Cricket: Australia vs New Zealand ODI Series & Twenty20 International

Australia and New Zealand play for the Chappell-Hadlee trophy over 5 ODI's and then play a twenty20 match. The action begins Sunday and is all on Sky. ODI Series Odds:

v15.gif v6004.gif v6140.gif v1.gif v6006.gif v2.gif v3.gif v6002.gif v6018.gif v502.gif v6005.gif v401.gif
chart_off.gifAustralia 1.22 1.25 1.25 1.25 1.25 1.22 Paddy Power" onclick="a(0,350616817,1,7,0,3); return false;" onmouseout="cellExit(this);">1.14 1.16 1.25 1.22 1.26 Betfair" onclick="a(0,346072784,1,4,1,401); return false;" onmouseout="cellExit(this);">1.25
chart_off.gif Draw 22 Paddy Power" onclick=" return false;" onmouseout=""> 24 Betfair" onclick="a(0,346072789,25,1,1,401); return false;" onmouseout="cellExit(this);">26
chart_off.gif New Zealand 365" onclick="a(0,350613343,3,1,0,15); return false;" onmouseout="cellExit(this);">4 3.5 4.8 3.75 3.75 4 Paddy Power" onclick="a(0,350616818,4,1,0,3); return false;" onmouseout="cellExit(this);">5 4.5 3.5 4 5 Betfair" onclick="a(0,346072788,19,5,1,401); return false;" onmouseout="cellExit(this);">4.8
Schedule:
February 2009
Sun 1 icon_dn.gif 13:30 local, 04:30 GMT 1st ODI - Australia v New Zealand Western Australia Cricket Association Ground, Perth
Fri 6 icon_dn.gif 14:15 local, 03:15 GMT 2nd ODI - Australia v New Zealand Melbourne Cricket Ground
Sun 8 icon_dn.gif 14:15 local, 03:15 GMT 3rd ODI - Australia v New Zealand Sydney Cricket Ground
Tue 10 icon_dn.gif 13:45 local, 03:15 GMT 4th ODI - Australia v New Zealand Adelaide Oval
Fri 13 icon_dn.gif 13:15 local, 03:15 GMT 5th ODI - Australia v New Zealand Brisbane Cricket Ground, Woolloongabba, Brisbane
Sun 15 icon_dn.gif 19:35 local, 08:35 GMT Only T20I - Australia v New Zealand Sydney Cricket Ground

Re: Cricket: Australia vs New Zealand ODI Series & Twenty20 International Just one bet for me at the minute. I won't have a bet in the 1st ODI because I'm at the PL meeting all weekend but I'll resume normality for the rest of the series. 3pts D.Vettori Top NZ Series Bowler 10/3 Stan James Daniel Vettori is currently ranked as the best bowler in the world in ODI's and quite rightly so. We've just seen how Australia have struggled against the spin of Johan Botha and Vettori's much more clever and offers a lot more variations. With Australia's middle order looking fragile all of a sudden they could really struggle to get Vettori away. New Zealand went with a just play him out policy but that's not Australia's way and although Mills and O'Brien are bowling well at the minute I think Vettori will take the most wickets for NZ in this series.

Re: Cricket: Australia vs New Zealand ODI Series & Twenty20 International One Series bet for me too: Ricky Ponting Most Aus Runs @ 4.00 Eskander Punter has 4 consecutive ODI tons vs NZ in Aus at an average of 228, he's in solid form and is just the type of player who will lift after recent losses. Warner seems to lack the consistency to take this honor so of the top 3 only Marsh is a threat. Mussey and Dussey are batting far enough down the order for this one to be on Ponting's bat IMO.

Re: Cricket: Australia vs New Zealand ODI Series & Twenty20 International

One Series bet for me too: Ricky Ponting Most Aus Runs @ 4.00 Eskander Punter has 4 consecutive ODI tons vs NZ in Aus at an average of 228, he's in solid form and is just the type of player who will lift after recent losses. Warner seems to lack the consistency to take this honor so of the top 3 only Marsh is a threat. Mussey and Dussey are batting far enough down the order for this one to be on Ponting's bat IMO.
You might want to hold off that bet CP. I read something today about Pointing taking time off from this series and Michael Clarke taking the reigns during his absence.

