S01E01P01 SitCom: Heads Up With GaF

GaF

Series summary here - SitCom: Heads Up with GaF - Series 1 Summary Series 1, Episode 1, Part 1 Heads Up with Gaf SWF Video link is here (6.5MB) - http://rapidshare.de/files/40660820/E01P01.swf.html Avi version of Video (14MB) - http://rapidshare.de/files/40678517/S01E01P01.avi.html I sat down at an empty table - Heads Up NLHE 25c/50c - and waited for my first victim. He duly arrived - billi_bons_1 - a name I recognised but have never sat with before. Why did I recognise him? I'd flagged him as a bad losing player and had tried sitting with him a number of times, but never managed it. Rather strangely, he sometimes plays 2 tables - why would a losing player multi table? When I see that I tend to give them a bit more respect and assume their losses could be simply variance at this stage - but his losses from the hands I've seen so far have been heavy! We both have $50 stacks - so we're playing for 100xBB. Hand 1 - 9h6h - I fold my button Hand 2 - 9d5h - he gives me a walk Hand 3 - AdKs - I'm not folding my button this time - I make a standard 3xBB raise. He folds HUD - During this hand, my Hud appears for him. I have 1007 hands data over which he has lost $376 (that's 37 "Big Bets" per 100 hands, or in iBigBlinds that would be 74 BB/100) His VPIP is 47% and his PFR is 26% - I dont view that as too bad - in his shoes I would like a slightly higher PFR percentage. From the big blind, he will fold to my button raises 49% of the time - so that's reasonably tight, I know that I can raise quite loosely from my button. From his button/SB his VPIP is 61% and his PFR is 37% - so he is limping quite a lot from his button! He continuation bets 51% of the time - which is less than a lot of players. When I continuation bet, he should fold about 38% of the time. He will call 46% of the time and he will reraise 16% - this is quite an aggressive response to cbets. (When I say "He will" - I know this is a small non representative sample - I really mean something like "Initial indications from previous tendancies are that he is likely to....") His aggression factor is 2 on the flop, 4 on the turn and 7 on the river. So he really steps up the agression progressively through each street. The 3bet and 4bet stats I've not really used that much yet, or fully got my head around how/when to use them - however he has 3bet 20% of the time he has the opportunity. He folds to a 3bet 58% of the time - that sounds huge and seems to make him well worth 3betting! He 4bets 17% of the time and he folds to a 4bet 69% of the time - again that sounds massive - even when he shows aggression, it looks like he can frequently be pushed off of pots. The Went to showdown stat of 26% is very low. This (with the fold to 3bet/4bet stats)seems indicative of a pretty weak player. His Won money at showdown stat of 52% is decent enough (he wins more often than not when he gets to showdown) Hand 4 - 5h3s - He checks into me and we see a flop. Kc 7S 4c. I have a gutshotstraight at the idiots end. We check check and the 6h completes my straight and gives me the second nuts. The pot is small, and a flush draw is out there. I need to try and build a pot, but he has shown no strength yet, so it could be difficult to win anything. I raise pot anyway, but unfortunately he folds. Hand 5 - 8s2h - I fold my button again Hand 6 - 8c7d - He gives me a walk from his button Hand 7 - 5c4s - I have low unsuited connectors - from the button I'm generally happy to play these and raise a standard 3xBB. He folds. Hand 8 - Td5c - He gives me a walk from his button Hand 9 - 7h2h - I fold my button Hand 10 - 9h5h - He gives me a walk from his button Hand 11 - KsKc - I make a standard 3xBB raise. He calls and I have a good enough flop with 3 undercards. Js7s5d. He checks, I bet 60% of pot and he folds Hand 12 - 9h9s - He makes a standard 3xBB button raise, I reraise 4x his bet and he folds Hand 13 - 9h7s - One gap unsuited connectors - hands that I've identified seem to cost me!! However I cannot resist a button raise and go 3xBB!!! Fortunately he folds before I can get myself into trouble post flop! Hand 14 - Jc7h - he limps button and I check to see a flop. Qc3c3d. A paired board - should be a good board to take a stab at? But I check and he checks behind. Turn is a blank 4s. He could have any 2 here, so I check and he checks behind. The river is Th - I have nothing and it's a small pot - just not worth bothering with I check and fold to his pot sized bet Hand 15 - 9d8h - unsuited connectors - good enough for a 3x button raise. He folds. Hand 16 - Th9h - suited connectors out of position. He completes. Action on me - what now? Specific Questions 1) What are your initial impression on villain so far? 2) What do you think of T9s, out of position, against this opponent with 100xBB stacks? 3) What is your action now? 4) What do you want that action to achieve? Anything else of interest?

Re: S01E01P01 SitCom: Heads Up With GaF Specific Questions 1) What are your initial impression on villain so far?- makes Helen look loose aggressive 2) What do you think of T9s, out of position, against this opponent with 100xBB stacks? any two cards look the same you raise he folds 3) What is your action now? raise he folds 4) What do you want that action to achieve? him to fold and me to make another 50 cents Anything else of interest? are you not bored with this yet?

Re: S01E01P01 SitCom: Heads Up With GaF I like the idea of this GaF! Good Luck and I will look forward to future 'episodes'! I have dwnloaded the video and watched it so these are my answers to your questions: Specific Questions 1) What are your initial impression on villain so far? Seems tight/be careful to get into big pots with them. 2) What do you think of T9s, out of position, against this opponent with 100xBB stacks? Very strong hand, even out of position..... tis the money making hand! 3) What is your action now? I'd raise to 1.50 4) What do you want that action to achieve? hopefully you will have control of this pot. Anything else of interest? over time I think with your aggression you'll be able to take a fair amount off money of this player.

