Learning Poker

RuleBritannia

Re: Learning Poker General question here. I don't want to start ANOTHER thread..... What is your least favourite hand? I have gotten to despise 99 and QQ. Very rarely win with either hand and don't really know how to play them. For some reason, I get the 2 of them as pocket pairs more often than any other pocket pair and it seems that no matter what way I play them, I cannot win. :lol Have also found myself folding them, and it seems that when i do, I flop something big. :( Do any of you (who take time to read this thread) have any hands like this, that you do not like?

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Learning Poker

For some reason' date=' I get the 2 of them as pocket pairs more often than any other pocket pair[/quote'] Utter nonsense ;) In general, poker is a game of aggression. However, multi-way and deep, don't be scared of playing hands like 99 and even QQ passively with a view to "set mining" - just call/limp and if you flop your set, then look to get your opponents to put as much money in as soon as possible. If you dont, be happy to check/fold, especially with overcards on the board. If you're heads up and short stacked, then you want to play aggressively - raise or fold.

Utter nonsense ;) In general, poker is a game of aggression. However, multi-way and deep, don't be scared of playing hands like 99 and even QQ passively with a view to "set mining" - just call/limp and if you flop your set, then look to get your opponents to put as much money in as soon as possible. If you dont, be happy to check/fold, especially with overcards on the board. If you're heads up and short stacked, then you want to play aggressively - raise or fold.
Could it be that I I think Im getting them more often than other pocket pairs due to constantly being beat on them, making them notable? I like JJ and 1010 though, and tend to play JJ quite aggresively, and when out of position with 1010 I will raise 4 or 5x BB.

Could it be that I I think Im getting them more often than other pocket pairs due to constantly being beat on them, making them notable? I like JJ and 1010 though, and tend to play JJ quite aggresively, and when out of position with 1010 I will raise 4 or 5x BB.
Over a large enough sample, you will get every pocket pair as frequently as each other (once in every 221 hands). THat will never change and never be different. Over a small sample, it may be that you have got some pocket pairs more frequently than others, due to short term variance. This does not mean that you are more (or even less) likely to get them again in the future at a different rate to what you would expect.

• 4 weeks later...

Re: Learning Poker Just to bump this up in light of recent results.... Still on a massive high after last night..... but reality bites home today, and the hard work starts again now and the learning continues. Last progress report I was playing 20c SnG's with some MTT's thrown in. I play the occasional SnG now, generally a 30man $1 game. Been playing more MTT's with buy ins ranging from freerolls, up to $5 + $0.50 (some excpetions made if excceptional value, like the Super Series last night @ $7.50 + $0.75. Also been dabbling with the PLO games at $0.05/$0.10 and have done ok with them so far.... bought in for total of $6 and have about $13 profit in total so happy enough with that. Going to leave them alone for a while now though, and concentrate on the MTT's for the time being. BR before last night was $230.40. Now after last nights winnings is $744.22. Gave Mrs RB some money off it to go get her hair done :lol :lol, but putting that back in on Thursday, so that will still be the Bankroll. Although, sticking to 5% I can afford more, I am not going to play more. I am going to be strict and stick with the games I am playing now and still make my maximum buy in @ $5.00 + $0.50 unless exceptional value. One thing I do know..... no matter how good things seem, a downswing is just around the corner and in Poker.... the learning NEVER stops.

Although, sticking to 5% I can afford more, I am not going to play more. I am going to be strict and stick with the games I am playing now and still make my maximum buy in @ $5.00 + $0.50 unless exceptional value.
In my experience there is very little difference between a $5 and a $10 SnG. If you are crushing the $5 buy-ins, and it looks like you are, you should have no trouble showing a profit at the $10 level. I wouldn't want to break up a winning streak though. Well done so far, by the way. :ok Duck to water springs to mind.

In my experience there is very little difference between a $5 and a $10 SnG. If you are crushing the $5 buy-ins, and it looks like you are, you should have no trouble showing a profit at the $10 level. I wouldn't want to break up a winning streak though. Well done so far, by the way. :ok Duck to water springs to mind.
Thanks mate, but no I wouldnt say Im crushing $5 games, as I dont play $5 SnG's. Max SnG I have played is $1 and I have varied success there. I have no doubt I played well in the Super Series game last night, as luck alone wouldnt have got me into that position, not after 5 hours play. That being said, I did hit a couple of real breaks earlier in the tournament. If I can find the HH for it, Ill post one in particular where I was down to about 10th with 12 left or something like that and the blinds were getting altogether higher.... On the other hand, when I got onto tthe FT, I reckon I dominated the FT. (not bragging there, but I went from 50k chips to 360k before my disconnection.) One thing I done differently last night on the FT as opposed to other FT's I have been on was, I onlt played hands I needed to. Hands I wasnt gonna fold, that would have been classed as scared money if I had folded. HU, I was 100k down to start with, again would have been ahead but for the disconnection, but I almost pulled it back a few times, just couldnt quite get there in the end.

Re: Learning Poker RB I've been impressed with the way you've been playing in the Stan James games. Only been at your table acouple of times but you seem to be playing a very solid style poker of poker and when the blinds are high enough you're open shoving which a lot of beginners never do and get blinded away. Good stuff son!