Bankroll Management

msaban

More of a low stakes tournament player than a cash player, but making the effort on one of my sites to grind to a decent roll playing cash PLO H/L. Can someone advise me on the basic bankroll I should have to move between levels so for example, for tournaments I wouldnt buy into a game that was anymore than 5% of my roll, but for cash I'm sure Ive read previously that ideally the max buyin should not exceed 1% of your roll. Is this right ? so at 0.10/0.20 with a max buyin of $20 I should have a roll of $2K, this seems a little high to me. thought / answers please, thanks

Re: Bankroll Management

More of a low stakes tournament player than a cash player, but making the effort on one of my sites to grind to a decent roll playing cash PLO H/L. Can someone advise me on the basic bankroll I should have to move between levels so for example, for tournaments I wouldnt buy into a game that was anymore than 5% of my roll, but for cash I'm sure Ive read previously that ideally the max buyin should not exceed 1% of your roll. Is this right ? so at 0.10/0.20 with a max buyin of $20 I should have a roll of $2K, this seems a little high to me. thought / answers please, thanks
Intuitively I think you might have it the wrong way round. I'd have thought no more than 5% for cash and 1% for MTT's because of the variance. So if you wanted to play $20NL you would want at least $400 but if you want to play $20 MTT's you would want $2,000. I have no experience with PLO but from what I have read the swings can be larger than NLH so I would urge on the side of caution and start with 40-50 buyins. Move up if I got 40-50 buyins for the next level but move down if I dropped to 25 buyins for my current current level. Of course if you have a very large bankroll compared to your stakes you won't have to move down so quickly and will be able to absorb bad runs better and recover quicker rather than grinding at a lower level.

Re: Bankroll Management definately err on the side of caution :ok i think it's not too bad at the lower levels 5c/10c as the play is usually quite friendly (lots of limping).once you hit the 25c/50c tables you get better players which usually means more aggression,so pots usually gain size rapidly and variance comes into play a bit more.

Re: Bankroll Management

Im not 100% certain but i think there is alot less variance in PLO/8, because it is hard to go wrong playing that game. As a general rule for cash games, i think you want around 50 buy ins
depends how you look at it really:unsure your less likely to be losing a whole buy in in one go ,as you may well be splitting the pot....but as there's more going on the pots are a bit bigger than plo in general and your more likely to get hooked into a pot as well,so its possible to be losing more even tho your quartering pots. out of the two i would say i have had bigger swings in plo8 than plo, up and down.that might just be variance itself or any number of other reasons like quality of players etc:tongue2

Re: Bankroll Management Yeah, it depends alot on your style as well. For me, PLO/8 is low variance because i play a very tight game, which i believe is necessary to the game, and obviously i will experience less variance than others. But aggressive styles usually require a bigger bankroll

Re: Bankroll Management I haven't played enough PLO8 to comment on that in particular, but here's what I would say for 6-max NLHE. At stakes upto $1/$2, I'd be happy playing off a bankroll of 20 BIs. Every level above that I'd want an extra 5 BIs (so if I ever get to $5/$10, I'd want a BR of $40k), as you're probably going to be playing better players, and experiencing higher variance.

Re: Bankroll Management I'm in a weird position at the moment of being way over-rolled for NL100 but under-rolled for NL200. NL100 is a very nitty level, it's known as the graveyard because there's just grinders on every table trying to make a decent living and it's also where the fallen rest after they've been shot down from higher levels. NL200 the players aren't much better from NL100 at all, but the aggression factor is cranked up a fair few notches for some reason meaning variance can be a bitch at this level and so i'd never play with only 20buy-ins. I think to have a chance at NL200 you need 40buy-ins to over-come the variance and still play your A game.