Re: S01E01P01 SitCom: Heads Up With GaF I am no Heads Up player, just answering the questions asked as I see them Specific Questions 1) What are your initial impression on villain so far? Tight. Weak. Seems safe to assume that he only proceeds with hands he likes. 2) What do you think of T9s, out of position, against this opponent with 100xBB stacks? Very playable. 3) What is your action now? a) As you have been making standard 3x raises, I would do the same here. b) If he flats, I would put him on A2s+, 22+, A9o+, KJo+, K9s+, QJo, QJs. If he 3bets I would narrow that down to A8s+, 77+, ATo+, KJs+, QJo, QJs. I would then go by these ranges when the flop comes down. Depending on the size of his 3bet I would flat if he's raised no more than 9BBs, or fold if it is 10BB+ - I do want to see a flop with this hand, but if he's 3betting strongly then I think you can put him on a narrow range of hands with which we need to improve massively on the flop to be beating. c) If the flop comes down wet with big cards I would check - min-raise, providing he bets no more than 75% of pot. d) If the flop comes down raggedy low-ish cards I would lead out 60% of pot (as you have done earlier) to keep some consistency with my bet sizes. e) If a 'nice' flop comes down, say a completed straight, or draws to a flush and a straight, then I would be check - min-raising (completed hand) or check - calling (drawing). 4) What do you want that action to achieve? a) To narrow down his range of hands. b) I want to see a flop and have a narrower range in my mind of what he could have. c) Given his propensity to fold to bets, I want to ask him the question without paying too much. If he 3bets I fold, if he flats then I am done with the hand, check-fold on turn. d) I do get the feeling he doesn't make too many 'moves' and when he stays in a hand he has hit the board in some way. If he calls here and the turn isn't a scare card then I am betting again. If he calls/raises that then I am done with the hand. If he raises here then I am folding - putting him on an overpair. e) Providing I have completed a hand I want to be building the pot gradually, keeping him in with the odds to try and improve so he can hang himself. If I am drawing I want to do so cheaply as possible. Anything else of interest? I repeat I am no Heads Up player and I am no cash player, comments on where I would be going wrong would be welcomed - so I can improve :ok

Re: S01E01P01 SitCom: Heads Up With GaF

As you have been making standard 3x raises' date=' I would do the same here.[/quote'] Do you feel adjustment for "standard" raise size by position is reasonable? So far all of the 3x raises have been from a position of power - here I am OOP and that would tend to make me raise bigger - why? because Villain, in position, is able to call wider because he has position - a larger raise is required here IMO to get the same answer from the villain as a 3x raise in position :unsure

Re: S01E01P01 SitCom: Heads Up With GaF I don't like raising out of position with suited connecters, a large % of the time i would just flat call there. If you are raising why make it more than the standard raise? To me a large raise would be saying that you no longer want to continue with the hand unless it's a double bluff of course.

I don't like raising out of position with suited connecters, a large % of the time i would just flat call there. If you are raising why make it more than the standard raise? To me a large raise would be saying that you no longer want to continue with the hand unless it's a double bluff of course.
I'm not suggesting a larger raise because it's suited connectors - I'm suggesting a larger raise because I'm out of position - the larger raise would be for all holdings that I decide to raise with, including, for example, aces. The size of the raise will give no indication as to the strength of my hand.

Do you feel adjustment for "standard" raise size by position is reasonable? So far all of the 3x raises have been from a position of power - here I am OOP and that would tend to make me raise bigger - why? because Villain' date=' in position, is able to call wider because he has position - a larger raise is required here IMO to get the same answer from the villain as a 3x raise in position :unsure[/quote'] With this particular player I think a 3x raise would work the same as a (what were you thinking in terms of size?) 4/5x raise. I don't think he has just ATC, but neither has he got a 'good' hand or he would have raised rather than just flat called from the button. If he does call then he has a playable hand, and I want to be keeping the pot small until I see the flop.

Re: S01E01P01 SitCom: Heads Up With GaF for sure - the problem with raising bigger out of position is that you're playing a bigger pot out of position - I think this is largely counteracted though by having a tighter range - typically HU I will be raising something like 60% of hands 3x in position, but will be raising 15-20% of hands 4x out of position - what I'm losing by raising bigger I'm gaining by having better cards :unsure This is good - I dont know whether I should be raising bigger out of position, so it's good if we can work out why we should be doing it and why we shouldn't be doing it....

Re: S01E01P01 SitCom: Heads Up With GaF Against this type of opponent I would want to see loads of flops and outplay him therefore I would keep all my raises the same size. He seems too abc to me and would overvalue his big pairs so if you hit the flop hard you're very likely to be paid off.

Re: S01E01P01 SitCom: Heads Up With GaF So those better cards you have, by raising to 4x you're risking driving the other hand out of the pot? Make a standard 3x raise and you're disguising the strength of your hand, then if the flop comes down and completes a set of say your TT, KK etc, you can make another 'standard' say 40% c-bet and the opponent won't give you the credit for the hand you have, and could push back at you? Alternatively, you've raised 3x preflop with a hand like the one in question, you completely miss the flop, you can get away cheaper?