Cricket: New Zealand vs India Twenty20 Internationals & ODI Series

New Zealand and India play 2 twenty20 internationals followed by a 5 game ODI series which begins Wednesday morning UK time and as ever is live on Sky. Schedule:

February 2009
Wed 25 icon_dn.gif 19:00 local, 06:00 GMT 1st T20I - New Zealand v India AMI Stadium, Christchurch
Fri 27 icon_dn.gif 19:00 local, 06:00 GMT 2nd T20I - New Zealand v India Westpac Stadium, Wellington Originally scheduled for March 6, 2009
March 2009
Tue 3 icon_dn.gif 14:00 local, 01:00 GMT 1st ODI - New Zealand v India McLean Park, Napier Originally scheduled for March 8, 2009
Fri 6 icon_dn.gif 14:00 local, 01:00 GMT 2nd ODI - New Zealand v India Westpac Stadium, Wellington Originally schedule for March 17, 2009
Sun 8 icon_dn.gif 14:00 local, 01:00 GMT 3rd ODI - New Zealand v India AMI Stadium, Christchurch Originally scheduled for March 20, 2009
Wed 11 icon_dn.gif 14:00 local, 01:00 GMT 4th ODI - New Zealand v India Seddon Park, Hamilton
Sat 14 icon_dn.gif 14:00 local, 01:00 GMT 5th ODI - New Zealand v India Eden Park, Auckland

Re: Cricket: New Zealand vs India Twenty20 Internationals & ODI Series Going to go with just one for the 1st twenty20 because NZ are up in the air about their team. 5pts India to win 1st Twenty20 8/13 Ladbrokes I'm not a huge fan of taking away sides at such short odds in twenty20 cricket but I will allow myself a slight exception here because India are very strong in this format and they've picked a pretty strong squad. In fact, Tendulkar aside, it's probably the strongest squad they could pick. New Zealand have decided to rest one or two. There's no James Franklin or Kyle Mills or indeed Jeetan Patel for this series. New Zealand also have injury doubts over Ross Taylor and Jacob Oram for this 1st match and the gut feeling is with a big tour coming up that neither will be risked unless they are totally fit. India don't seem to have any problems and given that they'll defend their world crown in a little over 3 months time I'm sure they'll use this as a decent run out before that and I think they'll come out with the win.

Re: Cricket: New Zealand vs India Twenty20 Internationals & ODI Series Disappointing batting display from India on Wednesday. I'm prepared to go with them again though. 4pts India to win 2nd Twenty20 8/11 Stan James India went out way too gung ho in the 1st twenty20 and paid the price in a big way. They should realise that they don't need to do that because they've got such a long and classy batting lineup that runs will come naturally from. The boundaries here are nothing like big enough for their big hitters so if they pace their innings properly then this 8/11 could look huge. New Zealand are no mugs either. Their bowling is deceptively clever and they have the ability to be tight but equally if they get it slightly wrong they can go for plenty. They have lots of batting depth too although not quite big hitting depth in the India mould. I'm not sure New Zealand can improve from Wednesday's effort but India can improve in all 3 departments. India could tinker with their side to get an extra bowler in there but all in all I think they'll come on for the run and level the twenty20 leg of the tour here. 5pts Over 11.5 6's 5/6 Blue Square The boundaries here at the Westpac Stadium aren't quite as small as they were in Christchurch but they are still plenty short enough. It's another rugby ground we're playing on after all. There were a pretty sick 24 6's in the opening twenty20 at the AMI on Wednesday and if India bat 1st and go mental again they really could cover this spread on their own. It's not the biggest target, especially with the talent on show in this match and I'm pretty confident we'll get at least 12 maximums.

Re: Cricket: New Zealand vs India Twenty20 Internationals & ODI Series New Zealand Vs India 1st ODI looks to be a tough one to call, India , good solid side but have been outplayed in the 20/20 games by NZ, who also have home advantage, so overall both teams will feel they can win the match. Think the full 50 overs will give Sehwag and Gambhir the time to settle in to play the big shots. Both teams have big hitters but im going for India to score more 6's. Sehwag, Gambhir, Tendulkar, Yuvraj and Dhoni all capable of clearing the ropes, if McCullum can be disposed of quickly this will look very tasty. India score most sixes @ 10/11.

