BACK TESTING DATA - OPINIONS NEEDED

Guest smudge

Guest smudge

i have been running a system for a while now which seems to looking quite good and i want to back test the system over the entire season. the trouble is i place a significant emphasis on PPG [points per game] won by the home/away team over the course of the season/last 8 games/last 5home/away games - basically the data you can get from football365. trouble is i cannot get this retro data to back test my system and looks like i will be producing it myself over the summer. now - would this interest anybody else? i have a sample loaded here: arsenal for arsenal. the focus is on the PPG for now but i could add GFA + GAA [goal for and against] averages if that receives interest! let me know if this could be of interest now or in the future! if it goes down well i will try and make the data more dynamic allowing easier collection! ---edit---- NEW VERSION NOW UPLOADED! cheers

Guest MIWAYNE

Re: BACK TESTING DATA - OPINIONS NEEDED Hi smudge. Looks interesting so far. Have you visited joe's footy data site? : football-data.co.uk Back testing many ideas is made very easy with these stats. Best of luck. Is your idea based solely over ppg across varying lengths of time for each team?

Guest smudge

Re: BACK TESTING DATA - OPINIONS NEEDED hi MIWAYNE and thanks for the comments! yes i know of joe's site - a treasue for the stats nerd - but i don't think it gives me with i specifically need for my system back-testing. PPG is the most significant factor in my systems yes - but i'll not tell you how ;) current yield 12.45% over 90 selections - hoping to have about 400+ selections after 2002/03 back-test!

Guest smudge

Re: BACK TESTING DATA - OPINIONS NEEDED that sounds brilliant gilward and i appreciate your offer :) but i'll need the stats for each team before each match and i guess that might be a bit much to ask! is your access database online anywhere or just running on your local machine? i am hoping to teach myself some database skills this summer but it would be good to see what i can do with the thing! cheers!

Re: BACK TESTING DATA - OPINIONS NEEDED My database is not online. (I do not know how to do that, and it would probably be too expensive for me.) So what I can do for you is: Tell me which leagues and seasons you want the data for. I will then calculate your data (yes, for every single game!) and put the data into a table in my database. If you have MS Access, I can give you that table directly. I can also put the data into one or more textfiles (data separated by ";") and give them to you. The table has one row for each game. I suggest the following columns: country division season date home away GH GA HTPPG HTGFA HTGAA H8PPG H8GFA H8GAA HHTPPG HHTGFA HHTGAA HH5PPG HH5GFA HH5GAA ATPPG ATGFA ATGAA A8PPG A8GFA A8GAA AATPPG AATGFA AATGAA AA5PPG AA5GFA AA5GAA Explanation: country: an abbreviation for the country, e.g. "eng" for England division: a number; "0" means highest division, "1" means second-highest division... season: e.g. "02_03" date: date of the match home: home team in the match away: away team in the match GH: goals for the home team in this match GA: goals for the away team in this match The other columns contain the calculated data. They represent the status BEFORE the match was played. HTPPG means: PPG for all previous games of the home team H8PPG means: PPG for the last 8 games of the home team HHTPPG means: PPG for all previous home games of the home team HH5PPG means: PPG for the last 5 home games of the home team ATPPG means: PPG for all previous games of the away team A8PPG means: PPG for the last 8 games of the away team AATPPG means: PPG for all previous away games of the away team AA5PPG means: PPG for the last 5 away games of the away team The rest of the columns is for GFA and GAA instead of PPG. Is that fine? So, choose your leagues and seasons. Gilward Greetings from Austria We have just won against Scotland, this mighty nation! ;)

Guest smudge

Re: BACK TESTING DATA - OPINIONS NEEDED hi gilward....and congratulations on austria win tonight :) that's terribly kind of you to offer these stats. if it really is no bother at all then i need season 2002/03 stats for EPL / DIV1 / DIV2 / DIV3 the stats i am interested in are: ALL FIXTURES (home & away): PTS PPG GFA GAA LAST 8GAMES (home & away): PTS won PPG GFA GAA ALL HOME GAMES: PTS PPG GFA GAA ALL AWAY GAMES: PTS PPG GFA GAA LAST 5HOME GAMES: PTS PPG GFA GAA LAST 5AWAY GAMES: PTS PPG GFA GAA and thats about it! i do have access but i don't really know how to use it! a CSV file that i can open in excel would be perfect! my email address is smudge at winningpicks dot co dot uk many thanks gilward i really owe you one - if you need a favour from an englishman living in helsinki then don't hesitate to ask ;)

Re: BACK TESTING DATA - OPINIONS NEEDED Here are the data. Is that what you want? I hope it is correct. Stats as CSV file Stats as Excel file Stats as Access file Explanation of the columns: GH-GA Result of the match H... Home team, all games H8... Home team, last 8 games HH... Home team, all home games HH5... Home team, last 5 home games HA... Home team, all away games HA5... Home team, last 5 away games A... Away team, all games A8... Away team, last 8 games AH... Away team, all home games AH5... Away team, last 5 home games AA... Away team, all away games AA5... Away team, last 5 away games The data next to a match were valid before the match was played.

