seems to be full of stamina! 1pt e/w saga de tercey 12/1 bet365 for cesarewitch

• 2 weeks later...

I just dont have time anymore but this would be ideal to add eyecatchers too This thread has hardly got any views as well really in comparison
I have started a rather labourious quest that I can't honestly see me even getting off the ground myself due to my daunting work commitments, but it's tentatively titled "The Long and Winding Road to Cheltenham 2010". Basically we have the ante post lists already for all the big races, I wanted, for the first time, to really follow from October all the main protagonists, rating and evaluating their merits, and looking for potential dark horses from an early date. Would it be something we could do with a thread like this?

• 4 weeks later...

Re: Flat Season 2009 ~ Horses To Follow, Antepost Bets, Q & A One for the notebooks before we leave the flat season. Lets hope it winters well in Dubai & comes back to win a classic next year

Friday October 23 2009 i_rresult.gif Doncaster 14:20 - Result Uk Coal E.b.f. Maiden Fillies' Stakes (round) £8000 added, 2yo only, 1m, Class 4, £5181 penalty, 21 ran Going: Good (Round Course: Good to Soft, Good in places) i_time.gif Winning Time: 1m 38.89s

Pos.Dr.Dist.HorseWtJockeyTrainerAgeSP
1 16Modeyra 9-0 L Dettori Saeed Suroor 29/2
tracked leaders, led just under 2f out, kept on inside final furlong opened 6/1 touched 4/1