Re: Cricket: New Zealand vs India Twenty20 Internationals & ODI Series An unlucky 2nd twenty20 for me the other night. India lost froma superb position and I was a 6 short :wall. So I'm -14pts coming into the ODI series where I'm going with 1 outright. 2pts S.Tendulkar Top India Series Batsman 11/2 Stan James Someone's had a beer to two too many when they've priced this up. 11/2 on in my mind the best batsman to have graced the modern game :eek. It would be a value price if he was batting down the order but to be opening and still be 11/2 is nothing short of lunacy whether this wins or loses. Sachin has the experience of playing in NZ conditions which not everyone in this side has and with Sehwag going off his tits at the other end he can calmly get into a roll in his innings before going mad towards the end. Sachin is still so classy and full of quality and still scores stack loads of runs at the top level and at 11/2 he's the pick for the India series batting honours.

Re: Cricket: New Zealand vs India Twenty20 Internationals & ODI Series 3 for the 1st ODI. 3pts New Zealand to win 1st ODI 11/8 Totesport New Zealand won the two twenty20 matches fairly comfortably. They only lost 5 wickets in either of the matches which is a very good effort. He says he's not in form but I almost like the way McCullum played in those matches with him hitting quickfire but very solid half centuries to hold the innings together. If he bats like that in the ODI's then NZ will be a really tough side to beat. NZ will make two changes for this game. Nathan McCullum will make way for the hero of the Australia series Grant Elliott while Kyle Mills will come back in for either Tim Southee or Ian Butler. India will make a couple of changes too with Sachin Tendulkar replacing Ravinder Jadeja and Praveen Kumar or Munaf Patel replacing Ishant Sharma who is out injured. Irfan Pathan isn't a shoo in to play either but the fact he bats and bowls could keep him into the side. India have a lot of depth to their batting but I'm full of respect for New Zealand. There's no massive stars there in terms of say a Tendulkar or a Ponting but they are very tough to beat. Ross Taylor is a great player and with Ryder, McCullum, Guptill, Oram and Elliott in that top 6 that's pretty decent. They play their home conditions very well and are tough to beat and I'll take them to go 1-0 up here. 4pts Over 11.5 6's Evs Blue Square I'm not sure if McLean Park in Napier is smaller than the AMI Stadium in Christchurch but if it isn't it's not a whole lot bigger. The pitches here though are always excellent batting strips. So much so that 300 is often considered only par. We saw 11 6's when New Zealand played the West Indies here earlier this year and the rain deprived us of 15 overs in that match. Previous matches here have seen over 11 6's and the two sides laid down a marker for their big hitting in that Christchurch twenty20 and all things considered I think we'll see 12 6's or more. 4pts Y.Singh's Performance Pts 41&Over 8/11 Bet365 Points are scored as follows: 1pt per run, 10pts per catch & 20pts per wicket. Anyone who reads stuff I write knows I'm a massive fan of Yuvraj Singh's. I have been ever since he hit that 69 in the Natwest final at Lords in 2002. I love watching him bat. He picks up on length so quickly and he hits a cricket ball like very few I've seen and none of it is slogging either. Another thing I like about him is he's a 3D cricketer. He bowls his left arm spin and he's a mighty fine fielder too. If he gets in and gets going with the bat then this 41 will be polished off quickly but he's got other scoring methods so I'll take the over here.

Re: Cricket: New Zealand vs India Twenty20 Internationals & ODI Series I got done over by the rain again in Napier. The Yuvraj bet was void but the other two were settled as losers :eyes. -7 for that game and -21 for the series coming into this 2nd ODI where I'm going with 2 bets. 4pts India Most 6's 5/6 Blue Square In all 3 matches these two have played on this tour India have won the 6's match very easily. 13-11, 6-3 and 6-0. India have the more naturally aggressive and bigger hitting batsmen than New Zealand and it's showing so far. They could be helped in the 6 hitting stakes by Brendon McCullum not likely to play in this match as he's a dangerman when it comes to clearing the ropes for New Zealand. The recent history between these two suggests India will score the most 6's and with NZ liking to chase and generally the teams setting the totals seemingly score the most 6's I'll take India to win the 6's contest here. 4pts Y.Singh's Performance Pts 44&Over 5/6 Bet365 Points are scored as follows: 1pt per run, 10pts per catch & 20pts per wicket. I said pretty much all I needed to about this bet in the last game. Yuvraj showed in the twenty20 here that these ropes aren't anything like big enough for him and I expect him to contribute fully with the bat in this match. He showed in Napier how his left arm spin can be a useful weapon too and can easily bring him wickets. He has 2 powerful methods of scoring and that's enough for me to take the overs here.