Guest muppet

Re: BACK TESTING DATA - OPINIONS NEEDED gilward - i have been trying to backtest some systems, but i can't seem to work out how to do it. i am fairly fluent in excel, and have access, but know next to nothing about it. i need to create columns with previous goal averages in for the home team (home for and home against) and for the away team (away for and away against), prior to each game. is this easy to do, and how do i go about doing it? (excel much more useful for me!) i am particularly interested in last season's french and spanish league. thanks for any advice in advance. ;)

Re: BACK TESTING DATA - OPINIONS NEEDED Sorry, it is too difficult for me to explain this. English is a foreign language to me. I wrote Visual Basic code to do the calculations. In the code, I use DAO-Recordsets. You should also know how to use SQL. I can't explain this all in detail. You'll have to look it up. But I can produce the data for you. That's easy. :) Do you want the same calculations that I made for smudge, but for France and Spain? Season 02_03 or 01_02? Or both? Gilward

Guest muppet

Re: BACK TESTING DATA - OPINIONS NEEDED i have heard of vbasic but not dao or sql!!!!!!!!! how easy is it to do ? i would appreciate it if you could do french and spanish 01/02 season. all i need is home team's home goal average for, and against, and also away team's away goal average for and against. your english is superb!!!!!!!!!!!!! hope this is not too time consuming. cheers mate - owe you one. ;)

Re: BACK TESTING DATA - OPINIONS NEEDED Okay, here's your pizza: Stats for France & Spain as Access file If you want it in another format, all you have to do is open the database, right-click on the only table ("Stats") and choose "Export". You can export it to an Excel file or textfile or whatever.

how easy is it to do ?
Well, not so easy. Or maybe I just don't know the easiest way to do it ;)

Guest muppet

Re: BACK TESTING DATA - OPINIONS NEEDED gilward - thanks so much for the data - it is exactly what i needed. it must have taken hours!! i'm still a novice at access, and trying to work out how to paste data from excel into access. the fra/spa data is excellent, and the database you wrote is so useful (once i get it running!!) if there's anything i can do - just let me know!!! once again - cheers mate. you are a star. :D :D :D

Guest smudge

Re: BACK TESTING DATA - OPINIONS NEEDED gilward, your data has let me back-test my system in basically a day - if i had had to produce the data myself it would have taken weeks!!!! however, having done this season, with encoraging results for EPL, i am keen to back-test further! i don't suppose you have the same data for a couple of seasons do you? i would love to do the last 2 seasons (or 3 or 4) for EPL (or all 4 leagues) to see how the system performs over time - is it possible? i am sorry for asking more of you as you have been an absolute diamond so far but if you could possibly manage this then i promise i would not ask anymore of you ;) cheers

Guest muppet

Re: BACK TESTING DATA - OPINIONS NEEDED gilward - as i said i am a complete novice with access. i have just tried to import some excel data into the "games" sheet. unfortunately i am finding this difficult as it wants me to import it to a new sheet, rather than to "games". what am i doing wrong???:rolleyes

Re: BACK TESTING DATA - OPINIONS NEEDED smudge :) 18308 games for smudge Muppet, maybe wrong data types of columns, or wrong number of columns, or wrong names of columns, or something like that. If you download Football.zip again, you will find a new version. It does not help you with the import, but it can do the calculations faster (I think).

Guest smudge

Re: BACK TESTING DATA - OPINIONS NEEDED gilward i wanted to repay you for your services so i just bought EZsupporter for you :) would like to know if you receive anything from EZboard to confirm this? check your EZ status now ;) thanks again mate!

Guest OddsAgainst

Re: BACK TESTING DATA - OPINIONS NEEDED No message in your Ezboard inbox then? Get your badge turned on. wink.gif

Guest muppet

Re: BACK TESTING DATA - OPINIONS NEEDED gilward - just successfully imported data - you were correct - column headings have to be the same. what a happy ending for everyone! cheers mate. ;)