Re: Cricket: Australia vs New Zealand ODI Series & Twenty20 International Hmm, I totally ignored that possibility (I remember hearing about some rotations possibly being used ages ago). Already placed the bet so not much I can do now. At worst he'll miss two games, but it's definitely something I should have considered. Cheers Henry

Re: Cricket: Australia vs New Zealand ODI Series & Twenty20 International 2nd ODI overnight from Melbourne. I'm going with 3 bets. I've had 1pt ew on James Hopes as top Aussie scorer at 12/1 with Coral but the price has gone completely now so it's wrong if I type that up as a tip when nobody else can get on but I've mentioned it in case anyone wants to get on at the 6/1. 3pts New Zealand to win 2nd ODI 2/1 Blue Square Australia look all over the place at the minute and New Zealand are the sort of side who can take advantage. Having lost the 1st game, Australia now come into this one without their skipper, Ricky Ponting, and opening batsman Shaun Marsh. Ponting is being rested while Marsh is injured. Callum Ferguson and Adam Voges look set to come into the side. New Zealand aren't the best side around but they're a well oiled ODI team. I've got a slight concern about their batting lineup but there is potential there for them to score some big runs and hopefully the likes of McCullum, Fulton and Elliott can back up their star man Ross Taylor. One problem neither side have is with their bowling attacks with both being at full strength. This match is being played on a pitch which was used for a domestic match on Wednesday and a used pitch would play right into Vettori and Patel's hands you would think. Usually scores at the MCG can be high with the massive open spaces in the outfield but I'd expect scores to be a bit lower here. That will suit NZ too so I'll go with them at 2/1. 5pts Under 4 6's 11/8 Sportingbet I've covered this bet in write up's in other series, most recently the Australia vs SA match here when the line was 1 six higher. There were only 2 sixes in that match and in general sixes are rarities here such is the size of the boundaries. Australia's 6 hitter that day, Shaun Marsh, isn't playing today and there's no Albie Morkel in this NZ side. Dave Warner plays here unlike in the Aus vs SA match but even he's going to struggle to hit 6's here with the rope right back. As I said earlier, it's a used pitch so it could be 2 paced and that won't assist 6 hitting so it's a strong bet on the unders again for me. 4pts K.Mills' Performance Pts 40&Over Evs Bet365 Points are scored as follows: 1pt per run, 10pts per catch & 20pts per wicket. Kyle Mills is playing some top cricket at the minute and there's no doubt that the MCG helps swing bowlers with the stands huge. Mills has taken 7 wickets in his last 2 ODI's including 4 at Perth on Sunday. He's also being used as an all rounder for NZ in this series with Vettori batting him at number 7. That gives him a chance to score runs which I'm pleased about as I've banged on in the past about how he can bat well down the order, scooping some ew dosh with him too. 6 out of his last 7 innings in ODI's, he's made double figures and he comes in here with a solid 26 at Perth so he should have lots of confidence with both bat and ball. The way he's bowling he could easily cover this total with the ball but if he needs the bat to fall back on then that's there too. He opens the bowling and bowls at the death which is perfect so I'll take the overs for Mills.

Re: Cricket: Australia vs New Zealand ODI Series & Twenty20 International Very nice day there Kev. :clap I actually jumped on to disagree with a comment (Taylor being a star), but the numbers surprised me greatly. Av. over 40, SR over 80... :eek Always seemed to me to be one of those players who would get 30-40 each and every game but that's about it... Proved me wrong Game 1...stupid shot at a bad time tonight, but still 47... 6's was never in doubt...although there nearly was one! :lol :ok EDIT: Extra credit if you post Taylor's full name next post! ;)

Re: Cricket: Australia vs New Zealand ODI Series & Twenty20 International Ta chaps. A decent morning for me. There wasn't one six and there wasn't really any danger of one either :lol, and NZ won the game. Despite getting a wicket in his 3rd over, Mills couldn't get the other 20pts to bring his performance in but the 2 winning bets equates to +8.88pts for the day. 3rd ODI is on Sunday morning in the coliseum........... I mean the SCG :lol.

