Super League XIV/ Northern Rail Cup - Week 1

Re: Super League XIV/ Northern Rail Cup - Week 1 cheers mate. Big things expected of Smith now Trent's gone home. Only a bit part player last season whilst finding his feet, and with fancied rookie Tompkins champing at the bit for the same position, Smith should aim to make a statement in what is an inferior competition.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Super League XIV/ Northern Rail Cup - Week 1 Watching both comp's is a pretty decent yard stick. Oh aye, i forgot, our game's come on leaps and bounds according to the Sky blurbs over the last few years. We're getting closer is/was the cry. Was'nt there a "champion leagues version" a decade ago? Oops there i go again...we've caught up since then, so thing's would be different. Waiting for the WCC stuff to be put forward now....tick tock

Re: Super League XIV/ Northern Rail Cup - Week 1 Todays Game Wigan v Wakefield Well its well documented that Wakefield have a host of men out, with many being key players missing including Danny Brough, Ryan Atkins and Richard Moore, who they will sorely miss. Wigan have no injurys and start with a fully fit squad. Its still early season so stakes will be kept mediocre for the time being, but I think Wigan should cover the -14 I got yesterday, I think it has gone to a best -16 now, but I would still back them giving up this. So my first bet of the season is Wigan -14 @ 10/11 Good luck if anyone else is getting involved in this game in anyway.

Re: Super League XIV/ Northern Rail Cup - Week 1

Todays Game Wigan v Wakefield Well its well documented that Wakefield have a host of men out, with many being key players missing including Danny Brough, Ryan Atkins and Richard Moore, who they will sorely miss. Wigan have no injurys and start with a fully fit squad. Its still early season so stakes will be kept mediocre for the time being, but I think Wigan should cover the -14 I got yesterday, I think it has gone to a best -16 now, but I would still back them giving up this. So my first bet of the season is Wigan -14 @ 10/11 Good luck if anyone else is getting involved in this game in anyway.
Wigan 6-12 Wakey Thats a real shocker of a result. The early rounds have a curious habit of throwing up these bizarre results. I attribute it partly to weather and players heads not entirely focussed early doors. I really fancied the -14 myself but the weather looked so grim. If this game was in week 12 Im convinced Wigan would have won at a canter.

Supprt our lads with a passion in all sports, but i don't kip in union flag/st george jammies. see ya when you've looked the stats up.
I dont really need stats. Mostly because their arent any but you feel free to. The floors yours. Matt King, Adam Dykes, Tim Smith etc etc whatever would Superleague do without them. Praise be the NRL for harnessing this fine rugby league talent. May we forever be in your debt.:puke We got a good product here in blighty. It turns out some real edge of the seat stuff. We might not have Billy'Just let the ball go dead. Oh for the love of...' Slater et all over here but we see some real good rugby. I look forward to seeing what NRL can bring to Superleague this season. I belive Crusaders have signed a number of them.

Wigan 6-12 Wakey Thats a real shocker of a result. The early rounds have a curious habit of throwing up these bizarre results. I attribute it partly to weather and players heads not entirely focussed early doors. I really fancied the -14 myself but the weather looked so grim. If this game was in week 12 Im convinced Wigan would have won at a canter.
Nah, it's not the round it's the side. As I said to kevshat last week, 'never bet on a game involving Wakefield'. We'll knock you to the floor and kick you in the teeth, whichever side of the bet you're on.

Nah, it's not the round it's the side. As I said to kevshat last week, 'never bet on a game involving Wakefield'. We'll knock you to the floor and kick you in the teeth, whichever side of the bet you're on.
They are pretty unpredictable Wakey but not half as unpredictable as Wigan can be at home. I remember that mauling they took by Huddersfield last season. Not to mention a sprinkling of other surprise ones. It looks like another season of ups and downs. I thought Karl Price might be a big player for Wigan. Didnt make the squad for whatever reason? On the plus side of today though. Maybe the bookies might show Wakey at little respect at Leeds next week. In drier conditions I fancy Leeds to dish out there regular caning. Fingers crossed for an achievable handicap.

In drier conditions I fancy Leeds to dish out there regular caning.
Predictable except for McNally's last season when most respectable pundits and all of our fans were fully expecting them to put upwards of 80 points on us. Then we beat them. We're Wakefield, it's what we do:dude

Re: Super League XIV/ Northern Rail Cup - Week 1 Leeds Vs Wakefield 2008 Wakefield 12-30 Leeds Leeds 58-12 Wakefield Wakefield 8-44 Leeds I always look forward to the Leeds Wakey games. By half time the -28 usually well surpassed.:dude Seriously though. There does appear a dominance there. I won on the 58-12 match last season.Im sure the handicap was about -14. Gladly take that this year again. I just cant get my head round any other bet. Like I always say though. Beware the rain and snow. Leeds Wakey 2007. A warning from history. Indeed Wakey today as well from what I can gather.

Re: Super League XIV/ Northern Rail Cup - Week 1 From what I can gather Wigan had a 40% completion rate. That sort of statistic is going to cost you dear. The daggers have been out for Tim Smiths kicking game. I dont rate him that highly myself but Barrett was always going to be a tough act to follow. Wigan a team to be wary of at moment. Its week 1 though and the weather wasnt brilliant. Hull next week will probably give us a better understanding of where Wigan are at next week. Wakey took full advantage of Wigan this week. Brad Drew sounds pivotal to their attacking efforts . Super player though. Still think Leeds will give them more of a game.

usually your avatar has a connection to your user name but i can't work out the connection this time...:unsure
The dogs called Jimmy. There was a famous writer called Henry James. He wrote a erm......book. It was either the dog or a cute red vacuum cleaner. Backing the dogs brings more money in my experience.

