Snooker: Welsh Open 2009

Re: Snooker: Welsh Open 2009 Just the one outright for me. 1pt ew A.Carter to win Welsh Open 16/1 Stan James Allister Carter is yet to win a ranking event but he made the final of the world championships at the end of last season and he's been playing consistent snooker this season but just being edged out. He made the semi finals in the UK Championship and it took Ronnie O'Sullivan to beat him in the Masters so his form is good. He's had some recent match practice too by playing in the Championship League last week so he should be ready for this event. He couldn't have asked for a better draw and has a real chance of making the semi final at least so at 16/1 with half the odds each way, the Captain is my outright interest this week.

Re: Snooker: Welsh Open 2009 Two players Im focusing in on the outrights and both are in the top half. for this event Im going to use the staking plan I set out on the sports punter. Carter 17 var 3 pts e.w and 3.25 wh to win quarter 2 10 pts Nice part of the draw this for one of the most consistent players on the tour this season. Since he reached the world final, he has had numerous semi finals in ranking events, 3 to be exact and he really is knocking on the door to go onto make a final and win one. His draw looks favourable. Murphy is the major seed in the quarter but Im still not convinced by his form despite his UK win, every other event this season he has lost straight away. Dott has shown signs of recovery lately but hasnt turned that into results and really this does look a nice quarter for Carter to win and from there he would have every chance in this event. Day 21 tote 2 pts e.w and 4.5 var to win quarter 1 10 pts Another player who has been knocking on the door of a tournament win for some time. He has come close a few times, notably in the Grand Prix to Higgins this year when he lost a narrow final. Since then he has had a couple of early exits in events but equally they have been to players in good recent form themselves, ie. Stevens and Allen so no real disgrace and generally I still consider him a player still in good enough form. This week on his home patch could be a good time to show it. The early part of his draw seems fair especially as the seed he could meet in the last 16, Ebdon, has been in such poor form mainly this season. It gets a bit tougher from there with Selby/Perry/Williams looming but I would take it if he was 7/2 just to beat one of them just to win his quarter. I think this could be a fair week for day and a carter v day semi wouldnt surprise me. Just one for day one: Williams -1.5 frames 1.72 bluesq 10 pts Going for Williams to win this one 5-3 at the worse. Williams has actually found some much better form this season and he showed that in the last ranking event at the UK when he lost 9-8 in the quarters to Carter and was arguably a bit unlucky to do so. The standard of snooker he produced in that event was probably as good as he has done so for about 2/3 seasons at least and it was encouraging for him to do so. In Gilbert he plays a player I dont know lots about but looking at his results he does not look that frightening to me. I remember he played quite well in losing 5-4 to Hendry at the Grand Prix but apart from that he hasnt done that match and at times he has struggled this season. For example in his first round game at the UK he lost 9-1. Williams for me in this one, 5-3 at the worst.

Re: Snooker: Welsh Open 2009 2 for me tomorrow. 3pts M.Dunn to beat G.Dott 2/1 Bet365 Mike Dunn isn't a household name but he can play this game. He beat Ian McCulloch in qualifying and that's not the easiest feat. Graeme Dott hasn't won many matches in recent months and as we saw at the Masters he doesn't necessarily find it easy to get over the line. Mike Dunn won a couple of 5-4's in qualifying so when it gets tight he can still perform and with Dott being low on confidence and form I'll take the outsider to win this match. 3pts A.Hamilton to beat P.Ebdon 11/10 Bet365 Anthony Hamilton is a solid enough player and could be the type that Ebdon won't want to play right now. Ebdon must be low on confidence. He got bashed up by Carter in the Masters and failed to win a single match of the 6 he played in the Championship League, losing all 6. Hamilton hasn't been in great form overall but at least he's had some match practice in the qualifiers over the last couple of weeks. This is a pick em match really so there's a bit of value in the Robin Hood of Snooker.