Re: Cricket: Australia vs New Zealand ODI Series & Twenty20 International Ponting has been recalled to the ODI squad for this upcoming game. He is currently $5 to be the first Australian centurion this series and I've snapped that up. I mentioned his NZ record earlier, and in addition to this he has 2 tons from his past 4 digs at the SCG. I also feel that given the scenario of the game, it's been set-up for a captain's knock, so an element of destiny to this selection IMO.

Re: Cricket: Australia vs New Zealand ODI Series & Twenty20 International Was in Melbourne yesterday so went to the game. How incredibly boring it was. The crowd was shocking (I know the G often looks emptier than it really is, but it was bordering on embarassing yesterday)...left at change of innings before we fell asleep :loon Oh, good tipping Kev. :ok Sprised the 6's line still stays so high :eek

Re: Cricket: Australia vs New Zealand ODI Series & Twenty20 International 3rd One Day International Australia v New Zealand -Sydney - Match starts 0315 GMT Sunday Australia captain Ricky Ponting has cut short his break from the game to lead his team in Sunday's crucial one-day international against New Zealand. Ponting was due to sit out two matches but returns after one after his side went 2-0 down in the five-match series. However, he will have to cope without Shaun Tait in Sydney after the pace bowler sustained a hamstring injury. Tait could miss the rest of the series, so Ryan Harris has been called into the squad as his replacement. It is Ponting's return which could prove more significant for Australia as they look to end a miserable run of five successive one-day defeats. "Ricky has made a strong appeal to be allowed to play, given that this is a decider game," said chief selector Andrew Hilditch. "Given the circumstances, we have made an on-balance decision to support his request and well continue to monitor his workload closely. "It should be noted that the selectors were pleased with Michael Clarke's leadership and batting form in Melbourne, where he was Man of the Match, but this decision will bolster our batting. "We also understand Ricky's desire to lead from the front." Vice-captain Clarke has been passed fit despite suffering a toe injury during his innings of 98 in Friday's game, which New Zealand won by two wickets. But the Kiwis are keen to keep their momentum going and skipper Daniel Vettori remains in confident mood. "I don't think anyone expected us to be 2-0 up. That's new territory for us. There's not many New Zealand teams who have come over here and beaten Australia two games in a row," he said. "We've been bowling and fielding well, that's set up the two victories so far, and if we can do that in Sydney, I think we've got a really good chance of wrapping up the series." (Courtesy of BBC Sportwebsite) Australia are really in trouble their team morale is at such a low that Ponting has had to cut short his holiday to bolster their team! New Zealand have won 2 close matches previously and I can see Australia bouncing back here and making sure that they stop an unbelievable 0 v 3 New Zealand series win in the Aussies backyard. The Aussies will be smarting and Ponting I think will make the difference here with a good Captains knock and decisions during this game! Predictions: Australia Win @1.44 Paddypower ***** Highest Opening Partnership - Australia @1.83 Totesport **** Highest Score 1st 15 Overs - Australia @1.73 Paddypower**** Team with most sixes - Draw @5.00 Paddypower** Top Australian Batsman - Ponting @4.50 Paddypower *** Top New Zealand Batsman - Broom @9.00 Paddypower ** :ok

Was in Melbourne yesterday so went to the game. How incredibly boring it was. The crowd was shocking (I know the G often looks emptier than it really is, but it was bordering on embarassing yesterday)...left at change of innings before we fell asleep :loon Oh, good tipping Kev. :ok Sprised the 6's line still stays so high :eek
Cheers mate. The ease with which NZ chased that down would worry me if I was an Aussie fan. I'm amazed at the 6's line at the MCG. I guess bookies just don't realise how big the ground is :dude.