Re: Cricket: New Zealand vs India Twenty20 Internationals & ODI Series All bets were void the other night. Running pretty late for the 3rd ODI which begins in just under 2hrs so apologies for anyone who can't get on. I'm going with 3. 4pts India -2.5wickets/20.5runs 17/20 Sportingbet I've been burnt by India a fair bit on this tour but since the ODI's have started I've been really impressed by their batting. They've been going at over 6 an over throughout this ODI series which is pretty much the least they'll need here. They're not losing wickets either which is the best thing. They look like being unchanged for this match too which I think is fine because the medium pace with control of Praveen Kumar and Munaf Patel will probably go better in these conditions than the pace of Ishant Sharma who isn't fully fit. New Zealand are an under rated side and are very good in their own conditions but I can't see how they can contain this India batting lineup on this ground. I know they won the twenty20 here but India were reckless in their approach that day but seem to have grown up a bit since then. Don't get me wrong, New Zealand can bat but I think we could be talking 350+ here if India go to the form they have been and that will be enough to cover the handicap. 5pts Over 11.5 6's 8/11 Skybet Skybet have offered an interesting line here. There were 24 6's in the twenty20 here and while there won't be that many again, you'd have to say that eventually this total will be within reach. India are likely to contribute quite a few towards this total and New Zealand have some hitters themselves. Sometimes you get a sticky pitch with these drop in pitches in New Zealand but the wickets so far this year both in this series and the West Indies one earlier in the year have been very good. Another very good wicket here should see us clear 11 6's. 3pts M.Dhoni's Performance Pts 49&Over Evs Bet365 Points are scored as follows: 1pt per run, 10pts per catch & 25pts per stumping. Mahendra Singh Dhoni leads this Indian side very responsibly and he's done away with the care free approach to his batting and inded turned himself into one of the best ODI batsmen in the world. He floats up and down the Indian order but that's fine with me because he's likely to come in and be able to build his innings rather than have to go mental from the off. He's in good form with the bat as his 80 odd in the opening ODI shows and he could easily go past this total with the bat. However he's a very good wicket keeper who stands up to the medium pace and will be keeping to a potential 5 spinners in the match so stumpings are quite possible. He's in good touch with all sides of his game at the minute and I'll take him to cover 49pts.

Re: Cricket: New Zealand vs India Twenty20 Internationals & ODI Series

All bets were void the other night. Running pretty late for the 3rd ODI which begins in just under 2hrs so apologies for anyone who can't get on. I'm going with 3. 4pts India -2.5wickets/20.5runs 17/20 Sportingbet I've been burnt by India a fair bit on this tour but since the ODI's have started I've been really impressed by their batting. They've been going at over 6 an over throughout this ODI series which is pretty much the least they'll need here. They're not losing wickets either which is the best thing. They look like being unchanged for this match too which I think is fine because the medium pace with control of Praveen Kumar and Munaf Patel will probably go better in these conditions than the pace of Ishant Sharma who isn't fully fit. New Zealand are an under rated side and are very good in their own conditions but I can't see how they can contain this India batting lineup on this ground. I know they won the twenty20 here but India were reckless in their approach that day but seem to have grown up a bit since then. Don't get me wrong, New Zealand can bat but I think we could be talking 350+ here if India go to the form they have been and that will be enough to cover the handicap. 5pts Over 11.5 6's 8/11 Skybet Skybet have offered an interesting line here. There were 24 6's in the twenty20 here and while there won't be that many again, you'd have to say that eventually this total will be within reach. India are likely to contribute quite a few towards this total and New Zealand have some hitters themselves. Sometimes you get a sticky pitch with these drop in pitches in New Zealand but the wickets so far this year both in this series and the West Indies one earlier in the year have been very good. Another very good wicket here should see us clear 11 6's. 3pts M.Dhoni's Performance Pts 49&Over Evs Bet365 Points are scored as follows: 1pt per run, 10pts per catch & 25pts per stumping. Mahendra Singh Dhoni leads this Indian side very responsibly and he's done away with the care free approach to his batting and inded turned himself into one of the best ODI batsmen in the world. He floats up and down the Indian order but that's fine with me because he's likely to come in and be able to build his innings rather than have to go mental from the off. He's in good form with the bat as his 80 odd in the opening ODI shows and he could easily go past this total with the bat. However he's a very good wicket keeper who stands up to the medium pace and will be keeping to a potential 5 spinners in the match so stumpings are quite possible. He's in good touch with all sides of his game at the minute and I'll take him to cover 49pts.
awesome stuff kev,:clap think they set a WR number of sixes hit between them in a single game, what a game, shot of the day, was Yuvraj's little flick over mid-on that ended up in the middle tier of the stands.:lol