Re: Snooker: Welsh Open 2009 Pinches +2.5 frames 1.66 pp 10 pts As I mentioned in my opening post, Im still not convinced totally by Murphy’s form. Ok he won the UK but I feel at times he rode his luck in that event and he never really looked like the free flowing player who won the worlds a few years ago. It still has to be said he is a quality player when everything is right but perhaps personal problems have affected him and it has to be said that apart from the UK, he has lost first round in every event this season and thats a woeful record for a player of his ability. He plays the Norwich man Pinches who is very experienced and whilst he is no great force, he knows his way around a snooker table. Just like Murphy, his form cant be described as great as he too has lost a lot of games this season but he did win 4 games in Bahrain and he did beat the quality youngster Cope to get here. Not quite sure if he can win but I think 3 frames is a possibility. Carter -2.5 frames 2.1 boy 10 pts Would like to be proved wrong here as I like Jimmy White and its good to see him back on a stage like this but I just feel carter will have too much for him. Carter as I said in my preview is in good form and was ruthless against Ebdon in the first round of the Masters, showing what he can do. White has had a small renaissance this season. He has won quite a lot of games at a lowly level and did well to qualify for this by winning lots of games. In his last game he beat Doherty no less 5-0. However that result has to be put into context as Doherty has been very poor this season and White wasn’t exactly amazing in terms of banging in loads of centuries with ‘just’ the two half centuries. Carter is a step up from what Jimmy has been facing of late and I think the class these days might just be too much for Carter who I expect to be clinical here.

Re: Snooker: Welsh Open 2009 Both match bets won yesterday but Day lost. Stevens 2.5 bet3 10 pts Stevens plays Ding and whilst Ding is the fav I think there could just be a small upset here with the Welshman on home turf. Ding hasn’t really delivered the goods for a long time now, I cant remember the last time he won something and his career has stuttered somewhat; still good but not perhaps the consistent winner he once promised to be so far. Given that he could be vulnerable against Stevens who despite having a poor general record in best of 9 frame matches, has hit from just lately. He reached the final in Bahrain before beating Day in the UK. He also won his first match her albeit a tight one against Hicks where he fought hard to win the last few frames to win. A small upset with the Welshman for me. King v Harold over 7.5 frames 1.72 bluesq 10 pts I have taken on King in most first round events this season and often with success. I nearly did so again today but instead have gone for a safer option if you like by saying there will be at least 8 frames in this match. Harold actually has some good form this season and provisionally is in the races for a top 16 spot; he reached the final of the first event and has won at least one match at every event bar the UK. However he and King are similar type of matchplayers who will not whack in huge breaks and will grind their own way to frames. I can see this being a grinding sort of match with not too much in it and therefore I reckon there will be at least 8 frames in it.

Re: Snooker: Welsh Open 2009 One for me at the minute tomorrow. 4pts M.Judge to beat A.Hamilton Evs Boylesports Michael Judge came through a high quality encounter against Ryan Day in the 1st round. There were 3 centuries in that match, one of which came from Judge who also knocked in runs of 89 and 67. Anthony Hamilton beat Peter Ebdon but there was nothing eyecatching about his win. In fact it was two out of form players cancelling each other out in the most part. Judge appears to be in real good touch and we've seen in the past when he's hot he can be hard to beat so I'll take the Evs on offer here.

Re: Snooker: Welsh Open 2009 Judge evens boy 10 pts Im with Judge here too. I considered putting up Hamilton against the struggling Ebdon but really didn’t want to get involved in a match between two struggling players and it proved a poor game with no real high breaks and in the end Hamilton won. Contrast that with Judge’s match which was a much better quality against Day. Day played well enough (he knocked in a few pressure centuries) yet Judge was just too good for him and he was not adverse to a few big breaks with 3 breaks of 67 or more. On that evidence Judge arrives in this game in the better form and he is the selection.

Re: Snooker: Welsh Open 2009 Judge walked into an on fire Anthony Hamilton :eyes. Going with a bet for the final quarter final. Pretty confident one too. 5pts M.Fu to beat N.Robertson 11/10 Blue Square I like Marco Fu. Both from a betting point of view and a snooker one. He's such a solid player. Can keep it tight but when you let him loose on the table he can make you pay as he's proved this week by hitting 4 centuries and a 93 this week already. Neil Robertson has a bit of hot and cold in him and when it goes wrong it really goes wrong but to be fair to him he scored heavily and withstood a strong John Higgins comeback in the last round. However Fu is playing lovely snooker this week and I really fancy him to see off the Aussie here.

Re: Snooker: Welsh Open 2009

C'mon Ali Carter! Great tipping from both Kev & Woody:clap:clap. Kev, I think that's your last 3 outrights that have reached the final. Unreal tipping:notworthy
Cheers mate, last 3 in the final and looks like the last 2 winners now. Feel a bit sorry for Swail here, got a lot of time for him but Carter's just been way too good tonight. He'd have beaten most of them on tonight's form.