Good luck, bad luck, fate, whatever

glceud

Any one believe in any of these things? Have played 5 mtt's tonight and been knocked out of all of them when well ahead when the chips went in only to lose them all on the river. Now I've also had nights when every card at every table has fallen my way too, so I'm not bitter. It just emphasises the point. So should you stop playing after one or two bad beats on an unlucky night and carry on playing for 24hours on a lucky night? Reminds me of an old Sgt Bilko episode. Only one tourney left tonight so I'll post the bad beat there in half an hour.

Re: Good luck, bad luck, fate, whatever I just shrug it off and get on with the next one! :ok The way I play I tend to be ahead when the chips go in too, Glceud...I'm sure that's better than being behind but sometimes you do wonder......:lol:lol Plenty more tournies...just keep playing them as you are and you'll be fine! :D TQM

Re: Good luck, bad luck, fate, whatever Not really... although when I stupidly reraised, then called an all in, with A7 on a 7xx board, saw AA, and hit a 7 on the turn earlier on tonight in a satellite for $530 it did cross my mind it was going to be a good day!! :)

Re: Good luck, bad luck, fate, whatever Aye mate, I believe in the goddess of luck that rules the poker table. The rivergoddess I call her often. She is a cruel and sadistic beauty, but when she's sweet to you, you can't help but love her :P lol, just kidding. Maybe it's something like being in form (running hot or cold)? Hmmm... luck hey? I believe that there are people who believe in luck? Even if luck doesn't exist you have to know the luck chasers and punish them (make it expensive) when they chase a hand to often. And losing all-inns when you're ahead time after time... well odds are that you will win more often then you lose those in the long run, so just keep doing that and you will win your showdowns again. Anyway, taking a breather after getting a few badbeats can be a good idea even if there is no such thing as luck, just to prevent yourself from going on tilt and try the low %'s yourself :P

Re: Good luck, bad luck, fate, whatever You got that software that combined with poker tracker works out if you've just been unlucky or lucky in a lot of races? The combined odds of my 5 "bad beats" are just under 1,075,000 to 1 Now its not the first time and I havent been all in over a million times. No bad bet in the last tourney all with pkt kings called by pkt aces. Edit I still had 200 chips left and went all in with Ak guy reraises all in (to isolate?) with A7........guess what a 7 on the river (there was one on the flop too mind so maybe my luck is improving)

Re: Good luck, bad luck, fate, whatever

No
At an absolute push I can accept someone might not believe in luck in the poker context in which the question is raised. But in life in general, luck of both kinds is as good a word as any for things that happen over which you have no direct control - some of which bring pleasure and some pain.

Re: Good luck, bad luck, fate, whatever The problem (for me anyway) is that a continuation of terrible beats leads to a frustration that seems to inevitably lead to bad play. It's tough to avoid and if you can, you are in a very good place. I, however, cry like a girl, post on here, and loses plenty of money chasing losses:unsure

Re: Good luck, bad luck, fate, whatever 4 different headline definitions for 'chance' in my online dictionary : chance (LUCK) noun the force that causes things to happen without any known cause or reason for doing so chance (LIKELIHOOD) noun likelihood; the level of possibility that something will happen chance (OPPORTUNITY) noun an occasion which allows something to be done; an opportunity chance (RISK) noun a possibility that something negative will happen; a risk so that leaves us hoping for good opportunities to assess the likelihood of the risk of not ending up with the winning hand or something like that ! definitely the whatever factor ;)

Re: Good luck, bad luck, fate, whatever Whatever you do, don't love lady luck to much. She's not very dependable, but on the other side don't be afraight to take chances otherwise bad luck will kill you instead of only hurting you. Try and create your own luck. Realize what is opportunity and what isn't. :ok

Re: Good luck, bad luck, fate, whatever Its special tables that mean you are eligible for the Bad Beat bonus ...... where as you know you need 8888 or better beaten ..... both hole cards to be used .... played to a show down , etc etc etc :rollin. Although they are eventually won I guess the site covers it in rake by the time it is lol

Its special tables that mean you are eligible for the Bad Beat bonus ...... where as you know you need 8888 or better beaten ..... both hole cards to be used .... played to a show down , etc etc etc :rollin. Although they are eventually won I guess the site covers it in rake by the time it is lol
cheers

GaF..... are you saying that 'luck' doesn't exist? :unsure
Luck is just a term for favourable fortune. I believe in jinxes though which is totally illogical but I know a few people who are definitely unlucky to be around:unsure:lol

Re: Good luck, bad luck, fate, whatever Quote:

Originally Posted by glceud viewpost.gif So should you stop playing after one or two bad beats on an unlucky night
to get back to the original question ........ yes' date=' but we don't do we ![/quote'] If our play is not affected by what has happened, then why should we stop playing? :unsure The cards have no memory and the "luck" we have or dont have in our next game will not be impacted by the "luck" we had in the previous two games "Luck" doesn't exist (just IMO of course) from the perspective that if you toss a coin three times and make the wrong choice on all 3 times, then you are more likely to get the selection wrong in the next toss because it is an "unlucky night". Retrospectively you can look at any trend and explain it as "lucky" or "unlucky" when it is just random variance but "luck" from the past cannot be used to explain "luck" in the future - because it's not "luck", it's just random variance that you have managed to see a pattern in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glceud viewpost.gif So should you stop playing after one or two bad beats on an unlucky night
If our play is not affected by what has happened, then why should we stop playing? :unsure The cards have no memory and the "luck" we have or dont have in our next game will not be impacted by the "luck" we had in the previous two games "Luck" doesn't exist (just IMO of course) from the perspective that if you toss a coin three times and make the wrong choice on all 3 times, then you are more likely to get the selection wrong in the next toss because it is an "unlucky night". Retrospectively you can look at any trend and explain it as "lucky" or "unlucky" when it is just random variance but "luck" from the past cannot be used to explain "luck" in the future - because it's not "luck", it's just random variance that you have managed to see a pattern in.
Normal variance and probability have nothing to do with luck,however to lose to 3 3 outers a 2 outer and a runner runner straight can not be explained by probability(well it can but its an awfully big number) They were also my only all ins during the games. Whatever the odds are I doubt if I have been all in tourneys that many times. Inexplicable runs of bad variance and good variance are far too extreme to be explained mathematically(even by Slapdash). Much better to listen to cosmic guru Runadrum;)

Re: Good luck, bad luck, fate, whatever Not sure what I'd call it, but I definitely believe in something. There are days when nothing goes right, and other days when you just have an invincible feeling. But, I will say that I think I've played my best poker since I came back from India - I was told there that doing something good for those less fortunate will bring good to you - maybe its true :ok

Re: Good luck, bad luck, fate, whatever Ah, but that's Karma, not luck. :ok Can't believe run has replied 6 times on this thead and still not commented on the Sgt Bilko reference in the first post. ;)

Shit meant to quote my post and edited it instead, no way of geting it back is there?
I might be able to get it back - which post was it?

Re: Good luck, bad luck, fate, whatever It was post 6, cheers helen. Actually if you think about it I was extremely lucky to get into so many dominating positions therefore its only fair that I lost them all. Luck has to balance out afterall. Classic Bilko, watched it as a wean and it might explain why I've spent my life gambling!