Re: Super League XIV/ Northern Rail Cup - Week 1 Bit late back, but the Wigan bet went tats up, the bet was really over at half time as the rain and sleet came down, but they were the better said, whatever the conditions. I had a rule last year not to get involved in games involving Wigan as they are just so inconsisitent, but I could not ignore the players Wakefield had out. Not a big fan of giving big starts early season when pitches are muddy and weather is unpredictable, but well done Wakefield, the first big shock of the season.

Re: Super League XIV/ Northern Rail Cup - Week 1 Tim Smith is a confidence player... and he has not had any confidence for the last 2 seasons in NRL. Some of his diabolical kikcks and passes in recent times would be surpassed on any schoolboy field and it's a shame as he showed real talent in his rookie year, I don't know what sort of money he is on but this guy is a massive risk. As for Riddell he is a player I hate with a passion, often seen trotting in the backplay with no show of urgency. Yes he likes to burrow over for a try here and there but I foresee his borderline fitness going to the dogs over there and his true colours will be to the fore before long. I hate players who don't 'try' 100% of the time and he's it.

Re: Super League XIV/ Northern Rail Cup - Week 1 Wigan look really short at Hooker. The top teams this year have opted for a 2 hooker strategy a la St Helens with Cunningham and Roby. Riddell aside Mcillorum is there only other recognised and he didnt even make the squad on Sunday. I fancy Wigan not to be heavily amongst the points this year. I fancy them to oppose on sizeable handicaps.

Re: Super League XIV/ Northern Rail Cup - Week 1 Just an aside... I've mentioned it in previous years/ seasons but I think I've noticed a system that could be profitable on the handicaps. I don't want to post it on here because bookies look but I think kevshat and Rugbylad will recall it. I'm doing a paper trail for the first few weeks to see what happens.

I dont really need stats. Mostly because their arent any but you feel free to. The floors yours. Matt King, Adam Dykes, Tim Smith etc etc whatever would Superleague do without them. Praise be the NRL for harnessing this fine rugby league talent. May we forever be in your debt.:puke We got a good product here in blighty. It turns out some real edge of the seat stuff. We might not have Billy'Just let the ball go dead. Oh for the love of...' Slater et all over here but we see some real good rugby. I look forward to seeing what NRL can bring to Superleague this season. I belive Crusaders have signed a number of them.
Oh dear. nice to see you like playing with the icons. Do you watch the NRL fella? Try re-placing the above 3 with Lyon, Meninga and Sterling. We could go on and on like this with players, but whats the chuffin point. Infantile to say the least. The Aussies don't exactly beat our door down for our 'superstars' do they? Yep we have some superb rugby played on our sceptic isle, but it's not the full story is it? Is that what's known as a safe play, putting Celtic forward as a Oz standard-bearer for Superleague this season?? PMSL Anyhoo, looking forward to Elland Rd to decide the 'world champs' next month.

Re: Super League XIV/ Northern Rail Cup - Week 1 Another point on the ESL front. The next 3,4,5 years minimum, will be imperative for the growth and substance of our game. We've NEVER had so many home-grown/academy youngsters involved at first team level. Not just at the less affluent clubs, but at the league's super-powers. Saints alone have promoted a massive 9 from the academy, which should be good for British rugby league in the long run, IF, at least a few of them step up to the long term plate, so to speak. Ditto at other clubs. The foundation has been laid for British talent to come to the fore. Speccies have long whinged about sub-standard overseas players coming over and depriving our young talent of progressing. With the birth of superleague, we took on board the antipideon League blueprint wholesale, to try and match the standards from those down under. Did'nt quite go to plan, so the youngsters rule is the last throw of the dice. Hope it pans out, in what is the best sport in the world.

Oh dear. nice to see you like playing with the icons. Do you watch the NRL fella? Try re-placing the above 3 with Lyon, Meninga and Sterling. We could go on and on like this with players, but whats the chuffin point. Infantile to say the least. The Aussies don't exactly beat our door down for our 'superstars' do they? Yep we have some superb rugby played on our sceptic isle, but it's not the full story is it? Is that what's known as a safe play, putting Celtic forward as a Oz standard-bearer for Superleague this season?? PMSL Anyhoo, looking forward to Elland Rd to decide the 'world champs' next month.
Meninga and Sterling:$ where did you pluck those names from. Has there been some sort of Stones bitter championship re run on UK Gold. Lyon is was awsome in recent times. Credit where its due. ;) Your right though Aussies dont often come banging our doors after our Superstars. Jordan Tansey:nana not exactly a superstar but I reckon he'll be a leading light in theCeltic Crusaders Acadamy set up or the NRL as its better known.:moon Superleague always winning that World club thingy. The only true barometer of Superiorty. What more have we got to do?:drums

Re: Super League XIV/ Northern Rail Cup - Week 1 The problem with the English Superleague is its struggle to make development beyond it traditional heartland of Yorkshire and Lancashire. There are only a handful of top clubs who have the finance and resources to really bring on their youth setups. Its not a national game. Superleague doesnt have a prescence in the major cities. No team in Birmingham, Newcastle, Liverpool or Manchester. What we do have at the top level of Superleague is alot of clubs representing small provincial towns and cities. The scope for progression isnt as great. Itd be real great for the game if Rugby League could be a real success in London. A big club in London could be just what the game needs. The growth potential there is great and could be the spark for the game to become more national. I love sport as a whole. I watch alot of football but for entertainment value it stands head and shoulders over any sport. Why its not the worlds no 1 sport never mind the UK I dont know. . Cheerleaders. Fireworks. George Sampson at half time. 80 minutes of pure action. Never get a nil nil. What more do you want?