Sandown - 6/12/08

Should be going to san. for this. 2.00 Free World 15 pts Has had a bit of reputation this one and over hurdles in limited runs in this country he never really showed it. However on his first chase bow he was impressive. He took to these fences well with a good front running performance especially for a novice. I think the form of that run is good too, the second won very easily since, the third unfortunately broke a blood vessel in a race that would have provided a key line for this race but he was a useful hurdler as was the fourth, planet of sound who is well regarded by hobbs so there seems a solid sense about that first run. He steps up in class today and there looks to be quite a lot of early pace if free world makes it which Im not sure he will, with the johnson and king horse (impressive lto) but free world won nicely here lto and I think can do so again. 2.35 Master Minded 4/6 wh bog 15 pts Considered the double on the PN pair but just going with two singles. Quite simply here is the proven class act. Was simply breathtaking in last years QMCC in easily the most stylish performance of the festival. Won by a canter that day and if he runs anything up to than surely he wins this. Admitedly he was beaten afterwards when maybe the trip and even a bit of the effects of the previous performance told. However he makes his seasonal return at 2m today and should be primed for this well established target. I like the fact that he is a c and d winner here, something the main rival tidal bay has to prove as his jumping will have a severe examination today and it will be interesting to see how he copes. I like Tidal Bay and backed him in the arkle he put together a good jumping round in the main having previously been questionable in that department and was a very good winner. He also confirmed his class at ain. and showed his well being lto. However I do have in the back of my mind how will he cope with some of the fences here at real speed which there will be tomorrow especially with the trail blazer from germany here and also that he may need further in time, in fact he has already proven his ability over further. Besides if the MM of March turns up then most of these I playing for second place. Master Minded for me. 3.05 Wingman 9/1 var bog 7.5 pts e.w Wingman ran well enough in this race last year when third admittedly off a mark much lower than today. However I feel last years race was stronger than this years one, I dont feel there is a ring the boss, breedsbreeze in this years contest and wingman is a horse who Im not convinced we have got to the bottom of yet. He went onto win the competitive tote gold cup last year and whilst he has risen in the weights since then, his run lto encourages for this race today. When ridden by an inexperienced rider and clearly not the yards first choice, he stayed on reasonably eye catchingly having been originally outpaced to be sixth. Now that run will need to be improved on today, for a start to overturn the form with kings revenge but it wouldnt surprise me whatsoever to see wingman surprise one or two later today. He likes it round here having won and that decent third in the race last year, the ground should be ideal and the yard do extremely well at targetting their horses for races of this nature and wingman's run lto suggested to me he might be one such horse. 3.35 Rambling Minster 7/1 var bog 7.5 pts e.w Like the look of this really dour stayer here. Admittedly I liked him lto too but he just couldnt quite have that little bit extra pace required and in the end just only plugged on to be sixth. However the extra test provided today will only help him further in regard to stamina, he is a rare breed in that he has won over the unusual 4m+ plus trip already and that will help later today given how this often is won by a horse with real extreme stamina credentials. Indeed he was entered for the kelso nat. which he won last year but he has perhaps significantly chosen this instead. The ground shouldnt be too much of a problem, he probably will be that much fitter for his first two runs this season which even lto was probably still needed, he has experience over these fences already which I feel is important here and whilst perhaps he doesnt immediately strike as one who has loads of pounds in hand on the handiapper, he has conditions he should relish that should make him solid enough to be in the mix.

This thread has more posts. To see them, you'll need to sign up or sign in.