Re: Cricket: Australia vs New Zealand ODI Series & Twenty20 International How on earth can anybody back Australia at odds on in this????????????????????????? Have people actually watched the first two games??? The aussie bowling attack is pisspoor, they cant score off Patel and Vettori and there whole top order looks out of form. (and that is with them winning the toss and batting) :lol

Re: Cricket: Australia vs New Zealand ODI Series & Twenty20 International 3rd ODI is from the SCG overnight. It's the scene of the Clarke vs Katich bust up. I'm going with just 2 bets although Warner isn't guaranteed to play so that could become one bet. I've searched the side markets but there's nothing I like really. 4pts New Zealand to win 4th ODI 9/5 Sportingbet After two very solid performances New Zealand come to Sydney with a 2-0 series lead and with a chance to win this series here with 2 matches to go. Australia are stuck in a real rut at the minute. They've lost their last 5 ODI's and have had to bring back their skipper prematurely to try and stop the rot. Australia could bring Ponting back for Dave Warner but I would expect them to bring him back for Callum Ferguson with Warner being on his home ground here. Michael Clarke has passed himself fit to play after his toe disagreed with an Iain O'Brien yorker on Friday but Shaun Tait has been ruled out. Ryan Harris is in the squad for Tait but he's unlikely to play so Australia are likely to make just the one change from Friday's game. New Zealand have no personnel problems ahead of this game and are likely to go in unchanged. When the venues for this series were announced, of all the grounds you'd fancy NZ in before other factors come into play, Sydney would be the one. Vettori and Patel (who Australia have struggled with so far in the series) will get the most turn at the SCG than any other venue and when Australia played SA here last month, Botha and Duminy bowled 20 overs and took 4 for 84. There's a bit of swing on offer for the bowlers too. As I said in the last game, NZ are a well oiled ship right now and with their youngsters Elliott and Broom contributing well the signs are good so I'll go for the Black Caps to sew the series up here. 1pt D.Warner Top Australia Batsman 5/1 Boylesports It's no secret that I'm a huge fan of this guy and I think he's a real talent. He hasn't really shown that in this series so far but both matches have been played on used pitches which are a bit two paced which will never suit his game. However here, on his home ground I expect him to go a lot better. He knows what to expect from this NZ attack now and probably more importantly he knows this wicket and every dimension of this ground. He top scored for Australia here against SA last month and hoping that home surroundings suit him better I'll take him to top score again.

Re: Cricket: Australia vs New Zealand ODI Series & Twenty20 International :dude

3rd One Day International Australia v New Zealand -Sydney - Match starts 0315 GMT Sunday Australia captain Ricky Ponting has cut short his break from the game to lead his team in Sunday's crucial one-day international against New Zealand. Ponting was due to sit out two matches but returns after one after his side went 2-0 down in the five-match series. However, he will have to cope without Shaun Tait in Sydney after the pace bowler sustained a hamstring injury. Tait could miss the rest of the series, so Ryan Harris has been called into the squad as his replacement. It is Ponting's return which could prove more significant for Australia as they look to end a miserable run of five successive one-day defeats. "Ricky has made a strong appeal to be allowed to play, given that this is a decider game," said chief selector Andrew Hilditch. "Given the circumstances, we have made an on-balance decision to support his request and well continue to monitor his workload closely. "It should be noted that the selectors were pleased with Michael Clarke's leadership and batting form in Melbourne, where he was Man of the Match, but this decision will bolster our batting. "We also understand Ricky's desire to lead from the front." Vice-captain Clarke has been passed fit despite suffering a toe injury during his innings of 98 in Friday's game, which New Zealand won by two wickets. But the Kiwis are keen to keep their momentum going and skipper Daniel Vettori remains in confident mood. "I don't think anyone expected us to be 2-0 up. That's new territory for us. There's not many New Zealand teams who have come over here and beaten Australia two games in a row," he said. "We've been bowling and fielding well, that's set up the two victories so far, and if we can do that in Sydney, I think we've got a really good chance of wrapping up the series." (Courtesy of BBC Sportwebsite) Australia are really in trouble their team morale is at such a low that Ponting has had to cut short his holiday to bolster their team! New Zealand have won 2 close matches previously and I can see Australia bouncing back here and making sure that they stop an unbelievable 0 v 3 New Zealand series win in the Aussies backyard. The Aussies will be smarting and Ponting I think will make the difference here with a good Captains knock and decisions during this game! Predictions: Australia Win @1.44 Paddypower ***** :nana Highest Opening Partnership - Australia @1.83 Totesport **** :nana Highest Score 1st 15 Overs - Australia @1.73 Paddypower**** :nana Team with most sixes - Draw @5.00 Paddypower** :nana Top Australian Batsman - Ponting @4.50 Paddypower *** Top New Zealand Batsman - Broom @9.00 Paddypower ** :ok

