When do you leave a game?

tomahawk1984

Re: When do you leave a game? I tend to leave either when it breaks up, when it's seeming a tough table or when I start to feel tired. When one table breaks up, I'll often leave the other table(s) I'm playing too and have a break.... Along similar lines - I'll never leave a table until it's my BB and when I join a table I wont post the blinds until it's my BB - seems crazy to sit there waiting for the sake of 7p!! But it's not 7p!! It's a whole Big Blind!!!!!!

Re: When do you leave a game? yeah i always leave on the bb too:)every penny counts:ok i wouldn't wanna leave a table that i had doubled up on ,if it was a soft table and i felt in control. these are sometimes the times when you can make a huge profit as some players will tilt massively on a cash table and rebuy numerous times very quickly.also your only playing for the largest stack on the table,so if then other stacks are not much larger than 100bbs then your not really protecting anything;) maybe your attitude towards your stack changes because of being in profit. so you make looser calls because you feel like you can lose the money, or play bad protecting your new found money:unsure it's sort of like a reverse tilt:ok i read somewhere that hellmuth always trys to takes a couple of minutes break to compose himself after a big hand win or lose,maybe thats worth a try;)

Re: When do you leave a game?

Not played cash poker in a while but everytime I sat down at a table I always set myself a target. Once I hit that target I would move on and put my initial bankroll into another table.
I dont like that approach - it means you switch to a harder table when on an easy table and it means you stick with a hard table you're not beating :unsure Ultimately you always end up on a harder table :unsure

I dont like that approach - it means you switch to a harder table when on an easy table and it means you stick with a hard table you're not beating :unsure Ultimately you always end up on a harder table :unsure
very good point:ok somedays you play well to finish level, even on an easy table.other times you might not play so well but be way ahead. the trick is to make correct decisions for as much of your play as possible , minimise losses on the bad days and maximise on the good. if that means walking away from a table when you dont feel confident then do so. if you feel good there's no reason to move till your tired ,bored,table breaks or you have to. setting yourself some sort of limit(apart from good bankroll of course) seems a bad idea both ways:unsure.

It does depend on bankroll. Personally, my (lack of) skill at cash games is such that it would be mad for me to play at any table where the stakes were large enough for bankroll considerations to be relevant. But if you sat down at a table with, say, 5% of your bankroll and doubled up, then you would now have about 10% of your bankroll at risk (assuming there were other big stacks), which you might quite sensibly feel was too much.

Re: When do you leave a game? As quoted from a famous poker writer - "It's all one long session", meaning that the session you play at a particular table is only a small part of a much larger picture. You should only sit at tables where you feel confident you can beat the average skill level. You should also always aim for having the largest (or one of the largest) stacks on the table, if you get stacked off by bad luck then just buy more chips. Try to think of you stack as "the currently visible part of your bankroll". As long as you have an edge over your opponents there is no reason to leave the table, regardless of the fluctuations of your current stack. (Of course you shouldn't play when your tired/upset/drunk and so on, but that's obvious). This is why table selection is crucial, you simply can't sit down with better opponents and believe that you will, long-term, end up with a profit. If you feel confident that you beat your current level, and have a bankroll that warrants it: move up a level. If you then, by judging your opponents and your results, find that it's too hard, you MUST move down again and try to improve your game before making another shot. After all, poker profit comes from the fact that the majority of poker players play at a level which is too high for them.

You should also always aim for having the largest (or one of the largest) stacks on the table, if you get stacked off by bad luck then just buy more chips. Try to think of you stack as "the currently visible part of your bankroll". .
Common quoted advice and only true if you are a considerably better player than the other large stacks at the table. However on your average table where there is little edge you have the most advantage when short stacked. Reasons being you will always see the showdown, even though in a multi-way pot other players in the hand might get bet out of seeing the showdown and you win their money too. Also players who are deeper can not make value calls against you because of other deep stack players still to act. These edges are quite significant and explain why "shortstacking" is such a common phenomenom. It also makes it easier to multi-table as decisions are simpler and not so often.

...you have the most advantage when short stacked. Reasons being you will always see the showdown, even though in a multi-way pot other players in the hand might get bet out of seeing the showdown and you win their money too. Also players who are deeper can not make value calls against you because of other deep stack players still to act. These edges are quite significant and explain why "shortstacking" is such a common phenomenom. It also makes it easier to multi-table as decisions are simpler and not so often.
If you are the better player, you make your money by making better decisions than the other players. Being shortstacked limits your options, which is what you DON'T want as the better player.