European Tour Golf - Johnnie Walker Classic Thurs 19 Feb - Sun 22 Feb 2009

Johnnie Walker Classic The Vines Resort & Country Club Perth, Australia 19 Feb 2009 - 22 Feb 2009 The globetrotting Johnnie Walker Classic – one of the most well travelled tournaments in golf – touches down in Australia this week with a host of star players that collectively represent The European Tour’s mass appeal. Over the past 19 years, the Johnnie Walker Classic has been played in eight different countries and 13 different golf clubs around the Asia Pacific region, including China in 2005 and for the first time last year India, reflecting the brand’s “Keep Walking” philosophy of continuous progress. It will be the tournament’s fourth visit to Perth and two of the game’s most flamboyant characters – Ian Poulter and Camilo Villegas – will strut their stuff at the magnificent Vines Resort and Country Club alongside the explosive talents of Paul Casey and Anthony Kim; European Ryder Cup Captain, Colin Montgomerie; Australia’s most famous ‘Great White Shark’, Greg Norman, and one of golf’s permanent class acts, Lee Westwood. They will be joined by defending champion, New Zealander Mark Brown, who produced five stunning birdies on the back nine of his final round for a three stroke victory and his maiden European Tour title at DLF Golf and Country Club in New Delhi, India, 12 months ago. The Johnnie Walker Classic is synonymous with success: the former winners of the event, since its inception in 1992, have produced a total 183 European Tour wins and 28 Major Championships between them – an impressive record in anyone’s language. Poulter is making his first competitive appearance since November having undergone corrective eye surgery last month. The Englishman, the leading points scorer with four points out of a possible five at The 2008 Ryder Cup is raring to go in Perth. “I wasn't planning to have quite such a break, but I'd had this problem with my eyes for a few years and when I was told it could be fixed, I went for it,” he said. Villegas will be hoping to recreate the form which saw him capture both the BMW Championship and The Tour Championship on the US PGA Tour last year, while Kim is hoping to improve upon his tied 33rd place finish in last week’s Maybank Malaysian Open. Kim said: “I’m very excited to play in my first Johnnie Walker Classic. I’m really enjoying playing in tournaments all around the world, and I can’t wait to visit Perth. One of my goals this year is to win my first European Tour title, and it would be great to do that at the Johnnie Walker Classic.” Montgomerie, Norman and Westwood, meanwhile, need no introduction. Together, the trio have won 153 tournaments around the world, but Norman is the only one of the three to have taken the Johnnie Walker Classic having won the 1994 edition in Thailand and will look to rekindle the form that saw him push Padraig Harrington all the way in last year’s Open Championship at Royal Birkdale. Montgomerie, winner of 31 European Tour titles, has been a regular competitor in the Johnnie Walker Classic during the past two decades. He said: “I’m really looking forward to playing in Perth. The Johnnie Walker Classic is a tournament I always enjoy, and yet it’s one I haven’t managed to win. I came pretty close when I finished second to Nick Faldo in Singapore in 1993, and have had a few top ten finishes over the years. But it’s certainly a title I would like to have on my CV, and I hope this will be the year.” (Courtesy of EuropeanTour.com) This tournament offers us a chance to gain value in players due to the Overhyped Anthony Kim who is again a stupid priced favourite at generally 9/1. What has this guy done to deserve a quote like this? Kim is in such an alien environment at the moment playing on the European Tour that it is going to take him time to adjust and until he starts putting up top 10 finishes on this tour then I don't want to know and will gladly take him on with guys who have proven experience and are in form. 1/4 odds 1,2,3,4,5 places generally offered by most bookies Predictions: Paul Casey @13.00 EW William Hill Casey finished 15th here in 2006 and is in very good form having won Abu Dhabi finishing 4th at the Desert Classic and finishing 11th at the HSBC. He would be my idea of favourite for this tournament on current form however with overhyped Kim in the field I'll gladly take these rather too attractive odds for a guy bang in form. Richard Green @26.00 EW Ladbrokes Green finished tied 3rd the last time this tournament was played here in 2006 and has been in decent form recently finshing 26th in Abu Dhabi & 11th in the Dubai Desert Classic which all bodes well for a decent tilt here in his native Australia. Francesco Molinari @41.00 EW Paddypower Molinari finished tied 6th here again the last time it was played here in 2006 and again he is a guy in form:- finishing 20th Volvo Masters, 2nd Honk Kong Open, 10th at Abu Dhabi & 24th Dubai Desert Classic. Again at these odds and with proven experience at the course he has to go well. Gavin Flint @151.00 EW William Hill Another Australian who performed well here the last time in 2006. He hasn't been setting the world alight recently however he has experience here which counts a lot and he could get into the shake up a tasty odds. :ok

Re: European Tour Golf - Johnnie Walker Classic Thurs 19 Feb - Sun 22 Feb 2009 Anthony Kang @34.00 EW William Hill - 1/4 odds 1,2,3,4 places Surprised to see such a price for a Guy who won well last week in The Malaysian Open after his 1st round of -5 (67) He started the Malaysian with a pretty horrid round of +2 (74) and then sliced his way through the field with his next rounds 66, 64, 67 his current wellbeing can't be questioned and that taste of succes last week could spur him on here! massive odds in running considering his current position lying 3 off the lead! Paul Casey has started respectably with a -1 (71) & Francesco Molinari is in a decent position at -4 (68) - Richard Green has a bit to do on +2 (74) as does Gavin Flint on +1 (73). :ok

This thread has more posts. To see them, you'll need to sign up or sign in.