Re: Cricket: Australia vs New Zealand ODI Series & Twenty20 International Unlucky Kev - some consolation that Warner did not play so non runner rule applies :ok

3rd ODI is from the SCG overnight. It's the scene of the Clarke vs Katich bust up. I'm going with just 2 bets although Warner isn't guaranteed to play so that could become one bet. I've searched the side markets but there's nothing I like really. 4pts New Zealand to win 4th ODI 9/5 Sportingbet After two very solid performances New Zealand come to Sydney with a 2-0 series lead and with a chance to win this series here with 2 matches to go. Australia are stuck in a real rut at the minute. They've lost their last 5 ODI's and have had to bring back their skipper prematurely to try and stop the rot. Australia could bring Ponting back for Dave Warner but I would expect them to bring him back for Callum Ferguson with Warner being on his home ground here. Michael Clarke has passed himself fit to play after his toe disagreed with an Iain O'Brien yorker on Friday but Shaun Tait has been ruled out. Ryan Harris is in the squad for Tait but he's unlikely to play so Australia are likely to make just the one change from Friday's game. New Zealand have no personnel problems ahead of this game and are likely to go in unchanged. When the venues for this series were announced, of all the grounds you'd fancy NZ in before other factors come into play, Sydney would be the one. Vettori and Patel (who Australia have struggled with so far in the series) will get the most turn at the SCG than any other venue and when Australia played SA here last month, Botha and Duminy bowled 20 overs and took 4 for 84. There's a bit of swing on offer for the bowlers too. As I said in the last game, NZ are a well oiled ship right now and with their youngsters Elliott and Broom contributing well the signs are good so I'll go for the Black Caps to sew the series up here. 1pt D.Warner Top Australia Batsman 5/1 Boylesports It's no secret that I'm a huge fan of this guy and I think he's a real talent. He hasn't really shown that in this series so far but both matches have been played on used pitches which are a bit two paced which will never suit his game. However here, on his home ground I expect him to go a lot better. He knows what to expect from this NZ attack now and probably more importantly he knows this wicket and every dimension of this ground. He top scored for Australia here against SA last month and hoping that home surroundings suit him better I'll take him to top score again.

Re: Cricket: Australia vs New Zealand ODI Series & Twenty20 International Australia v New Zealand 4th ODI, Adelaide, Feb 10 - Preview Adelaide: Australia avoided handing back the Chappell-Hadlee Trophy in Sydney but a New Zealand win in Adelaide would be enough for the prize to change hands, while Australia could level at 2-2. Pacer Peter Siddle was added to the Australian squad for the remaining two One-dayers against New Zealand while Ryan Harris and David Warner were released. The National Selection Panel today announced that Peter Siddle has been added to the Australia squad for the final two matches of the Commonwealth Bank Series against New Zealand. Ryan Harris and David Warner have both been ruled out from the Australia squad and will return to State duties. The 24-year-old Siddle has not yet made his ODI debut. Australia trail the five-match series 1-2. New Zealand have relied on their spinners Daniel Vettori and Jeetan Patel to dry up the runs in the middle overs but the plan didn't work in Sydney and there will be no margin for error in Adelaide, where the short boundaries attract hungry batsmen. Grant Elliott has been a thorn in Australia's side in the past two games. Brendon McCullum was scheduled to have scans on Monday on his right shoulder after being struck by a rearing Kyle Mills delivery while standing up to the stumps. The batting began to click at the SCG, where Brad Haddin and Michael Clarke were thrust together as a makeshift opening pair and put on 135 for the first wicket. It was Australia's best opening partnership since the World Cup final in 2007.

