Favourite/Least favourite racecourse...

alexmac

So, what are your favourite/least favourite racecourse, and why...? I'll get things started: FAVOURITE - A couple spring to mind... Newbury for its proximity to my place, the standard of the races, and the fact that I am a member there and it costs peanuts. However - the members bar is shit, and there are quite a few chavs that attend every racemeet :( Ascot, nothing beats it during the summer - quality place. However, the jumps racing really lets it down in my opinion, in the winter the atmosphere is TERRIBLE, and although they stage some crackingraces, it is a shame there is no-one there to see them! Cheltenham is clearly a cracking place - but impossible to get served at the bar. This leaves me with my 'current' favourite - SANDOWN PARK. Decent races, decent entry packages, not too busy (usually) and a nice big parade ring. I have also got alot of time for Windsor, you cannot beat a Monday night there, and Newcastle - as it was the first racecourse I went to. LEAST FAVOURITE - Hands down winner here. KEMPTON PARK. When I have been (un)lucky enough to attend I have had a pretty miserable experience. The place just feels dead and lifeless to me. The bars are full of cnuts, the racing is nothing special, and it isn't even very cheap to get in. I daresay, it is different for the big King George meet, but the times I have been I have been less than impressed with the place.

Re: Favourite/Least favourite racecourse... FAV - KELSO is a great 'small' racecourse .It is well set out and you can see all the action from the stands as well as the paddock / saddling enclosyre all within a short stroll of each other. Good , knowledgable crowds / bookies attend every meeting and the standar for the grade of track is high imo. If you like your sport down to earth but pleasant and friendly then this is the place you should visit at least once. When down south i enjoy SANDOWN [ same reasons as ALEXMAC ] and a sunny summer monday night out at WINDSOR is the dogs , to use the vernacular ;) LEAST FAV - KEMPTON stands out head and shoulders above any other course i've been to . at least on the AW . No crowd , no atmosphere , shitty low-grade over-priced racing . Racing's very own version of HELL :@ One other gripe i have about the Northern English courses is why did they built parts of these tracks in areas where the paying spectator can't see the action for a fair bit of race . NEWCASTLE + CARLISLE are the 2 i've experienced and i believe that HEXHAM + SEDGEFIELD are the same !! I know these were built decades ago and with the big-screen tv's these days it's not so bad . Other than that those 2 tracks i've been to are pretty decent for a day out .

This thread has more posts. To see them, you'll need to sign up or sign in.