Holy Grail Total Corners

muppet77

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Re: Total Corner spreads: is this the Holy Grail? 323 bets, +25% yield. HELP NEEDE

yes zero' date=' that's my point. its not a smooth topped curve.[/quote'] Do you have stats giving the average number of corners per match for different leagues, and the frequency with which each corner value occurs? I'd be interested in seeing them, as I have done some investigation on the matter, and it is heavily Poissonian from what I have seen.

Re: Total Corner spreads: is this the Holy Grail? 323 bets, +25% yield. HELP NEEDE

22,000 games, from 10-20 leagues. notice the blip
An interesting aberration... However, the rest of the points are poissonian around the mean, so all it would take is an exception for the specific dip-value in each league, then the rest of the probabilities could be calculated poissonially. I don't use excel for calculations personally, I write all my models in python, it's much more versatile for such things, so I don't know how you'd go about it in excel.

agreed - could be chance variation as more games hover around 9-11. As there's more results within the distribution this could lead to the blip.
Also, it is the combination of two actual distributions of each team in a single match, each with its own expectation, which can cause a multi-peak feature.

An interesting aberration... However, the rest of the points are poissonian around the mean, so all it would take is an exception for the specific dip-value in each league, then the rest of the probabilities could be calculated poissonially. I don't use excel for calculations personally, I write all my models in python, it's much more versatile for such things, so I don't know how you'd go about it in excel.
dead easy, excel has a poisson function and the tweak is also a synch. thanks.

If he can beat the spreads then I'd have thought the bookies would be not better off...
Sure, but with the extra step of applying poisson to means, and a larger overround, your edge can soon disappear.

Re: Total Corner spreads: is this the Holy Grail? 323 bets, +25% yield. HELP NEEDE I have only tried poisson with the leagues lumped together which made a loss. I will look at separate poissons for each league with a dip adjuster this evening and post back here.

Date

League

Home

Away

Line

Under Odds

actual

me predict

27/3/10

Scotland

Hamilton

StJohnstone

1/5/10

Spain

Villarreal

Barcelona

what odds do you get for these two games? what margin do you allow for a no bet?

what odds do you get for these two games? what margin do you allow for a no bet?
ok using the appropriate fudged poisson equations i get odds of 1.51 for the scotch game and 1.60 for the spanish game - pretty good considering i had the estimates at nearly low 9.

cash

cash

stake

cash

spread

stake

stake

% of bank

stake

stake

date

h

a

corners

bet

per corner

per corner

per corner

corners

profit

profit

1/1/11

Watford

Portsmouth

u

£6.35

3.00%

-£22.22

2/1/11

Wigan

Newcastle

u

£1.70

0.90%

2/1/11

Sevilla

Osasuna

u

£2.27

1.20%

2/1/11

Valencia

Espanyol

u

£1.70

0.90%

c'mon the Grail. we need you now. all spin (and extra i think)

Re: Total Corner spreads: is this the Holy Grail? 323 bets, +25% yield. HELP NEEDE you get a double dip because the graph is the product of two function; poisson(HomeMeanCorners) * poisson(AwayMeanCorners). so i convert your total corners mean into home and away means by giving 58% of your mean to the home team and the rest to the away team. to workout the probability of there being x corners by the home team and y corners by the away team you do Poisson(x,HomeMean,FALSE) * Poisson(y,AwayMean,FALSE). to find the under 11 odds you sum up all corner probabilities for all combinations of corners under 11. The 58% comes from the Pullien's book. You would get better results if you could estimate the means for the home and away teams separately.

Re: Total Corner spreads: is this the Holy Grail? 323 bets, +25% yield. HELP NEEDE the double dip is not from my calculations, that's actual data. I have emailed pullein about his methods and I still think that my method trumps his idea of the 58% thing. he seems to have used historical coefficient weightings to come up with an estimate. mine is not like this. each to their own though and we both do pretty well corner wise.

to workout the probability of there being x corners by the home team and y corners by the away team you do Poisson(x,HomeMean,FALSE) * Poisson(y,AwayMean,FALSE). to find the under 11 odds you sum up all corner probabilities for all combinations of corners under 11.
or simply use TRUE in the excel function to make it cumulative, which saves you summing the separate probabilities.

Re: Total Corner spreads: is this the Holy Grail? 323 bets, +25% yield. HELP NEEDE ok, great news. this is based on data from 09/10 season that was unseen by the model. i calculated the edge i had and then recorded it as i upped it to see the effect on yield. encouragingly it increases as edge increases. i may well have the fixed odd bookies by the short and curlies as well as the spreads.

edge

bets

yield

all

0%

1%

2%

3%

4%

5%

6%

7%

8%

9%

10%

11%

12%

13%

The Grail could be more powerful than we could ever imagine.

Re: Total Corner spreads: is this the Holy Grail? 323 bets, +25% yield. HELP NEEDE Some interesting results there muppet. I'm sure shopping around for the best odds would increase the number of bets we could make when looking for a an edge greater than 5%. Summing the number of bets from 0% edge to 13%, leaves you about 400 short of the total amount of bets. any reason for this?

Re: Total Corner spreads: is this the Holy Grail? 323 bets, +25% yield. HELP NEEDE thanks mate. the edge was worked out using >=0, then >=1, etc etc so looks at that yield or greater. there are many bets that have negative edge that are not in the table. I may consider doubles if I can get them with the same bookie.

Re: Total Corner spreads: is this the Holy Grail? 323 bets +25% yield. FIXED ODDS FUN

is this one too complicated to follow grex?!
To be honest.... YES. Not only is it complicated, but which system are we following - spreads or "fixed odds fun"? I appreciate that you are trying to get the best out of your data, but we have had two or more pages of discussion on the method of yield calculation, with no positive conclusion (other than plumping for the method that gives the highest yield, whether or not it is based on the basic principle of profit/liability). This is not meant to be a criticism.... simply some observations on behalf of us simpler souls ;)

Re: Total Corner spreads: is this the Holy Grail? 323 bets +25% yield. FIXED ODDS FUN grex, a summary. the faq found at post number one should clear up the spread system for you. these bets are posted in pink tables in this thread. however, things have happened pretty fast on here in the last week. basically, followers have always asked if the spreads system can be converted to a fixed odds system. this would allow accumulators and also those without spread banks to play. I have also had a couple of emails asking the same question, wanting to buy the grail for syndicate use. I said no, but that I would explore fixed odds to open up the market. since then I have had great advice from clay and zero to name a couple into fitting a poisson distribution to the data I have to adjust it for fixed odds. I have also been donated bet365 fixed odds by another member and a neural network by another. the network is on ice for the moment. I used the poissons to create a fit for the system so it can play the fixed odds. then I back tested it on the 365 data and published the yield results earlier. you are right in that there has been no call on the cut off for the edge as things have happened fast and time has been short over the festive period. it is a highly exciting prospect, I am sure you will agree grex, to take an awesome system and diversify it to fit a larger market. in this way the decisions have to be correct and thought about. to this end, on this occasion, I have chosen to ask the lounge for help and this has been so useful. the fixed odd system has not officially kicked off, but it will be obvious when it does. stay tuned and I hope that brings you up to speed grex et al. thanks for following.