Re: Cricket: New Zealand vs India Twenty20 Internationals & ODI Series Cheers guys. What a game of cricket that was :eek. Sachin's innings was a thing of beauty both to watch and from a betting view :lol. If he hadn't retired hurt he'd have got to 200 :loon. Hopefully his injury isn't bad enough to keep him out of the side because he's in an excellent position to bring in the 11/2 series bet. +10.04 for the match so I've wiped out half the losses from the series with 2 matches to go. -10.96 for the series now. Hopefully the rain can stay away and we can get that back.

Re: Cricket: New Zealand vs India Twenty20 Internationals & ODI Series There's an annoying lack of markets around at the minute. Having to do my bets now because I'm off to Nottingham tonight. Should be back to check the markets though in the hope for some more. 3pts New Zealand to win 4th ODI 7/4 Boylesports Must win game for New Zealand who've changed their bowling attack around for this game. Ian Butler and Tim Southee have been dumped. Ewen Thompson and Daniel Vettori come back into the side. Vettori being a huge boost. India will be without Tendulkar which is a blow to both them and my outright bet so Gambhir will open the innings. Rohit Sharma is likely to come in for Sachin. New Zealand have a very good record on this ground and I see this game all about their bowlers. If they can restrict India a bit more, which with no Tendulkar to flay them everywhere you'd suggest they should be able to then they've shown they can score quickly and I'd expect them to win this one. 4pts Y.Singh's Performance Pts 44&Over 5/6 Bet365 Points are scored as follows: 1pt per run, 10pts per catch & 20pts per wicket. I deserted Yuvraj in the last game until he found some form with the bat. He's found that in a big way and I think he'll carry on from there here on what is likely to be a very good batting pitch with once again very short boundaries. No Tendulkar will see him up in the order and with 10 overs to bowl after he bats I'll go over 44. 1pt ew S.Raina Top India Batsman 6/1 Coral (1/5 1,2,3) Suresh Raina has gone off his tits in this series. He's clattered boundaries by the bucket load. Here he's likely to bat at number 3 so he won't need to come in and go mad, he can build an innings like he did in the opening twenty20. Raina's in top form and looks a good ew bet here.

Re: Cricket: New Zealand vs India Twenty20 Internationals & ODI Series The rain continues to defy me in this series. As it stands, the NZ bet is settled as a loser which I've no complaints with, only frustration that they changed their normal tactic when winning the toss :eyes, and Raina top bat has been settled as a loser too although I think Corals should've paid out on him as a dead heat for 3rd. It won't be much of a return but with the rain killing me like it has I'll take anything :lol. I've emailed them about that but I'll settle it as a loser until I hear from them. The Yuvraj bet was void so -5 for the match and back to -15.96 for the series. I'm going to have a good look around and see if there's any markets which can be exploited during these rain matches before the last ODI which is on Saturday. Worse still, Sachin missed the 4th ODI and the only guy who was realistically in with a chance of catching him in the series batting was Sehwag who decided to hit 125. As good a 125 as it was, it didn't do the Sachin bet any good :(.

Re: Cricket: New Zealand vs India Twenty20 Internationals & ODI Series I'm not going with anything tonight. Rain is forecast again which I'm fed up of being on the wrong side of. I would've been interested in a 6's line but there isn't one so I'll cut my losses. Hopefully Tendulkar plays and beats Sehwag by 15 to bring the outright in.

Re: Cricket: New Zealand vs India Twenty20 Internationals & ODI Series Tendulkar never played in the last game so he never got the chance to top score. Pity as he was home and hosed if he'd play either of the 2 matches. -17.96 for the series which was about as frustrating a series as I can remember betting wise.