Fact about match

• Brad Haddin is in form after making his first ODI century on Sunday and New Zealand will be concerned about him at Adelaide Oval, where he destroyed them in November's Test match when he made 169.
  • Grant Elliott's 115 in the SCG match was the second-highest ever by a New Zealand player in an ODI in Australia.
  • Nathan Bracken will be playing his 100th one-day international.
  • The teams have played each other eight times in ODIs at the Adelaide Oval for four wins each

Pitch Report: Most frustrating for Ponting was that it happened on a good batting pitch, as is nearly always provided at the Adelaide Oval. There should be plenty of runs available this time. Weather:Fine and partly cloudy, apart from the chance of a light morning shower about the hills and southern suburbs. Moderate to fresh south to southeast winds. Chance of Rain 20% (trace amounts). Head to Head: Total 115, Aus 79, NZ 32, NR 4 Preview courtesy of: http://www.cricketworld4u.com/articles/australia-v-new-zealand-4th-odi-adelaide-556.php Australia will look to level the series and avoid another embarassing ODI series defeat in their own backyard. New zealand look like they will draught in another wicket keeper to replace McCullum who will be very sore after getting a Mills delivery at his shoulder in the last ODI. There he needed a pain killing injection to help him continue and rather than play him injured I think New Zealand will look to get him fit for the last ODI match in the series on Friday 13th February in Brisbane. No doubt McCullum will be a big loss for New Zealand here because the last time he played an ODI match here in Adelaide he top scored for New Zealand with 96 runs back in December 2007 in their 7 wicket loss to Australia. The Australians will be highly motivated again here and have draughted in an extra fast bowler in Siddle due to the nature of this ground which gives little change for spin. Ricky Ponting has a great record with the bat here in ODI's for Australia: He top scored for Australia in the last ODI loss to South Africa in January this year with 69. He top scored in the last ODI v New Zealand in December 2007 with 107 not out in which the Australians won. He top scored in the ODI match v England here in January 2007 with 51 not out in the Australian 9 wicket win. Predictions: Australia WIN @1.40 ***** Paddypower Top Australian Batsman - Ponting @4.50 *** Paddypower Top Australian Bowler - Hopes @7.00 ** William Hill Most Sixes - Australia @2.10 **** Paddypower Highest 1st 15 Overs - Australia @1.73 ***** Totesport Man Of The Match - Ponting @10.00 ** Paddypower :ok

Re: Cricket: Australia vs New Zealand ODI Series & Twenty20 International Ponting's record here isn't that good Jonesy. He averages less here than his career, has 3 ducks from 11 innings and 6 out of the 11 he's failed to make 20. He top scored against England and India but only 3 and 5 people batted in those games. Ponting at Hobart and the MCG you usually get a decent score from him but this has to be one of his poorer grounds in Australia. I'm gonna write my bets up in a minute, just looking at the rest of the side markets but I can't be backing Australia at 2/5 I don't think. If Vettori had the balls to bat 1st like anyone half sane at Sydney would do with 2 spinners in his side then this series would be all over by now.

Ponting's figures are great in ODI'S here not tests! the only other person who has top scored here inbetween was Clarke the one time in 2008!
I realise that but he top scored with 51 and 63 (the 1st in a run chase of 111). That ain't going to get the job done too often is it? And as I say he's not gone past 20 in 6 of his 11 ODI innings here. I've no idea what you're on about tests for, I'm dealing in ODI stats here. His average of 40.77 here is almost 3 runs below his career ODI average.